nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

bmolony

Send To/Open With

Post by bmolony »

Hi Nikos,

Thanks for the link about Folder file type association. I appreciate that workaround. However, it still does not address the specific requests I made.

First, I still would still like the ability to set those options without having to edit my registry--even with the relatively easy method of putting them in a .REG file. I guess you could call me lazy??? But I also believe there are a number of places that are still appropriate yet would not be addressed by those registry entries.

Second, I still find it awkward to have to hold down CTRL, or worse yet, to open a context menu to open the folder in X2. It still seems that if I am doing that in an X2 container, the default for double click should be to open it in X2, not Windows Explorer.

As for making X2 a replacement for Win Explorer, I was very aware of that a couple years ago or more. In fact, I when I first changed over to X2, I checked that option to use X2 as a replacement. But as I remember, I ran into several other unexpected issues that caused me to want to uncheck that. For all intents and purposes, I still use X2 rather than Win Explorer pretty close to 100$ of the time.

But I don't believe making that semi-permanent will solve the issue for me. In fact, the only issue I constantly run into is that mentioned above--forgetting that a double click in a container will open Win Explorer when I really wanted to open it in X2. Having an option in X2 to change that one default is really the only thing I need.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

to open folders from scrap containers in x2 the easiest solution is to press <ctrl+enter> (or click)
bmolony

Post by bmolony »

A single click does nothing for me other than highlight the folder name.

As for <ctrl+enter>, why should I need to take my hand off my mouse and then hold down 2 keys?

Yes, I am lazy! :) But for things I do often such as this, I prefer the simplest and quckest method I can think of--Double Click.

Why are you against reversing the double click default between Win Explorer and X2?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

mouse only? select the folder then use File > Browse menu ;)
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

Mr B and his workarounds :)

Ok are there any mouse apps that can detect the window class or title 'scrap', and when double-click is done, send ctrl+enter instead?
Live life...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

profess wrote:Ok are there any mouse apps that can detect the window class or title 'scrap', and when double-click is done, send ctrl+enter instead?
This could be done in AutoIt or AutoHotKey quite easily but it would require the script to be permanently resident, watching vigilantly for any instanced interactions with Scrap windows, and those sorts of scripts I don't contribute (take this script and modify it yourself - I won't touch them).  Especially when Nikos never really provided a decent rationale as to why it opens explorer by default (unless it was a work-around for his own convenience).
bmolony

Double Click folder in scrap

Post by bmolony »

nikos wrote:mouse only? select the folder then use File > Browse menu ;)
Hmmmm, still more work for a lazy man! :)

I am the type of guy that will spend hours of work programming things that will save seconds. But I do that because those seconds add up when you do something hundreds of times.

And still no answer Nikos as to why you are against reversing the double click default between Win Explorer and X2?
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

People who need more options for modifying folder associations might still be interested in my PHP script for creating the matching .reg files.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

nikos wrote:RightPaddock, instead of hard linking a folder, use folder junctions from the same Edit > Paste special menu
That won't do want I want nikos - I want a new folder, with hardlinks to the contents of the one I'm copying, I guess I need to explain.

I have set up some folder templates, that contain a <foldertype>.ico file and a desktop.ini file, eg I have a one named !Site - TTT - SiteName, that has a Site.ico file, and the following in the desktop.ini file:-

Code: Select all

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconFile=Site.ico
IconIndex=0
IconHue=184
If I clip (ctrl/c) !Site - TTT - SiteName from MyTemplates folder and paste (ctrl/v) it elsewhere then I will get copies of the desktop.ini and Site.ico files in the new folder and the new folder will retain the ReadOnly attribute that is needed to make Windows act upon the desktop.ini file.  I will then rename the new folder to something like Site - W33 - Westfield Springfield and I wil start putting things into it that are related to that Site.  

The problem with this approach is that every Site folder now has its own copy of desktop.ini and Site.ico.  The .ico files are about 30K, and there are 1,000s of folders so it adds up.  But more importantly if I want to change the Site.ico file, or add something to the desktop.ini file then its a pain to change 1,000s of them - yes I can write a macro/script to do that, but ....

If instead of doing a normal past (ctrl/v), I do an X2 hardlink paste (ctrl/alt/h) then the two files are pasted as hardlinks, so they only consume directory space AND I only have to change the file in the Template and voila they're changed everywhere!  

However the attributes of the Template folder aren't copied across for an X2 hardlink paste as they are for a normal paste, so after the ctrl/alt/h, I have to do a shift/f12, alt/r, enter, i.e. four key sequences rather than one - its just an annoyance of omission, not a malfunction of commission ;)

RP
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

so what you need is the readonly attribute preserved?
we are opening a can of worms here because normal copy/paste doesn't preserve R whereas robust copy does!
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

nikos wrote:so what you need is the readonly attribute preserved?
we are opening a can of worms here because normal copy/paste doesn't preserve R whereas robust copy does!
Not a can of worms here nikos, ctrl/v on Windows 7 preserves the attributes, I don't use Robust Copy.  I also think ctrl/v preserved them under XP, and I didn't use Robust Copy on XP either.  

San Fairy Ann, I'd much, rather have Comments stored in a consistent manner on all file types and folders ;)

cheers RP

BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Hi RightPaddock,

I'm using hardlinks extensively, too. And I don't have a solution for your specific problem. But do you know a little tool called dupemerge?

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/dupemerge/dupemerge.html

It's a command line utility to detect identical files and hardlink them.

It works great and I use it often to "clean up" broken hardlinks or other duplicates. Maybe it helps a little with the files adding up.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

go figure, copy/paste preserves R but Edit > Duplicate (or paste in the same folder) doesn't!? who wrote this rubbish? :P
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

BRX wrote:Hi RightPaddock,

I'm using hardlinks extensively, too. And I don't have a solution for your specific problem. But do you know a little tool called dupemerge?

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/dupemerge/dupemerge.html

It's a command line utility to detect identical files and hardlink them.

It works great and I use it often to "clean up" broken hardlinks or other duplicates. Maybe it helps a little with the files adding up.
Thanks BRX, I didn't know about dupemerge, but I use Link Shell Extension extensively. I helped Hermann with a couple of things in its early days - but he never told me about dupemerge ;)

RP