xplorer2 v2.0

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

atitlan

Post by atitlan »

Two requests for version 2 of X2:

1) Right-click on tab option to clone same tab to opposite pane.

2) Advanced option to emulate the easier-on-the eyes Windows 7 Explorer spacing of Folders and Files.

Thanks.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Drag-n-drop the tab to opposite pane to move it there.
* CTRL copies the tab, rather than moving it.
bmolony

Post by bmolony »

[quote="atitlan"]...option to emulate the easier-on-the eyes Windows 7 Explorer spacing of Folders and Files.

Ok, but please keep this an option, not the default. Personally, I have always preferred seeing tighter spaciing and more lines rather than wider spacing and less lines.
atitlan

Post by atitlan »

narayan: Thanks for the good suggestion. Unfortunately, on my copy of 64-bit xplorer Pro (Windows 7), dragging Tabs to the opposite pane is verbotten. Ctrl +drag also is impossible.

Within panes, of course, Tabs drag.

The right-click 'Move across' operation works. (My suggestion envisioned a 'Clone across' option)

Perhaps my installation is defective. I will have to check x2 on another system.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

atitlan wrote:narayan: Thanks for the good suggestion. Unfortunately, on my copy of 64-bit xplorer Pro (Windows 7), dragging Tabs to the opposite pane is verbotten. Ctrl +drag also is impossible.
Narayan's post was not meant to be a helpful suggestion (your installation is not defective), more an off-the-cuff suggestion for Nikos to implement - kind of like when your wife is going shopping and you scream out the window after she closed the door for her to pick up more beer.  You never know if she heard you or not.  This request for easier/more logical tab behaviour has been a long standing one.
flexigon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by flexigon »

It would be nice to have more enhanced color coding options. With  cumulative colorization, so that style settings "fall through" to the next rule. For instance:

*.exe file : Bold
Compressed files : Blue foreground
Modified last day: Yellow background

So that if this is all true for a file it will be bold, with blue text and yellow background.

As it is now in xplorer 1 you have to create rules for every possible combination.

support for alpha channels for colors would also be neat :-)
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

flexigon wrote:It would be nice to have more enhanced color coding options. With  cumulative colorization, so that style settings "fall through" to the next rule.
 Yes, this has been requested in the past too.  The concern is that it would be a recourse hog and slow down x2....  I still think it would be nice though.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

kunkel321 wrote:The concern is that it would be a recourse hog and slow down x2...
Roger Waters (he of Pink Floyd) once wrote "And there is no recourse to the lord...", though I imagine that's not what you meant.  :wink:  And as I recall we both did a lot of testing relating to that idea (for naught, it would seem), and the word "concern" was Nikos' excuse for "not today" as basically we disproved the resource hog palaver, unless you're dealing with +5000 files per folder.  It also has the unfortunate side-effect of making rule-definition logic somewhat convoluted.  Not that that ever stopped us before...
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

Any plans of plug-in/API support? I would love to have access to following APIs

1. Get list of open tabs in both the panes
2. Switch to a tab by specifying  index and pane
3. Close a tab by specifying index and pane
4. API to create a new .cida by providing a list of paths
5. Read/write current mini scrap
6. Dynamically load different .cida file in mini scrap

There are tons of useful extensions that I can think of (which may never make it to X2) just based on these APIs.
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
bmolony

Clear File List when inserting DVD

Post by bmolony »

When inserting a DVD (and I assume other removable media), if a folder on the previous DVD had files, the file list pane continues to list the files from the previous folder even though the DVD or other media has been removed and the list is no longer valid. That tends to be a bit confusing. Please arrange to clear the file list pane when the DVD is removed.

And on a similar subject, when a DVD is removed, I find the warning box to "insert a disk..." to be a nuisance. It would be nice if there were a way to turn that off--either in options and/or, better yet, when it first appears, a simple checkbox indicating "Do not show this message again". In the latter case, it probably would be best to also have an option to turn that message back on.
mjbrookes
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mjbrookes »

Hi Nikos, thanks for your newsletter .....

There are 2 areas that I find myself always needing to supplement xplorer2

1. Folder size
I know that the default program has several options but I find that none of them (appear to?) provide the functionality of the Foldersize add-in. If you would create an option that allows the program to calculate foldersizes in the background and display them,  that would be much appreciated.

2. Mass Rename
I know that xplorer2 has its version of this, but in practice I find myself opening a different file manager when I want to do multi file renaming. For all I know xplorer2 may be able to do everything I want but I find that the program ExplorerXP 1.07a is much easier to understand and use. It would be tremendously useful if you could give xplorer2 the same mass rename features.

In all other respects I find xplorer2 to be the best!!

Regards
Mark
meRobs

Post by meRobs »

Nikos: thanks for allowing these wish-list thoughts.
Hope I am not too late.

My suggestions are:
(1) allow the viewer to play VOB and M2V files
(2) when the viewer opens a DOC or DOCX file the test is unformatted. Could you arrange for the viewer to respond to the file's formatting?
(3) in the Multi-rename window it would be very convenient to have a panel that  offers "Replace" some characters "with" ...
(4) as suggested earlier it would be nice if the Mini Scrap panel was refreshed, by deleting any content, when Xplorer2 is re-opened. So far, I cannot even find how to remove files or folders that I had added previously!

Thanks for all your efforts.
Robin
fastlane

Post by fastlane »

for the tray icon, add a "show x2" and "exit x2" rightclick menu!!!  :evil:
meRobs

Post by meRobs »

One more function, to put it further ahead of the competition, would be a screen capture feature that captures the entire screen, an open window or a selected area and, then allows some cropping before saving as a JPG. If this is too much then maybe just capture a window but keep the ability to crop before saving !?
Is this beyond the scope of Xplorer2?
Last edited by meRobs on 2011 May 21, 05:14, edited 1 time in total.
meRobs

Post by meRobs »

Sorry Nikos, one more -- after all, you did ask for it

If you decide to improve the multi-renaming function, by adding 'Replace" and "with" panels, it would be even better to have two panels to show the 'before' and 'after' names (greater clarity) and buttons to allow the 'Before' names to be re-ordered in the list when applying a numbering sequence.

(I'll ty and keep quiet after this.)