Folder size shows 0 while being calculated

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Folder size shows 0 while being calculated

Post by appyface »

After using CTRL-D to recalculate folder size, x2 displays 0 for size until the calculation is completed. Could x2 show some other type of placeholder until the size is known, such as <wait> <calc> or other?

Thanks and regards,
--appyface
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

bump
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

0 is a good indicator. If it wasn't calculating it would show <dir>
also see www.zabkat.com/blog/23Aug09-folder-size.htm
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

I don't think the -0- is good, a -0- means the directory is empty -- if x2 has finished.  But how to know?  

Sometimes x2 never finishes, and the -0- stays a very long time but the directory is not empty.

Using some intermediate state symbol instead of <dir> and -0- would really help to show us that x2 is still waiting/working on the request to calculate the directory size.  Please reconsider?

Kind regards,
--appyface
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

did you read about the foldersize shell extension mentioned in the article? If you use folder sizes a lot then it is a god-send (instant size display)
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?p=54 ... 36a6ad02b1

Tue May 24, 2011 6:41 pm by Kilmatead

..." It will show up as Folder Size [X], and shouldn't require a restart.  I just installed it now - and while you are correct, it did not appear at first I went into the Control Panel and (using View By: "Small Icons") selected the Folder Size entry to switch the "Format" to "Compact" - once I did this (and restarted x2 just for fun), it appeared in the <Alt-K> list as expected and works just fine."

---

Install foldersize & do the above if you're using Win7.
Live life...
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

Yes I did read that.  But I don't understand how that helps my issue.  Please explain?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Basically using the FolderSize extension eliminates the need for Ctrl-D.  Have you tried it?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

appyface wrote:Yes I did read that.  But I don't understand how that helps my issue.  Please explain?
Install FolderSize and get a background process which installs a so-called "traditional" column handler for folder sizes and their contents. Although, under Vista and w7, windows Explorer cannot access those columns, xplorer2 can.  Just add the FolderSize columns you want to your x2 details view, and you should have what you want.
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

OK I tried the FolderSize extension, it's not what I'm after.

Nikos recommended in another post that I do exactly this (CTRL-D) to find out folders with size=0.

http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?p=41059#41059

But it isn't reliable and leads to false result.

I still don't understand, if '0' can be used for an intermediate result until folder size calculation completes, why can't some other value so to distinguish "no result yet" from "folder size is 0"?
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

While calculating folder sizes, x2 displays <folder> for not yet scanned folders, it doesn't display 0. If it displays 0, it means the folder doesn't contain any files (with data). At least that's how it works for me.
Can't wait to celebrate the day some virgin chick gave birth to a raptor.
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

Not the case here unfortunately, the display switches from <folder> to -0- at some point, and remains there for some time before giving the folder size (if it ever does).
Thracx
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Thracx »

appyface wrote:...the display switches from <folder> to -0- at some point, and remains there for some time before giving the folder size...
I've observed this behavior too, it's been a long-lived bug of X² in my opinion.  "0" doesn't mean "your operation has started", but yet that is what's used.

This is mainly visible for slow operations (i.e. many or large drives).  I often use Ctrl+D, wait until I think it's finished, then change folders to something else, change back, then Ctrl+D again to verify that it has indeed finished and the folders which still say '0' are in fact empty.  (If the previous calculation operation had finished, then this time Ctrl+D will use the cached data and will instantly update the column.)
-Thracx

"Man wants to know, and when he ceases to do so, he is no longer a man."
-Fridtjof Nansen
ScottWall
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ScottWall »

0 is the worst possible value to show when it is calculating. I use ctrl-D when I'm looking for folders to delete. A few times I've blown away a huge amount of data thinking the folder was empty only to discover that I wasn't patient enough for it to finish calculating the large size of the folder.

'0' means empty and something like '-' means indeterminate. Displaying '0' when it is not empty is WRONG and leads to the problems that I've pointed out with my example above.

I don't understand why it is being recommended that I install and configure a different application to avoid being bitten by a bug in an application that I've paid for and that should be trivial to fix.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Although I have learned to live with the current situation,
I agree that it is wrong to show 0.  :(