How to avoid "double" tabs?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

How to avoid "double" tabs?

Post by Tuxman »

Is there a way to avoid having multiple tabs with the same contents? Sometimes I open a folder because I forgot that I already had it open, so... three times the same tab is ridiculous.

edit in order to fix the spelling
Last edited by Tuxman on 2010 Dec 09, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

+1

At any given time I always have more than 15 tabs open in X2. I have always secretly wished for a feature where if I try to open a folder in a new tab and that folder is already open in a different tab, X2 should switch to the existing tab instead of creating a new one.

Of course this feature should be user configurable via a toolbar toggle button where the user may choose to disable it if they want to open same folder in multiple tabs.
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

I wanted this feature so badly that I even wrote an unpolished tool which would close all the duplicate open tabs in X2.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there are legitimate uses for multiple folders eg one tab in thumbnails the other in details
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

nikos wrote:there are legitimate uses for multiple folders eg one tab in thumbnails the other in details
but that is for same folder in opposite panes (& quite useful, too  :) ).

But I see no use for same tab in same pane duplication.    :cry:
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

fgagnon wrote:But I see no use for same tab in same pane duplication.
Just for the record, having 2 or 3 tabs to the same folder in the same pane is rather useful when you have multiple (different) highlighted selections in the same folder which are waiting for moving or copying to the opposite pane as differing <F5> <F6> targets...

Besides, you would de facto be consigning <CTRL-INS> to oblivion.  A tab has to start somewhere...

It's not a bad idea, but isn't implementation a bit of a nightmare of potential conflicts?  What does it do, just ignore commands if they might accidentally spawn a duplicate tab?  You gotta have rhythm, man, you gotta have a groove, dude.  Upsetting that would be a real downer.  (Yes, I'm trapped in 1967 today...)
snakebyte wrote:I even wrote an unpolished tool which would close all the duplicate open tabs
Now this makes more sense.  Care to share your chocolate chip cookies with a hungry classmate?
wperkins99
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wperkins99 »

Did a little unscientific research on other file managers regarding Tab Duplication:

Total Commander: Permits duplicate Tabs. Even includes built-in command, Ctrl-T, to duplicate the current Tab.

Free Commander: Same as Total Commander.

Directory Opus: Ditto.

Q-Dir: Mostly Ditto, except their hotkey is Ctrl-K.

Provided FWIW...
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

(LOL, I misspelled "double".)

I don't say x² should not permit duplicate tabs at all. But there should be a way to avoid them.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

Yes as I mentioned earlier, don't make this a fixed option. Just like sticky selection, make this feature user configurable.

Most of the times I do not want the duplicate tabs to open, but when I do want that, I should be able to open same folder in multiple tabs.
Kilmatead wrote: Now this makes more sense.  Care to share your chocolate chip cookies with a hungry classmate?
I will send you a PM.
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

Kilmatead wrote:
fgagnon wrote:But I see no use for same tab in same pane duplication.
Just for the record, having 2 or 3 tabs to the same folder in the same pane is rather useful when you have multiple (different) highlighted selections in the same folder which are waiting for moving or copying to the opposite pane as differing <F5> <F6> targets...
+1

it's to hot to type, +32C.  8)