xplorer2 under construction

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

TKC285

hide empty USB drives

Post by TKC285 »

Hello, Nikos,

I hope X2 can automatically hides the empty USB drives (card reader) on the drive bar and shows the drive name as a card was inserted.

Thanks.
ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ckit »

TKC285,
USB Safely Remove 4.3 already does this.
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

narayan wrote:I actually thought that all modes of closing the applications were actually the same (click on red x and the two you mentioned).
They are not the same. And because of this I suggested in the past already to provide an option to place the alt-x-equivalent into the toolbar.

As far as I remember nikos' only response was reminding the keyboard-shortcut. Really funny, that he is not sure about the other shortcuts himself.

Missing an option for getting the ctrl-alt-shift-h equivalent into the toolbar is the same story. nikos cannot tell the shortcuts for sure, but he expects the user to do so. :evil:

The new version would provide the possibility to correct this.
redwards

Small Visual Thing - Change Attributes

Post by redwards »

on my system the AM/PM for the dates are being cut off. Can you make the box a bit bigger?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Please, redwards:
? what system, what view style, what font, size, etc, :?

Being specific will help resolve issues unless we can find a knowledgeable clairvoyant to help.  ;)
mbrown3

Post by mbrown3 »

Would love to see:

1. Bookmarks added to Drive Bar (or, at least, its own toolbar)
2. ability to quickly/easily "zoom"/resize folder contents a la Windows 7 (without losing ability to read folder names):
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

I'd like the robust copy/move not only to warn if a target path/folder doesn't exist but to offer to create the folder and complete the transfer action.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

When the source file is Read Only, F6 silently copies the file. Let x2 issue a warning that the source file is not going to be deleted.
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

Not sure if this is possible...  Have a Command Line argument to "open with folder of most resently edited file shown."  I.e. If I'm working on a file, then save and close it, then open x2, it will open the folder for that file.  I guess I'd want x2 to exclude system files from this.  Thoughts?  Thanks.

EDIT: Even better, would be if the argument caused x2 to scan the relevant folders for updated files, but only open the most recent one IF it was modified within the last 2 minutes.  

This way, if I'm working on an image or file and then need to do someother action with it (as I often do), x2 will smartly go right to the file.  But if there aren't any resently modified files, then it can just open normally.
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

Maybe list the autofilter items alphabetically...
Live life...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

kunkel321 why don't you get in the 'recent' items folder and arrange by date?
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

When a new device is added, maybe have the tree update with a 'bold' entry, italic, colored - or user configurable, or the drivebar update with a bold entry, to distinguish the new drive.  can maybe appear normal after first use...
Live life...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

profess wrote:When a new device is added, maybe have the tree update with a 'bold' entry, italic, colored - or user configurable, or the drivebar update with a bold entry, to distinguish the new drive.  can maybe appear normal after first use...
Here's a suppository theory... (could be wrong, but could be right, too - much like suppositories the world over).

Curiously, as much as I like this idea, I should point out that it's actually a little messier than you'd imagine.  When a new drive is detected, it's Windows itself doing all the work - slotting it in hardware arrays, registering its type, disposition, general voting history, and sexual preference.  All x2 does is happily go "Hey, Windows says something's changed, so let's do a refresh!" and presto you see a new drive - x2 itself more than likely remains completely agnostic as to what's happened - maybe a baby was born, maybe a dog was shot - it doesn't care, as it's all the same to an indifferent God.

In order to highlight the change in drives, x2 would need to constantly monitor the Before- and After-Status of the bar's/tree's contents on every refresh in order to keep this "awareness" up to date... what if, for argument's sake, two drives were removed and one drive was added during the changeover - as far as x2 is concerned, the D: drive would not be new, as it was there before (even though in reality it's since been replaced by a different drive), so a simple routine would just identify E: as a new drive.  And everybody would cry "Bug!".  Nikos would just sniff and say, "I never liked this idea in the first place" - and resume his blithe place upon Olympus peering down with a divine insouciance at us poor mortals having babies and shooting dogs.

In other words, a foolproof (100% reliable) system of tracking is actually a bit of a pain, for so small a benefit.  Having just spent a few days having fun trying to write a handler in VBS to integrate x2 into managing multiple/changing virtual drives (created from auto-mounted/dismounted image backups), I quickly learned that what seemed a fairly simple idea, was in reality a painful lesson in juggling less-than-bemused porcupines.

Camus and Sartre used to argue endlessly (with the help of a good bottle of brandy and too many Gauloises') about the cosmology of suffering an indifferent (or even absent) deity - they probably never looked at it from the Deity's point of view.  Same applies to file managers - sometimes not caring is the best way to help humanity; keeping everything simple, to run smoothly.

My 2 centimes, on an otherwise good idea. :wink:
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

nikos wrote:kunkel321 why don't you get in the 'recent' items folder and arrange by date?
Nah, that's no good.  The \recent folder is just a bunch of links...  I typically don't need to re-open the file, but to drag-n-drop it, copy it, or something like that.  ..Maybe I can get a menu++ to do what I want via the \recent folder ... Will try.