Bookmarks getting lost...

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

tgaleta

Re: Bookmarks getting lost...

Post by tgaleta »

nexgen wrote: The problem is, from time to time, the bookmarks I make in xplorer2 get totally wiped out or the shortcut I assign goto another bookmark.
Unfortunately, same problem on my desktop computer with Win 7 Enterprise 64 bit and BitDefender Business Client anti-virus. Bookmarks gone after computer restart.
At the same time, no problem for years at my notebook with Win Vista Business 64 bit and Avast free anti-virus.
I have suspicions on anti-virus but do not see where it can protect and clear registry in its settings.

Thanks for any suggestion!
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

1. Create your bookmarks.
2. Go to the Actions menu and select Save settings now.
3. Then from the Actions menu, select Export settings and remember where you saved the registry file.
4. Restart your computer and see if the bookmarks still exist.
5. If the bookmarks do not exist, load the registry file you created earlier.
6. Exit xplorer2.
7. Start xplorer2.
8. See if xplorer2 displays the previously created bookmarks.
9. Report back with a reply.
tgaleta

Post by tgaleta »

IneedHelp wrote:1. Create your bookmarks...
Tried, no luck.
After restart bookmarks lost.
Then I opened Task Manager, ended process xplorer2_64.exe, imported bookmarks, started xplorer and bookmarks are here, although all keyboard shortcuts asigned to bookmarks are lost.
Then restarted and all bookmarks lost again. No good at all!

Thank you for any further suggestion!
tgaleta

Post by tgaleta »

tgaleta wrote: ...Then restarted and all bookmarks lost again. No good at all!
Correction!
I just tried once again, with ended process before importing, restarted and bookmarks are still here. All keyboard shortcuts asigned to bookmarks are lost but I will reassign it.
If I just can say what I did different :-)

Cheers!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

tgaleta

Post by tgaleta »

nikos wrote:did you read this blog post?
Of course I did. That is why I was suspicious for anti-virus, since I do not use any registry cleaners and optimizers.

Thanks!
tgaleta

Bookmarks keyboard shortcuts

Post by tgaleta »

tgaleta wrote: I just tried once again, with ended process before importing, restarted and bookmarks are still here. All keyboard shortcuts asigned to bookmarks are lost but I will reassign it.
From time to time, I still loose bookmarks and re-import it. After import, all keyboard shortcuts assigned to bookmarks are lost and I must reassign it.

Is there any way to export and re-import keyboard shortcuts with bookmarks?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

are you exporting/importing all the settings or just the bookmarks?
tgaleta

Post by tgaleta »

nikos wrote:are you exporting/importing all the settings or just the bookmarks?
Good question :-)
I exported all settings to file then from it extract the key ..\xplorer2_UC.global\Favorites to new x2bookmarks.reg file.
Any other key or value should be included?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that's why it didn't work!
to simplify things just restore all the settings, there are a couple of keys dealing with keyboard shortcuts
DougalScott
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DougalScott »

I also found that bookmarks sometimes got lost, and also the custom icon setting. Despite using the export function, sometimes it didn't seem to export the bookmarks properly. So I wrote the following vbscript:

Code: Select all

Dim objWshShell, arrMonths, strCmd
Set objWshShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
Dim objWshNet
Set objWshNet = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
arrMonths = Array("Jan", "Feb", "Mar", "Apr", "May", "Jun", "Jul", "Aug", "Sep", "Oct", "Nov", "Dec")
strCmd = "regedit /e ""%UserProfile%\Documents\Xplorer2\HKCU Xplorer2 " & objWshNet.UserDomain & " "
strCmd = strCmd & Day(Now) & arrMonths(Month(Date) - 1) & Right(Year(Date), 2) & ".reg"""
strCmd = strCmd & " ""HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc"""
objWshShell.Run strCmd, 1, True
MsgBox "Xplorer2 settings saved"
This saves the current settings regardless of whether X2 is running to a file with the current date, just change the target folder in line 6. It reliably saves the favorites and favorite_icons.

I later found that part of the issue was that I was using the red x button to close X2, rather than the Alt+X keys (thanks to Nikos). The red X doesn't close the instance, just closes the window, Alt+X closes the instance. This fixed most of the restore settings not working issues I had, but I still use the above script so that I get several settings backups so I can go back more than one save if I need to.

I also found that sometimes X2 would reset my favorites and icons (I don't know why), but when I imported the saved settings file (with X2 closed using Alt+X, not the X in the top right corner), it would add the saved settings to the "new" default settings. This caused multiple entries for the same folders and the imported ones wouldn't work. Check Bookmarks, Organise and make sure there are no duplicates. Because of this, before restoring my settings I also delete everything under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc key.

Cheers