xplorer2 under construction

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

Echo147 wrote:May have asked this before, but could a file/folder misdrag move the The source and destination file names are the same popup to the status bar? Or an option to suppress it completely? I've had fights with that cancel button :lol:
This drives me nuts!  I cringe when I realize that I've accidently clicked-n-partially-dragged an item that I don't want to move.  I know that when I drop it I'll get the message.   Fists clench...   Theeth gnash...  Blood pressure rises....   An option to not have that would be good, please.

EDIT:  Muah ha ha....  I just setup Actual Window Manager squash the popup whenever it pops up  :twisted:
petrjohns

Custom sorting of thumbnails - layout for video project

Post by petrjohns »

re Thumbnail viewing
Thanks Nikos - tried the new Beta version and it works brilliantly bringing up the thumbs in an instant.
I have a rather unusual request that relates to video editing.
When assembling clips to put into a video project it is very useful to be able to sort them into the order required visually by shuffling/dragging them around like they were photo slides on a glass table illuminated from below.
In this way one can develop a meaningful movie storyline visually.
Unfortunately only the very expensive professional video editing programs have this feature.
Is there some way that xplorer2 can be set to allow a 'Custom' sort of thumbnails in a folder that will allow what I am after?  Of course the sort order would need to be 'remembered' when xplorer2 is shut down.
Peter
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

The F5/F6 dialogs show tabs from the current pane only. Show tabs from the opposite pane also.

In addition, provide a Program Option to add some locations to the HERE pull-down menu.
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Accidental File Drag Forgiveness

Post by pschroeter »

How about an advance option to turn off the dialog I get when I start to drag a file then drop it back in the folder I'm dragging it from? This happens when I start to move a file and then realize I can't get to the destination folder easily and want to start over. Sometimes it happens when I accidentally move a file slightly. In any event I'm not sure of the dialogs purpose and I have another OK button to click.

"Cannot move File Name the source and destination are the same."
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

accidental drag-drops can be stopped before you see any error messages if you click with the right mouse button or hit ESC key

To rearrange files manually select then press control +shift+up/down key.
railshot

Post by railshot »

I don't suppose rar support is in the works? I know that explorer only supports zip, but hardly anyone uses that anymore. All the archives out there are rar.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

to be honest even the ZIP support is poor, try to add/create a huge zip file and you'll see what I mean... zipfolders are good in the read-only sense though
chp
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

address bar, console, custom commands

Post by chp »

1) address bar: get rid of $ and >
+ once written algorithm can do it faster (and save time) than people dealing with $ >
+ it will fix $ c:\program.. TAB (broken auto-completion)
+ auto-completion for filenames (files/commands in current and system %PATH%, even as arguments) would make life easier
- $$ and >> got to be replaced with a keyshortcut (shift+enter)
- for really long paths a display mechanism should be implemented

2) address bar: key-shortcuts navigation
+ it would greatly save time and nerves to navigate and edit command line (and path) using shortkeys (next/prev word, end/begin line, del word / all-left/right,etc)
+ custom/switchable variants (*unix/win style)

3) console2: prompt and customisation
+ prompt (path/time/etc) would help to prompt (welcome) user in console2, to navigate and see that previous command has completed
+ would be nice to have same key-shortcuts  and path/file auto-completeion as address bar (same/shared code?)

4) archivers support
+ it's a pity to have super-puper filemanager (file/path selection, manipulation) and to open (close afterwards)  another program to list and extract files. there are rar/7z support in other filemanagers + sample codes , it's doable but not available :(
+ even initial/partial support (read-only, no-scrap) would be very welcomed
+ maybe it would be easier to implement "exploer2 API/plugin"support, so third party plugins could be written to work between explorer2 and various archivers/tools?
+ archiver support would be a nice adv for PRO version

5) custom commands
+ customize/usercommands/organize location is too far away (by default)
+ rename (..) and hide "more" when not needed. it isn't obvious that MORE is not about "more commands" and it's "organize" that has "EDIT" (even tooltip in status bar says nothing about edit)
+ open/edit solutions should be 1-click away! new (modern) UI desing ideas/research/poll would be nice. separate for commands/layouts/groups/columns
+ "properties" icon better be replaced with "edit" (pencil) icon. Text could be added (or even replace) icons.
+ "Description" is bad description for "enter commands here" field
+ customize/usercommands/add current - would better add current command from address bar or console2! there are other ways to make shortcuts to .exe or .bat file if needed
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

One fairly small(?) wish I have: make the addressbar ready for drag and drop strings. Just like the Firefox addressbar.
Many times a day I receive paths to files on a fileserver by email, I'd like to easily navigate there, without the need for copy and paste actions.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the addressbar can accept files, but strings?
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

Yes, please, strings. Would be much more useful, at least for me, than the ability to receive drag'n'dropped file objects.
wperkins99
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wperkins99 »

Nikos,

I was struck by one of the post comments: "...I know that explorer only supports zip, but hardly anyone uses that anymore. All the archives out there are rar."

Since I know that ZIP is still the de facto standard for downloading compressed files from software companies and both Shareware and Freeware developers, I knew this comment wasn't accurate. (And, the "battle" of ZIP -v- RAR has lost a lot of significance in this day of $60 Terabyte hard drives.)

That said, it *is* true that many of the other 3rd-party file managers do have limited support for RAR files (Total Commander, Directory Opus, FreeCommander, for example).

Which leads me to this xplorer² discussion and a couple of questions: All of the above file managers, and other programs (Power Archiver, Universal Viewer, XnView, SunBelt's Vipre Anti-Virus, for example), use the "freely distributed" UNRAR.DLL as a "plugin" to their programs. Can xplorer² use plugins? If not, have you considered adding this capability to it?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

xplorer2 is open to shell extensions and there is a mild chance that this project will come of something (but it goes very slowly)
http://7zipshell.codeplex.com/
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

wperkins99 wrote:Since I know that ZIP is still the de facto standard for downloading compressed files from software companies and both Shareware and Freeware developers, I knew this comment wasn't accurate.
I think, as a matter of clarity, when he stated "All the archives out there are RAR" I believe he's referring to all the "more interesting stuff" found on RapidShare, et al, not your "boring and dull" (read with a James Dean sneer) legitimate stuff :wink:.  Indeed, the RAR format is more prevalent in those areas given its self-handling mass-splitting and password protection aspects.  From that point of view, he's not strictly inaccurate, numbers-wise; no self-respecting pirate would bother with anything so pedestrian as ZIP.

While the UnRAR,dll is freely available, its inclusion in 3rd party programs immediately leads to de-facto "mixed licensing" agreements which perhaps some developers don't wish to involve themselves in, no matter how harmless they may be perceived to the end user, who, as Google well knows, will blindly agree to anything you put in an EULA without a second thought. :shrug:

Personally, I've never understood why anyone would want archives integrated - all it does is add another layer of abstraction to the file system leading to further possibility of accidental mishandling by the myriad of dodgy shell extensions in use today - never mind the extra layer of processing necessary to make it seamless.  If you've ever had a friend who bought a netbook "because it was cute", you'd never hear the end of "why is it so slow with these zip-things?"
chp
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chp »

Did you see last checkin date http://7zipshell.codeplex.com/SourceCon ... changesets
"by jachymko Mar 17 2009 at 6:44 PM 131 property store factory, etc ?"

Everything in software is abstraction. Tell it to anyone who opens 7zip application to view/extract something out of archive 64 times a day.

Those DLLs are meant to be used everywhere. If everyone is afraid to mess with them directly, maybe "plugin" support from xplorer2 side will open doors for some third-party solutions.