xplorer2 under construction

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

xplorer2 under construction

Post by nikos »

I am starting work on a small-to-medium update for xplorer2, so if you have a pressing need for a feature, now's the time to talk

mainly I will work to bring things even closer to windows 7, e.g. use the new preview and thumbnail handlers in the "new" windows
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Oooh, easy: fix the contemporary bugs (you should already have a list longer than Santa's), and obliterate the evil file focus.  The latter, contrary to the conservatives, is incredibly annoying with current User Command implementation. (At least add an option.)
RickyF
Silver Member
Silver Member

Add Windows 7 Windows Explorer features

Post by RickyF »

I like the Windows 7 Windows Explorer sidebar with favorites (AKA bookmarks) at the top. You might add this feature to your directory tree.

Also the new Windows 7 address bar with advanced bread crumb features is a big improvement over XP's. It is similar to yours but a more streamlined design.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Add Windows 7 Windows Explorer features

Post by Kilmatead »

RickyF wrote:I like the Windows 7 Windows Explorer sidebar with favorites (AKA bookmarks) at the top. You might add this feature to your directory tree.
As favourites are just Bookmarks, isn't that redundant loss of tree-space?
RickyF wrote:Also the new Windows 7 address bar with advanced bread crumb features is a big improvement over XP's. It is similar to yours but a more streamlined design.
If you mean extending the Right-Click additions, I'd vote for that, too...

kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

Obviously, I'll vote for hi-rez icon support...  Though I realize this isn't a hi-priority item  :wink:
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

You do realise the visible/sensual world is merely an illusion of reality, do you not?  Nikos is an enlightened fellow, so looks down upon such mundane and trivial things, as a man of high culture should. :wink:

That said, he did promise 24x24 some time ago, which would be an improvement.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

hires icons are already here innit? as for larger ones, next time!
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Offline browsing+searching.

Here's the feature-outline:
* User can save the directory listing for his removable media.
 (Just like saving the scrap-pane contents, but with the tree)
* He has to add the media's physical identification (e.g. "Hobbies-5").
* Later he can search for names, size and comments (everything except content) to identify which of his DVDs contain files on the desired subject.
* He can insert the desired DVD and then press ENTER to open the file.

This gives the user complete control over his online and offline contents.
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

RickyF wrote:Also the new Windows 7 address bar with advanced bread crumb features is a big improvement over XP's. It is similar to yours but a more streamlined design.
I hope you don't mean to say you like ME's dropdown menus (click in the address bar, go to a folder in de dropdown menu, click this folder, 'hey, just clicked inbetween the folder icon and the folder name, and now it doesn't react; click again', go back to the address bar, click on the appropiate triangle, go to the next folder in the dropdown menu, click that one, etc etc) better than x2's breadcrumbs (right click in the breadcrumb bar, make some moves with the mouse and one click: end up several layers deeper in the folder structure).  8)

However, I don't like this:
Notice how they unfold backwards: not in the direction of the triangles. Maybe this is a quirck of Vista (in Windows Standard appearance)?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

That last part is not normal behaviour at all, unless there is no room (between the right edge of the context menu and the right side of the screen) to display the appropriate menu-box, so obviously something external to x2 is interfering with the context menu drawing.  If restarting the machine (full restart) doesn't do it, try changing the screen resolution (to smaller then back to normal), or reinstalling your graphics drivers, which should reset the screen resolution boundaries to proper.
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

1)  Floating preview pane, please; pretty please!!

I know I mentioned it many months ago and it was a no-no then, but I still like 2x because of that feature.

2)  Dual status information for each pane would be useful at times. I find myself wanting to see the number of files in the inactive pane, so it would avoid switching panes just to do a quick check.

3)  I don't know if you can improve the display of siblings in the pane header for directories with a large number of entries. At the moment the list can exceed the screen width (even with large displays) and there seems no way of accessing non-visible entries. Enabling scrolling of the list or the option to increase the number of entries per column (preferable)?
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

Woowzers...  That is very much more functional!

And so much more Windows 7 compliant!   :!:
It's AMAZING!!!

Disclaimer:  Author has never used Windows 7.
gerarddevos64

Post by gerarddevos64 »

Hi Nikos,

I have mentioned this before, i would like to see the posibility in the favorits menu to store the active directory as well as the in-active directory or target dir. Examples are to be found in Speedcommander or TotalCommander.

with kind regard, Gerard de Vos

Total Commander
SpeedCommander
JohnnyFisma

Post by JohnnyFisma »

Probably a surface level improvement, but I noticed that when I had the "highlight primary sort column" it was annoying that the primary sort column of the inactive pane was still highlighted, but in the reverse. So it was actually a bit tough to distinguish which was the active pane, they both had some grayed out columns and others that were not grayed out.

Maybe make the inactive pane not highlight the primary sort column, or change the level of shading so its more obvious which is the active pane when this option is enabled.

john
JohnnyFisma

Post by JohnnyFisma »

Can the drive bar have more than just drives?

Or can you add a bookmarks toolbar? Mini scrap is great for some things, but having links along the top would be nice too.