alpha 181.12

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

Every time I closes down Kenny, I get the "Assertions failed" message. This was normal in the previous alpha versions. Is this still the case? Or do you want a copy of the log file?
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i don't see a problem with secondary monitor, anybode else sees this? I will change things so that you can open the context menu on floating panes

ps if you have problems with the floated dockbar you should also have problems with all other xplorer2 windows with your 2nd monitor (?)
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

Other xplorer2 windows are never a problem when switching from two monitors to one monitor. Those windows can be reached by Alt_tab or using the task bar (windows 7). The problem with the floating panes, is that they are not registered in windows as a separate windows. So there is no way to reach them if they are not visible anymore after switching from two to one monitors.
Also the floating pane (How do I?) is not registered as a window in xplorer2 itself (currently).

As an extra test, I just opened the "How do I?" as a floating pane on the dual monitor setting and is place far away. I'm going home now and try again there (single monitor) to see what happens. Could take several hours before I report, several appointments this afternoon.
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you mean the problem is only when you switch off the 2nd monitor? I fixed this bug 5 minutes ago. But if you have the 2nd monitor showing you should have no problem even with the alpha version you have ?
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

The problem is disconnecting the second monitor. I'm at home now, only the monitor of my laptop (so a complete reboot is involved). I see that the "How do I?" is active (in the Help menu), but I cannot access it anymore. Disabling, enabling does not help. It is off screen and nothing can put it back, until I get me the second monitor again or by resetting the info in the registry.

Is the code already in the alpha that is available?
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this will be fixed with the next release
cprichard

Questions & Suggestions

Post by cprichard »

1. When I execute kenny.exe, sometimes it loads and sometimes my x2 1.8.1.4 [Unicode] x64 04/22/2011 executes. I'm running Vista 64-bit.

x2 supports ZIP files natively, i.e. they can be viewed as files within folders:
2. Will x2 ever be able to render a ZIP in the tree view so I can traverse it like a real folder structure?
3. Could x2 ever include native support for 7z archives?

4. Could x2 ever support selective export settings? For example, when I want to duplicate my User Commands and icons configuration between my laptop and my portable version (separate license), I do not need all the History-related keys.

As a consultant I work on my laptop and on clients' systems. My current client keeps their computers locked down very tight against installing applications (no surprise). So I use my portable x2 off a USB key:
5. Could x2 ever support me buying another x2 license so I can run and leave the xplorer2_UC on the clients' computer (until my contract ends and I clean up the system and leave) without always having to have my USB key plugged in?

6. Does kenny.exe make registry changes that are incompatible with the current x2 such that if I switch back and forth bad things will happen?

7. Could x2 ever support a browser viewer to render URLs?

8. For many of my User Commands icons I %X2DIR% in the path. When I move my registry settings between my laptop and my portable version, sometimes x2 loses the path to the EXE or DLL hosting the icons.
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Questions & Suggestions

Post by WimdeLange »

cprichard wrote:1. When I execute kenny.exe, sometimes it loads and sometimes my x2 1.8.1.4 [Unicode] x64 04/22/2011 executes. I'm running Vista 64-bit.
This happens when an x2 is still running. Kenny (and any other x2) is first checking if there is another instance running and connects to that one. So first close all running x2's before running Kenny.
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
cprichard

Post by cprichard »

Wim, that means x2 isn't closing down completely when I think it is. Should I have to look at Task Manager to be sure the last running x2 is really closed before I execute kenny?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

cprichard wrote:that means x2 isn't closing down completely when I think it is
More than likely caused by using x2 as "Explorer Replacement" - Try Tools -> Advanced Options -> Global (Miscellaneous) -> In replacement mode, don't stay resident after all windows are closed.
cprichard wrote:Does kenny.exe make registry changes that are incompatible with the current x2 such that if I switch back and forth bad things will happen?
Not directly - Kenny does use the same registry keys, but (so far) it only adds new items which the old x2 ignores (such as dual-bookmarks, et al).  However, this cannot always be guaranteed to be the case (in subsequent Alphas, etc).  If you are concerned about such things, do not use it - Alpha means Alpha.  If you only wish to "try it", just back up your registry settings first and restore them after.  Kenny is in no way meant for "regular work", though it does maintain a decent pretence of stability - it is only a pretence.
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

Kilmatead wrote:If you are concerned about such things, do not use it - Alpha means Alpha.  If you only wish to "try it", just back up your registry settings first and restore them after.  Kenny is in no way meant for "regular work", though it does maintain a decent pretence of stability - it is only a pretence.
Indeed Alpha could break things down. Never had problems with registry settings, but it has happened that alpha meant "not usable" even with x2. Bat as you said, this almost never happens.

CPRichard, I got the impression that you are new to xplorer2. My advice is, stop using Kenny and try the stable version first. I don't know why I got this impression, if this is not correct, then forget the advise.
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

kenny or xplorer2 always close down completely if you use alt+X or File > Exit menu
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

WimdeLange wrote:I got the impression that you are new to xplorer2
Actually, judging by dates, he joined the forum before I did.  Which gives me that queer bouncy feeling of piquancy virgins have on their prom nights. :D
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

Kilmatead wrote:
WimdeLange wrote:I got the impression that you are new to xplorer2
Actually, judging by dates, he joined the forum before I did.  Which gives me that queer bouncy feeling of piquancy virgins have on their prom nights. :D
And I'm from 2004....
I did not look at the dates. Stupid me. Staring in my eyes and not seeing it.

Is Ceasium the step above gold? I must be more active in this forum.... :lol:
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

WimdeLange wrote:Is Ceasium the step above gold? I must be more active in this forum.... :lol:
Curiously, there is a "Cæsium wannabe" level that comes before it (which only has a single member).  But I think for that you need to include excessive affection for technical details in your posts, it's not based on post-numbers.  Not really sure what the criterion are, to be honest.