Administrator indicator

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

MHP

Administrator indicator

Post by MHP »

It would be helpful for a more-visible flag to indicate whether X2 Pro is running as Administrator or not. Perhaps a red A in the status bar.

Obviously, not an urgent request, but it would be handy.
MHP
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you can check the status of Window > Administrator menu command, if you are admin it is disabled
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

I think when the OP mentioned a "more-visible flag" he was already familiar with the normal one.  This has been requested before as a Status Bar element, and indeed, what "Status" could be more significant than this one?
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

More significant would be another layout. And I really wonder, why the command for starting x2 with advanced rights is placed in the window-menu, where new layouts get created and where layouts get started, but there is not option for assigning a layout for this feature.

I never use the build-in command but start (since long time before this feature got introduced with 1.8.0.5) x2 elevated with a shortcut which does the same as the built-in command but additionally has the /S parameter for assigning another layout. And doing this I can play with colors, fonts and whatever which does definitely prevent me from mixing the normally and the elevated launched x2-instances.

The solution for the built-in command would be as easy as giving an option to assign a custom layout. As long as this is not possible (or another solution with a comparable result) I will continue ignoring the built-in command and using my solution.

I described my solution already more than 1 year ago.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Cosmo wrote:And doing this I can play with colors, fonts and whatever which does definitely prevent me from mixing the normally and the elevated launched x2-instances.
Good idea, but more of a work-around than a permanent solution.  In effect, you'd have to double-up all your layouts if you wanted them available (and identifiable).  The OP's Scarlet Letter approach seems a reasonable request, though it would be redundant for those who always run as Admin anyway - but a small price to pay in the long term.

Never mind how long it took to get a hidden-files icon in the status bar...
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

It is a very good idea to have such indicator. See Command Prompt in admin mode - it shows "Administrator: Command Prompt" in the title.
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!