Make a button that will move selected files/folders

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Caveatrob

Make a button that will move selected files/folders

Post by Caveatrob »

I've messed around with user commands and such and can make a button that moves a single file or folder (using nirCMD) to another folder, but I can't figure out how to do that with more than one file or folder selected.

So - I want to:

1. Select files and/or folders.
2. Press button to move those to a different folder.

Help!
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

What's wrong with F6 [Robust Transfer/Move] ?
Does that not do what you want?
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

The default toolbar only includes a copyto button but you can add a moveto button to it. Right click on empy space in the toolbar and customize.
wperkins99
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wperkins99 »

@Caveatrob:

Right-Click the xplorer² toolbar where you want to put your Copy and Move buttons and select "Customize". Then look for the toolbar buttons labeled "Copy to" and "Move to" (the "to" is important) and add them. You should now be able to do a "Robust Copy" or "Robust Move" of however many files and folders you want at one time from one directory to another.

Is this what you are looking for?
Caveatrob

Move To/Copy To

Post by Caveatrob »

I'd actually like a button hardwired to a particular folder, like my "inbox" folder, so I can select then press the button and have it automatically move there.

Can I do that with robust move?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Interesting idea.

x2 robust transfer does not have that option.

I'm sure there are workarounds (ugh)
like ...
make a bookmark toolbar button for your common move destination.  Then D&D your selection onto it.
or ...
always have your common destination on one of the folder tabs then use the F6 dialog to select the destination tab.

But I like the idea of including an F5/F6 option to specify a persistent destination.  Maybe nikos will consider adding it.  (Other users will have to get on the bandwagon to support such an idea as being a productivity enhancer). :)
atitlan

Post by atitlan »

Maybe Robust Copy + Move could be coded into the context menu of a right-click drag?

Seems that would join the power / options / speed of Robust with the convenience of drag-drop across tabs and panes defined by bookmarks and their icons on toolbars.
wperkins99
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wperkins99 »

TeraCopy currently has that ability (it adds itself as Copy/Move menu choices when you Right-Click-Drag something), so maybe Nikos will consider adding that capability to Robust Copy/Move...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

what does teracopy have that xplorer2 doesn't?
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

The Here option on the copyto/moveto dialog lets you browse to specific folders to copy or move to... these folders are then available in the drop down menu for easy access.

You could also setup a user command toolbar icon that sends the selected files to a script or to teracopy.
wperkins99
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wperkins99 »

Nikos, TeraCopy is a separate EXE that also loads a DLL. It is designed so that you can use it to replace Windows' default Copy/Move (Left-Click-Drag and Right-Click context menu's Copy/Paste). It has Pause/Resume, skips bad files that fail to copy/move (and maintains a list of failures). It buffers the file transfers. Integrates with Right-Click context menu and Right-Click-Drag context menu (provides TeraCopy options in both menus), integrates with Total Commander and Directory Opus. Remembers previous destination directories for reuse.

Speed-wise, I can't tell enough difference between TeraCopy and Robust Copy/Move to notice (I vaguely seem to remember a previous xplorer² post with a speed comparison done by someone [Kilmatead?]). I always use Robust Copy/Move inside xplorer² and always use TeraCopy outside it (though I could use TeraCopy inside xplorer² if I chose).

While I'd like to see Robust Copy/Move in the Right-Click-Drag context menu, like TeraCopy, what I think would be *really useful* would be if Robust Copy/Move could maintain a list of user-generated "Favorites" in addition to the "Recent" list.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Move To/Copy To

Post by fgagnon »

getting back to where Caveatrob wrote:I'd actually like a button hardwired to a particular folder, like my "inbox" folder, so I can select then press the button and have it automatically move there.

Can I do that with robust move?
a good workaround I did not mention is the one FrizzleFry alluded to:
use the drop-down menu on the Robust Transfer
  • (•) Here [_______________________________ v ] ...
line to pick the destination folder from the recent folders list there.
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

You can also create something in 'Tools' - 'DOS command' like:

Code: Select all

$$ copy "$F" "[path to destination]" 
(double $ is for repeating the command for each selected file)
If you don't use this field for any other commands, then you could use 'Repeat command (Alt+F10)' as your shortcut.
Caveatrob

YOU ROCK!!!!

Post by Caveatrob »

>> nircmd.exe execmd move /Y "$F" "c:\dropbox\my dropbox\inbox"

Perfect! No prompt required moves everything!!!!!
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

:shock: -- why didn't I think of that idea for moving stuff into my dropbox!

Thanks for example solution that triggered seeing where that'll save me time. :thumbup: