Bookmarks getting lost...

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nexgen

Bookmarks getting lost...

Post by nexgen »

I have been using xplorer2 since a very long time and there's one bug which has been exist since a long time but hasn't been yet solved.

The problem is, from time to time, the bookmarks I make in xplorer2 get totally wiped out or the shortcut I assign goto another bookmark.

For e.g. If I assign "Ctrl+1" to bookmark 1 then someday when I open xplorer2 then the shortcut automatically get assigned to another bookmark.

Sometimes, my entire bookmarks get lost and I have to bookmark them again.

Also, it will be great if I can assign shortcut right when I create a bookmark.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

as i said in my email response this problem is affecting a few users but is yet unsolved. The only safety is options backup with Actions > Export settings menu command
Trent

Post by Trent »

Nikos,

The problem with using Actions > Export to protect one from losing bookmarks is that it doesn't properly save/restore bookmarks.  I've done it loads of times over the years and it just doesn't work.

I just lost my bookmarks the other day and I really have NO idea why.  This is not the first time this has happened.  And I just restored the settings I had originally and it replaced ZERO bookmarks.

It's becoming a really frustrating aspect of xplorer2 and seems to have been going on for years.  It's most disappointing because, in my opinion, the bookmark functionality is the most appealing part of the program.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

both me and some trusty minions have barraged xplorer2 in various ways trying to reproduce this elusive bug, but to no avail. There must be something either in your x2 use pattern or something you have installed that causes it :shrug:

as for the backup solution, it does work, only you have to restore the REG file while xplorer2 is not running. Put the reg file on your desktop, quit x2 with <alt+X> then double click on it and restart x2
Trent

Post by Trent »

Hmmm, I DID close xplorer2 before executing the x2settings files but now I'm thinking that I didn't wait long enough for the process to end.  (I just encountered that while upgrading to the latest version.)

Out of curiosity, where in the registry are the bookmarks stored?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc\xplorer2_UC.global
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I wonder if you are running many xplorer2 instances using the /P command line switch in one session?
Trent

Post by Trent »

No, I'm a boring old point-and-click guy.  No command line execution from me.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

did you check the shortcut icon properties? (what you use to start xplorer2). There are all sorts of options there, especially if you have used any of the unofficial registry hacks to make xplorer2 default for folders. Just right click on the icon to confirm either way!
Trent

Post by Trent »

This is my shortcut:

"C:\Program Files\zabkat\xplorer2\xplorer2_UC.exe" /M
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

nikos wrote:I wonder if you are running many xplorer2 instances using the /P command line switch in one session?
Regularly for running an instance in the admin's context from within my limited account in XP.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i hope you of all people won't start losing bookmarks too :P
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

Not a single one in all those years, but I never used the replacement-feature (except in a VM for testing).
IainB

Post by IainB »

As a long-term user of xplorer², I have been been plagued for what seems like years by the abrupt and inconsistent loss of my bookmarks. Every time this happened, I had to laboriously re-enter all my bookmarks, from memory.

I RTM, read the forum, etc., but to no avail - there was no decent fix or workaround to this. So I experimented. I discovered that the bookmarks are not saved or backed up by the "Save settings now" action.

As to a possible cause, I have discovered that the bookmarks generally seemed to have been expunged after I had run my favourite registry cleaners - CCleaner and RevoUninstaller. Since the bookmarks entries are in the registry, I do not currently see how to exclude them from the registry clean process.

I have given up trying to prevent the recurrence of the bookmarks' loss, and I have ceased to use or rely on this potentially incredibly useful and time-saving bookmarks functionality of xplorer² - which is a pity.   :(

I could not be bothered to dig around in the registry or use the arcane fixes suggested in this discussion to back up or recover the bookmarks. I just put up with it and am waiting for the Great Zabkat to announce a permanent fix to this extremely annoying time-waster and to realise/enable this potentially incredibly useful (but currently crippled) piece of xplorer² functionality for me.

At the risk of offending any philosophical preferences, I would suggest that some consideration might be given (if not already done) to storing the bookmarks in a plain text or (say) .ini file in the user's chosen directory, and that these would be loaded at xplorer² start-up.

In any event, I am unsure as to whether the idea of using the registry as a storage repository for the user's variable data is a "good idea" - e.g., for bookmarks or other data - it's too inaccessible for a start. Supposing I wanted to back it up? (Which I do, in fact.) For example, I don't keep my web browser bookmarks in the registry either, and I can (and do) back them up really easily and without needing to use any arcane knowledge to achieve that.   :)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I am 99% confident that this is caused by registry cleaners. These tools have next to no utility anyway, like 'memory cleaners'. Stop using them and see if it helps. Also backing up xplorer2 settings is a 100% safe procedure that gets you out of trouble