Could you add this please?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

GingerNut

Could you add this please?

Post by GingerNut »

Hi Nikos,

This may be a bit difficult to explain...........

It would be good if you could drag & drop a file from one directory to another up the path without having to use both panes or the scrap board.

I would like to be able to grab the file and drop it on the 'path' shown above

eg. If I was in this directory

D:\My Documents\Swimming\Swimmers\Backup

And I wanted to move the file to

D:\My Documents\Swimming\Swimmers

Just be able to grab the file and move it over the correct directory and let go to move or copy there.

Especially useful when moving files out of zips.

Yours Roy
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

I know this is different, but... IF you have a target that is frequently dropped into, you can bookmark it and put the bookmark on the toolbar, then drag-n-drop into the target folder.

EDIT: To clarify... The tip I meant to post is that Niko has made it so you can drop ONTO a toolbar icon for a folder.  THis will result in the file being moved to that folder.  (based on a feature request I made a long time ago) And, again, I realize this is different from what the OP had in mind  :wink:
Last edited by kunkel321 on 2010 Nov 21, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
GingerNut

Post by GingerNut »

kunkel321 wrote:I know this is different, but... IF you have a target that is frequently dropped into, you can bookmark it and put the bookmark on the toolbar, then drag-n-drop into the target folder.
Yep, you're correct.................that is completely different :)

Yours Roy
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I will second Roy's suggestion.

Many is the time I would have found it quicker to move a selection by dragging it to a convenient target for the parent folder, such as any of:
  • > a sub-path in the pane header {Roy's suggestion, and my preference}
    > a "
    .." line (parent) in the folder contents list {this is often dismissed as "wasted space"}
    > a "parent" entry in r-click menu
rather than cut, backspace, paste.

And, no, navigating the tree to the parent is often inconvenient due to either not using the tree pane at the moment or not having it sync'ed to the current folder or the parent having so many subfolders that it does not appear in the tree pane without scrolling.

Post by Brig »

I agree: dropping a file on a folder in the breadcrumb trail in the pane's header would be pretty cool.

However, regarding fgagnon's objections, if you do have the tree visible and in sync with the current folder, you can drop a file on any folder there, and if the target isn't visible, the tree will scroll up or down as needed. Also, if you use a program like WizMouse or KatMouse, which make the mousewheel scroll the window underneath the pointer (regardless of focus), you can select the file or files you want to move/copy, hover over the tree, scroll to bring your target in view, and then drag away. I do this frequently, and it feels pretty convenient.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

The point is not to discuss the relative convenience of work-arounds, but to boost the idea of dropping a file on the breadcrumb trail as being highly efficient for the end user.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you can also use the tree to drop on nearby folders
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:you can also use the tree to drop on nearby folders
Now don't change the subject by buttressing with work-arounds, as fgagnon said, the relative convenience of work-arounds is irrelevant.  And some of us dislike using the tree.

Drop-target breadcrumbs is an excellent idea - especially as Kunk pointed out, you have been making more things drop-friendly in the last year or so, so it's a natural progression, and always stands out as a WTF? moment for new users.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the pane titlebar is also a drop target for the folder itself. Say that you have a folder full of subfolders and you want to drop on the folder itself, the titlebar is perfect for that
GingerNut

Post by GingerNut »

Thanx for the support guys :)

All the other options that have been mentioned don't achieve what I have suggested :(

So can it be added to the list of things to add please?

Yours Roy
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:the pane titlebar is also a drop target for the folder itself. Say that you have a folder full of subfolders and you want to drop on the folder itself, the titlebar is perfect for that
You're missing the point, O Grand Poo-bah.  With this idea, the pane titlebar will still be a drop target for the folder itself, but also for everything in its path, which is about 1000% more efficient.

Even evil men like you with bloody digital signatures can appreciate greater efficiency. :evil:
Brig
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Brig »

I just want to clarify and reiterate the first sentence of my note: I think making the titlebar breadcrumbs into drop targets would be awesome, great, totally cool, and hugely efficient for the user.:D

The rest of my post was simply a suggestion about what to do until Nikos convinces himself that the work involved in bringing about this request will be worthwhile. Just trying to be helpful.

I am adding my vote for this request. :thumbup:
railshot

Post by railshot »

I am voting for that too. ATM I use either the miniscrap container or open needed location in a second pane. Dropable breadcrumbs make it a single step operation.
fuxs
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by fuxs »

+1, very nice idea!
fuxs
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Nikos,
We had this in our wishlist since the beginning.

Naturally I vote for that too. :)