Couple of questions from noobie

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

El_Ingeniero

Couple of questions from noobie

Post by El_Ingeniero »

Hi!

I was wondering...

- Whenever I click Ctrl+Ins to open a new tab, this tab opens a subfolder of the previous one - is there anyway to make the tab blank? sometimes it opens a big subfolder that slows down the whole process!

- Is there anyway to create a tab by clicking on a bookmark? that is, the bookmark opens its own tab

- when I try to preview a *.doc file, xplorer tries to open it; is that due to a setting I need to adjust?

I have tried googling for an answer for the above but no chance - I hope someone can help me!

Thanks,

J
El_Ingeniero

Post by El_Ingeniero »

... sorry, I left one question out: my drive bar is empty! is there anyway i can fill it up with the drives?

Thanks again!

E.I.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

@ drive bar is empty -
That was an issue in older versions when used on w7.  Please update your x2 to the current release (v1.8.0.12)

@ new tab -
Each tab shows a folder, so it cannot be blank.  By design a new tab will open another view of the existing folder, or to a subfolder if you have one selected.  As a workaround, create a new folder [F8] and leave it selected before opening a new tab, the tab will open to the new empty folder.

@ create a tab by clicking on a bookmark -
This has been requested, but not implemented AFIK.

@ preview a *.doc file -
By definition, the Native preview tab uses the native app (MS Word) to open and view .doc files.
Use the Draft preview tab to get an unformatted preview of the text in the file without opening Word.
El_Ingeniero

Post by El_Ingeniero »

Thanks a lot, that's very kind!

EI
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

fgagnon wrote:@ create a tab by clicking on a bookmark -
I think it would also be nice if a bookmark could be opened in a dual pane, with a single click.
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

fgagnon wrote:@ create a tab by clicking on a bookmark -
Actually.... Could this be accomplished via a "Folder Group?"
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Couple of questions from noobie

Post by snakebyte »

El_Ingeniero wrote: - Is there anyway to create a tab by clicking on a bookmark? that is, the bookmark opens its own tab
You can use menu++ to manage your bookmarks. Menu++ opens bookmarks in a new tab.
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

snakebyte wrote: 2010 Sep 22, 00:45
El_Ingeniero wrote: - Is there anyway to create a tab by clicking on a bookmark? that is, the bookmark opens its own tab
You can use menu++ to manage your bookmarks. Menu++ opens bookmarks in a new tab.
Is this possible now natively?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

no
you can use the quick access list (tree) or the miniscrap if you want to open new tabs
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

nikos wrote: 2021 May 04, 06:24 you can use the quick access list (tree) or the miniscrap if you want to open new tabs
I must be missing something.. whenever I double-click folders in the tree list view or the miniscrap, they open in the active tab, new tabs are not being created.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you must use FILE > NEW TAB menu command or the equivalent keyboard shortcut
if you are in the tree, you can use the middle mouse button -- but most touchpads are no longer capable of middle mouse clicks...
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

nikos wrote: 2021 May 04, 08:10 you must use FILE > NEW TAB menu command or the equivalent keyboard shortcut
That's how I was doing it for more than a decade now, I was wondering if there's a way to do it without having to open a new tab first.
I think that a workaround is to use user commands instead of bookmarks to launch predefined folder paths with X2 and I might do just that.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you do file > new tab while a folder is selected (e.g. the tree) then you both open a new tab and browse a new folder
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

I have extensively used that command and it's helpful when the browsing context remains the same, but assuming I want to make new tabs from bookmarks, I would first have to make a new tab and then access a bookmark, which is two separate actions (with the downside that sometimes the new tab opens a selected folder that has a lot of items and slows down the process).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that's why I suggested using the new QAL instead of your bookmarks, so you can have them easily opened in tabs with middle click etc
bookmarks are fairly inflexible