Do You Want to Allow the Following Program to Make Changes..

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

soonerlater

Do You Want to Allow the Following Program to Make Changes..

Post by soonerlater »

When I start xPlorer2 (ver. 1.8.1.4 [unicode] x64 4/22) Windows 7 gives me an error message:

Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to your computer?

below which it gives the details of xplorer2.

What is the cause of this? What is the fix?
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

Most likely it is UAC (User Account Control). First thing I did after installing Win7 was disabling UAC since it's a pain in the ass if you have your PC under control and you know what's happening on it.

Cause: UAC
Fix: disable UAC
neko
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by neko »

Not really, I do think it cannot be UAC as I use it without any error messages. So cause must be something else.

And UAC is much more than (maybe annoying) dialog. For example UAC taking care of registry/file system virtualization so many old programs that "needs" administration rights, work without administration rights.
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

soonerlater obviously didn't mean to call it an error message since the message is more of a query and says nothing about anything going wrong, so I believe it is UAC.

Not to mention that his description of the error message resembles this:

As for UAC being useful, I can't argue about it because I've always worked on an account with administrative privileges and never used any sort of Windows included protection. I prefer Microsoft providing only the operating platform and let me overcomplicate with stuff I believe I need.
neko
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by neko »

If you use normal account, you'll get much less those dialogs, for example xplorer2 not give any.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i think that you try to run xplorer2 always as admin, that's why you get this UAC warning. For more information see
www.zabkat.com/blog/14Feb10-surviving-UAC.htm