xplorer2 v2.0

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

QT-Pro wrote:Hi-res icons can only really be made in PNG format as far as I'm aware.
Since when?  I regularly make 256x256 .ICO types (the standard since Vista) and they render fine (except, obviously under x2).  Nikos (ever the Luddite) seems adamant on sticking to 24x24 which is at least tolerably better. :shrug:
IainB

Post by IainB »

@Nikos: Request for "new" features:
I don't know if there is any way to currently do these in xplorer² in Windows 7 (64-bit).

Ergonomics improvement: I would like the ability to force/define the colour (or just force "black" as a minimum) of the grid lines in xplorer² for Win7 file details views. The accidental default (white, in my case) gives me eyestrain.

New function - Unlock file(s): For when you need to operate on a file/files that is/are  "locked". I would like the function to be available where I can force it to be "unlocked". This would be of use when I want to move or delete a file, but some application (e.g., Google desktop search) has got a hold of it and locked it. So just "unlock" or "unlock and delete" would be a great single action to invoke. I currently use a 3rd party shell tool called "Unlocker" to do this.

New function - Right-click option to create/edit a note (using a note file or a registry entry?) for any given file/folder: Have the link between those notes and the files they describe get updated whenever the files are moved/archived. Delete both notes and file when the file is deleted. Have the notes located in a default or an optional user-selectable location and searchable in "Find" and Windows Search. Something similar - but very basic - was  done years ago by ZifDavis in a freeware called "Explorer Notes". Enable "tagging" in these notes. The principle here is that files on the hard drive are all components of a loosely-arranged database.

Thanks for a great programme Nikos.
rbail

Post by rbail »

I would love the ability to organize photos (or any files) in a random order and have it remembered
cprichard

Post by cprichard »

nikos wrote:to open anything in the other pane use Alt+Enter
Doesn't work when selecting a Bookmarks menu item or a toolbar button based on one.

Craig
cprichard

Post by cprichard »

My wishlist (in order of preference):
  • 1. I would greatly prefer x2 using INI file(s) instead of the registry, whether running portable or not.

2. Remember the size and placement of x2 dialogs, e.g. Organize, as well as the width of columns within each dialog. For Organize the column width assignments for one context, e.g. User Commands, can apply to all contexts. I don't need unique column widths for each context.

3. The Keyboard assignments dialog (Keyboard use...) does not differentiate between x2-standard shortcut keys and user-defined and user-overwritten shortcut keys. It would be helpful to be able to know which is which.
Nikos, thank you for an awesome application which is only getting better with age!

Craig
hondoe50

Enhancement requested: work better on half screens

Post by hondoe50 »

Dear Nikos,

As you know, I love xplorer2 Pro and use it more than any other program on my PC.

My primary request is for the program to work better with Windows 7. When I press Win-Right Arrow or Win-Left Arrow, Windows 7 moves the active program to half screen. That's a great feature that I use all of the time.

But xplorer2 was NOT designed with this function in mind, and when I press Win-Right Arrow and it is placed in the half screen (in the dual pane mode), the columns shown in each pane do not auto-resize to display correctly. Instead, one must scroll right to see some of the columns.

I would love this to be addressed.

I already wrote to you about making xplorer2 as functional as Windows Explorer with regard to external devices like cameras. That would also be very valuable.

I'd also love to see you add the ability for users to assign their own names to the folders on each tab, instead of just using the path of each folder.

One of the only frustrating aspects of xplorer2 is that in the incredibly useful "browse flat" feature one must use the File>Delete to delete a file in a flattened scrap panel, and can't use the Delete key or Shift-Delete key combo for file deleting.

Finally, I wish that the preview mode functioned perfectly with all programs (videos, image files, WordPerfect documents and graphics -- .wpg --, spreadsheets, etc.)

Thank you for a great program!
mjbdiver

Don't forget Editor²!

Post by mjbdiver »

I've been using xplorer² ever since I first found 2xExplorer many years ago, way back when it was being actively developed. Out of all the shareware programs I've registered, xplorer² is the one I use the most!

Just about the only time I do use Windows Explorer is to map the network drives in my home network. I'd like to see xplorer² have some network drive management capabilities of its own.

I'd also like to see the built-in file shredder offer more than one overwrite scheme (3, 7 or 35 pass overwrites). I would also like to see an option to shred the file as opposed to just deleting it when I press the Delete key. Blood curdling scream sound effect optional.  :)

Then there's Editor², which I also use daily. I think it should save its settings to an INI file as well for true USB portability.

Mike
ticktickboom

great file manager!

Post by ticktickboom »

tehres already so so much in it.  
whatever is added, id like to see it kept small.
i would like the ability for a 3rd or 4th window pain.  sometimes it would come in handy...thats all i can think of.
bmolony

Post by bmolony »

Nikos,
Looking forward to V 2. Considering the product quality you already have provided, I expect this upgrade to be dynamite! I do have a couple of suggestions I hope will be given serious consideration. I have suggested both before:
1) Enhance TAB and ALT+TAB key behaviors such that they cycle between the following locations:
a. Highlighting the currently active folder in folder window
b. Highlighting the most recently active file in file window
c. Highlighting the full pathname of the current folder in the Address Bar
TAB should go one way a/b/c above and ALT+TAB should go in the reverse c/b/a above
If there is no currently active file, highlight the first file in the list according to the current sort
2) Even if the user has chosen to show the full file/folder size in bytes in the file window, make it possible for the user to choose that the Status Bar displays BOTH the Active File Item(s) AND the Total Folder Size in BRIEF format such as MB/GB without showing stuff such as dates on the Status Bar. The full file size in bytes and the Modified Date info takes up to much valuable real estate in the Status Bar. Most of the time, the full info will not even fit in that area.
Finally, if you choose to require registered users to pay for the next major update such as Ver 2.0, I hope that  those who have recently upgraded to the Pro version—such as in the last 12 months—are not required to pay a major upgrade fee. At the same time, a smaller fee—such as around $10—would be very reasonable.
Keep up the great work on an amazing application!
Bill Molony
pdubois

Post by pdubois »

Would it be possible to add an option which will make the color coding function permanent rather than just for one session?
kdyer

Post by kdyer »

Nikos,

Some thoughts about v2.0 for Xplorer2:
* Make Xploter2 be more like the rest of Windows products: Refresh, should be F3 and not CTRL+R
* Open the ability to tweak without having to trawl the registry or config files
* If you are a tweaker, to be able to reset back to a known good state
* Provide Xplorer2 studio where you can modify the setup/configs for xplorer
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

pdubois wrote:Would it be possible to add an option which will make the color coding function permanent rather than just for one session?
Actions -> Save Settings Now doesn't work for you?  Colour coding already is permanent.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

kdyer wrote:* Make Xploter2 be more like the rest of Windows products: Refresh, should be F3 and not CTRL+R
* Open the ability to tweak without having to trawl the registry or config files
* If you are a tweaker, to be able to reset back to a known good state
* Provide Xplorer2 studio where you can modify the setup/configs for xplorer
1. Any key can already be remapped via Customize -> Keyboard.  And F5 is usually Refresh, not F3, thus it's a variable thing to begin with.

2. What settings are you trying to change?  There is very little reason to touch the registry directly.  See Tools -> Advanced Options

3. Export the registry settings regularly.  See Actions -> Export Settings  If all goes completely wrong, just delete the main registry key and restart x2.

4. See number 2.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

pdubois wrote:Would it be possible to add an option which will make the color coding function permanent rather than just for one session?
The best way to get color coding set "permanently" is to close all but one tab in each pane, then activate color coding in both panes, then save settings now. Any new tabs you open from now on should have color coding activated.

If you don't want to close your tabs you can try activating color coding in all tabs in both panes then save settings now... not sure if this will work I just used the one tab per pane method.
pdubois

Post by pdubois »

Thanks FrizzleFry, I'll give it a try!