xplorer2 v2.0

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

I'm using ShellToysXP since ever and I like it for the various tools it offers. Currently its version is 7.2.0 and it has come to be a great product. Xplorer2 already offers a great deal of features similar to ShellToysXP (though I'm not using those as much as other users would), but here's what I'd like to see added in v2:

1. Folder Coloring. I use this feature numerous times a day to mark the importance and objectives of folders.

2. Path Copying. I would like to have this set of options available when I desire to copy a path:

Now, for those who already use ShellToysXP or similar kits, these requests may not sound too interesting, but for others they could be some welcomed new features.
dburns

Post by dburns »

I would like X2 to allow "Explorer Backgrounds" like in Stardock's WindowBlinds skinning software. http://www.stardock.com/products/windowblinds/

Also, a big thumbs up for IneedHelp's folder coloring and path copying suggestions (see above).
Last edited by dburns on 2011 Apr 29, 16:44, edited 2 times in total.
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA
dburns

Post by dburns »

I use TechHit's QuickJump to get to folders quickly, especially when downloading software. http://www.techhit.com/QuickJump/open_n ... lders.html

When downloading, it allows me to hit a key combination that will open a Windows Explorer window into the folder I want, with a "SAVE" button on it. Click SAVE and the file goes there.

When I use X2 as the default file manager, that SAVE button does not appear. So, I have to navigate manually to the folder, which defeats the purpose of having QuickJump.

Can you make X2 work in QuickJump? It's the only thing that keeps me from using X2 as my default file manager.

Thanks!
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA
bmolony

QuickJump Equivalence

Post by bmolony »

While QuickJump mentioned above seems to be an excellent and useful little app and you should definitely not try to mimic it exactly, I would think that the basic capability inherent in that app could fairly easily be incorporated directly into xPlorer2. That would make it unnecessary to directly incorporate QuickJump compatibility. This type of quick folder find is something I have wanted to see for years! I still do not understand why this capability has not already been used in Windows Explorer. It would sure make xPlorer2 a FAR better app!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

imho the onus is with this quickjump thingy to use the default folder application and not have explorer hard-coded in it!
bmolony

Quickjump "thingy"

Post by bmolony »

I could not agree more. I would never want Win Explorer incorporated directly into xPlorer2. In fact, I even dislike the ability to create a shortcut being implemented as a submenu within X2 calling a Windows Explorer subroutine. I just would like to see the QuickJomp capability programmed directly into X2.
dburns

Post by dburns »

nikos wrote:imho the onus is with this quickjump thingy to use the default folder application and not have explorer hard-coded in it!
Let me clear this up a bit. Windows Explorer is not hard coded into QuickJump. When I install X2 as "explorer replacement," QuickJump does use X2.

Here's what happens when I dl with FireFox and QJ, with Windows Explorer as system default.

1) I click a dl link, then FireFox opens a "save" window (part of its download manager, I guess).

2) Then I hit the key combo to bring up QJ, which opens its own window, from which  I choose a dl target folder.

3) Then there is a message saying QJ will return to FireFox and dl to the chosen folder.

4) The original FF 'Save" window is now focused in the folder I chose for the download. Hit Save and the dl goes where I want it.

The only difference when using X2 as system file manager is that #3 and #4 don't happen. I am left with The original Save window (in FF), and an X2 folder focused on the correct dl target folder.

With Windows Explorer, QJ lets me select the target folder, then sends me back to FireFox with the target folder hilighted. Then I click SAVE and the dl starts.

So, I guess what I'm asking is, would it be possible for X2 to do the same thing? I realize it's not a feature X2 needs to support, I'm just commenting on the topic because it would be handy to use X2 instead of Explorer with QJ.

If you want to look into it, there is a free demo of QJ on their site.
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

dburns wrote:Here's what happens when I dl with FireFox and QJ, with Windows Explorer as system default.
Hello, dburns! I've read your post 3 times and I still don't get it and I feel like I'm missing something here, so if you'd be kind enough to enlighten me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm using Firefox (as a browser), IDM (as a download manager), xplorer2 (as the default file manager) and QuickJump (as the utility we both know).

Now, if I click a download link in FF, the IDM window pops up and if I want to browse to a certain location to save the file, using QJ works fine.

If I keep ALT pressed to use FF's default window for saving files, using QJ works fine.

If I'm using QJ without having any "Save as/to" window opened, it opens a xplorer2 window, according to the set parameters ( "C:\Program Files\zabkat\xplorer2\xplorer2_64.exe" /S:customprofile /1 /N /M /T ), with the requested path.

What I don't understand is: what's the connection between QJ and xplorer2? In what circumstances would someone need to use xplorer2 with QJ? Except launching an xplorer2 window to the desired path using QJ (which works without problems), what other use or issue is there?

Even if I try to load contents in the Mini scrap, QJ still works fine (i.e. opens the desired path in the window asking for the .cida file)

Or maybe my misunderstanding arises from the different ways we have xplorer2 configured. I currently have xplorer2 assigned to

Code: Select all

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shell] 
@="open_x2"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Drive\shell] 
@="open_x2"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell] 
@="open_x2"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell] 
@="open_x2"
but not to

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell]
@="none"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell]
@="none"
And I'm using this shell command:

@=""C:\\Program Files\\zabkat\\xplorer2\\xplorer2_64.exe" /S:customprofile /1 /N /M /T "%1""
Last edited by IneedHelp on 2011 Apr 30, 01:08, edited 1 time in total.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

dburns wrote:The only difference when using X2 as system file manager is that #3 and #4 don't happen. I am left with The original Save window (in FF), and an X2 folder focused on the correct dl target folder.
This is going to sound like a silly question, but have you restarted your system recently?  I'm not simply guessing here, but having spent the last 20 minutes installing QJ and switching back and forth with x2 as the default manager, at first I was able to recreate your issue (directly after installing QJ) - but after restarting and/or re-installing x2 a couple of times (to set/unset the default mode as testing) I found that QJ behaves as you expect it to when selecting download folders within FF - in other words, it works just fine with either Explorer as the default manager or with x2 as the default manager - it was only that first instance where I could recreate your issue, not afterwards.

There is also a fundamental misunderstanding going on here, especially in regards to bmolony's idea of integrating this into x2.  The "Load/Save" windows you see in Firefox and other applications are not actually Explorer windows (so they cannot be replaced by x2 no matter what you do) - they are generic application modal windows which are using the parts of the Windows API to do the hard work of allowing file/folder selection within a 3rd-party programme.  QJ is simply "injecting" your folder selection back into the modal - and allowing it to continue.  x2 does not interact with these modals in any way, nor would it make sense to (one file-manager passing elements back to another pseudo-manager is messy (as discovered above in my experiments using QJ).  The "perfect" solution would be for x2 to completely replace these modals as many have wished for in the past - but that is not possible (no other file manager can do it either), as they are indeed hard-coded into the given application which creates them.

In short, as to the original issue, using Windows 7 x64, like IneedHelp, I cannot recreate the problem, as after restarting the machine QJ interacts with FF modals as you would expect it to, whether x2 is the default manager or not.
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

Windows 7 x64 here too, and I didn't have to restart the computer or do anything special, it just worked as supposed.
bmolony

QuickJump

Post by bmolony »

After re-reading my previous post, I can easily see how I did not make myself clear and I apologize for that. My reference to incorparting the capability shown in QuickJump into X2 was intended to be a much simpler subset of QuickJump's capabilitites.

The only part of QuickJump I really wanted added to X2 was the ability to type a portion of a single subfolder into the X2 address bar and either jump to that subfolder or at least be presented with a drop down list of possible paths that match. And that target subfolder would not necessarily be a subfolder of the currently active path.

For example: If in X2 with C:\OtherFolder as the current path, I wanted to jump to the subfolder "FolderC" in the path, "C:\FolderA\FolderB\FolderC", all I needed to type in would be "Fold" and all 3 folders would be in the drop down list for me to choose. Or if I typed in FolderC, it would automatically jump to C:\FolderA\FolderB\FolderC.

Whether that happened as a part of an installation process or not really made little difference to me.

I hope I did a better job this time! :)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: QuickJump

Post by Kilmatead »

bmolony wrote:For example: If in X2 with C:\OtherFolder as the current path, I wanted to jump to the subfolder "FolderC" in the path, "C:\FolderA\FolderB\FolderC", all I needed to type in would be "Fold" and all 3 folders would be in the drop down list for me to choose. Or if I typed in FolderC, it would automatically jump to C:\FolderA\FolderB\FolderC.
Try right-clicking on any section of the current path (such as the root C:\) in the folder pane header.  This will bring up a drop-down offering all possible sub-locations of the starting point.  If you wish something similar to this (though not exactly as you wish for) in the address bar, try Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Explorer-Style Path Autocompletion in Address Bar, which at least offers the ability to quickly browse to your desired location.  (Or, hell, just use Bookmarks. :wink:)
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: QuickJump

Post by IneedHelp »

bmolony wrote:My reference to incorparting the capability shown in QuickJump into X2 was intended to be a much simpler subset of QuickJump's capabilitites.
Yet you'd still have to map those folders first. I added a location with over 5.000 folders and QuickJump needed some time to finish mapping (I was watching the drive activity indicator for that certain partition the location was on). QuickJump stores those folders in a text file called FolderList.txt

I guess xplorer2 would have to work the same way if this is to be implemented.

And indeed QJ doesn't work with xplorer2 in all regards. If you focus the address bar in xplorer2 and then use QJ, you see how QJ tries to set the desired location, but fails to do so (it's like xplorer2 is stealing focus from the address bar while QJ tries to send you to the desired path).

while in windows explorer it works.
Last edited by IneedHelp on 2011 Apr 30, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.
bmolony

Folder Completion

Post by bmolony »

Thanks Kilmatead for your reply. But actually, I already do all the things you have mentioned. But those just do not go as far as I would like and as I attempted to describe. I guess I am just greedy, always wanting more and more.... :)
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

I would like to have proper Global Assembly Cache (GAC) support in xplorer v2.

Also, about the licensing, I've bought a lifetime license so I'm guessing the new key will be provided to me free of charge ?