xplorer2 under construction

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Add a button in the toolbar to launch the console window.

Currently the only way to launch a console window is to type a command in the address bar. But once you launch a console window this way, you can use it like an independent window.

So why not allow the user to launch it first and then use it?
fuxs
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by fuxs »

Besides its old fashioned look (sorry but I could not resist) one main thing bugs me with X2: Handling of (partly unavailable) network shares.
[Using Win7 x64, was the same with Vista 32]

Quite often I have to dial in my company's network via VPN (WLAN or 3G) and use their shares. Several annoyances then work together hand in hand:
- Tree extremely slow on slower networks (therefore I have it disabled mostly but miss it)
- Network shares (configured with drive letters) are disconnected, as I fire up my VPN after having locked into my machine. X2 does not show them in the drive bar. I have to connect the drive with - ups - the tree.
- Missing 'Work online' button: On one resource I have some files marked as offline files. When I open the drive (which is online) X2 shows only offline folders and files. No way to see the online contents of the drive from within X2. Explorer features this button but also shows only the offline files by default.
- Tabs pointing to drives which had not been reconnected will be redirected to 'Desktop'. I normally start with 5-7 'network' tabs open - tab-addresses lost for every drive which is not connected. And no, I do not want to save this set, as I have additional work with it. This just works like it should, when drives are connected at log on - I only want to continue where I left. Additionally all tabs loose their history after restarting X2.

So X2 drives me into following usage pattern, when I want to use my VPN-Shares:
- When shutting down X2 while on company's LAN remember to disable the tree
- Don't start up X2, when some filework is needed but
-- start Win explorer
-- connect four drives manually (click their icons under 'Computer')
-- on one of the drives hit 'Work online' button
- Start X2 and hope that I had disabled the tree.

Nearly all of these issues have one or more threads here, but Nikos, this use case does not seem relevant to you...

I'd really appreciate some steps ahead here, even more than a modestly modernized look and feel... Ah, and I vote for the first three issues wasker named... :)

[edit: Typo removed]
fuxs
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i heard many people bad-mouthing x2 on its network drive handling, you guys are probably right that improvements are possible, but unfortunately i have a small home network only so i cannot test or develop in your circumstances. One day...
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

nikos wrote:i heard many people bad-mouthing x2 on its network drive handling, you guys are probably right that improvements are possible, but unfortunately i have a small home network only so i cannot test or develop in your circumstances. One day...
Here's an idea, why don't you ask a friend or company which has access to a large network if you can plug into their network to better their file management systems by obtaining real life feedback in large network ops.

just an idea, what do I know ?...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ok, if somebody can grant me access to VPN or some other remote large scale network for tests, send me a mail or message
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

is it possible to calculate a single 'large file' checksum, without changing the setting in the settings editor?

certain options are needed 'sometimes' or for a one off, so there could be a menu option to calculate selected files.
Live life...
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Yes :  
Turn on info bars  ( View | Toolbars | Infobars ) and choose to display checksum in the information for the focused item in the pane you are using (R-click in its infobar to get the menu).
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

thanks for clearing that up fgagnon, though slightly misunderstood.

to calculate the checksum the option in Tools > Options > General must be changed in order to calculate large items.  

i wanted to leave the setting alone (at 4mb) and calculate a large file (>150mb) singularly, but like i said the option must be changed in the options screen in order to calculate large files...

though not urgent i think the original idea should be considered for one-off items (no biggy though).

thanks,

Osei.
Live life...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

for that purpose you can have a 'layout' where the checksum limit is increased, and launch that layout window whenever you need large files
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

There is also HashTab.
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

thanks.  downloaded Hashtab and works alright.  I'm looking for something integrated within x2...  i know i can just change the setting, don't get me wrong and i'm not nit picking...

There's loads of little things that we all notice...

It's these little tweaks Nikos that makes life sweet! :)

You have a cake and we're giving/asking for icing...

:)
Live life...
petrjohns

Use Thumbs.db file to speed loading in xplorer thumb view

Post by petrjohns »

Hi Nikos,
I use xplorer to navigate round the contents of my PC rather than Win Explorer because it is soooo much better.
I have a very large collection of photos and (now) AVCHD video clips. For managing these files I use ACDSee Pro but find that for day to day copying, moving, adding comments etc, xplorer2 is much more efficient.
The folders that contain the photos/videos are set to display thumbnails in xplorer2 but unfortunately xplorer2 seems to regenerate the thumbs every time a folder is accessed which takes forever for the m2ts files.
Win Explorer handles thumbnail view much quicker using the Thumbs.db file it generates.
Is it possible to have xplorer2 use this file also (or generate its own) to have instant thumbnail viewing?
Cheers
Peter
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

see the latest beta version it's much faster for thumbnails
http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?t=8276
Echo147

Post by Echo147 »

May have asked this before, but could a file/folder misdrag move the The source and destination file names are the same popup to the status bar? Or an option to suppress it completely?

I've had fights with that cancel button :lol:
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Echo147 wrote:The source and destination file names are the same
Not necessarily what you're looking for, but I had gotten so used to being annoyed by that that I learned to subconsciously ignore it (if that makes sense physiologically) - when I recently switched to just letting (the apparently popular) TeraCopy handle all drag & drops, I was pleasantly surprised to see it just ignores it and cancels the operation silently.  Took me a little while to figure out "what was missing". :D

Good idea to put it in the status bar, though.