My Unzip Command Not Working

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Gary M. Mugford
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

My Unzip Command Not Working

Post by Gary M. Mugford »

In for a penny, in for a pound. Since I was here anyway with my long post about deleting large amounts of files off NAS drives, I thought I'd mention another peculiarity that's causing me angst.

The exact same user command (minus differences in folder paths) that works with v2 and my WinXP box, is winking at me on my Win7x64 machine and not doing anything.

To unzip a file into a folder of its own name, I use this:
>> "E:\apps\Utilities\7zip\7z.exe" x "$N" -o "$B"

Works perfectly fine every time in XP. I have installed the proper x64 version of 7zip on the current machine. But it simply brings up a dialog that is closed so fast, all I see is the outline of the dialog that was there so every briefly.

The same thing for my zipping user command.
> E:\apps\Utilities\7zip\7z.exe $?,zip $S

I get the dialog to input the name, then the wink and bupkus. And no, I'm not inputting spaces in the name. I guess I should surround the $S with quote marks, but I'm so used to typing in short spaceless names that it doesn't matter.

The context menu works perfectly find and I can create the zips and unzip to the filename's base using the right-click menu. But it takes two clicks and doesn't do multiple files to their filenames like this user command does on my XP box.

Those are the facts. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance, Gary
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

:shrug:

use $ instead of > for these commands and see if there are any error messages you can read in the console
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

If you copied the exact commandline in your post, then it goes wrong in the space behind '-o'
Try

Code: Select all

>> "E:\apps\Utilities\7zip\7z.exe" x "$N" -o"$B"
instead of

I think the other one is not correct as well, since for zipping you need to add an 'a' after the path to 7z.exe, and then an abbreviation as to refer to the compression-format you'd like to use (zip, 7zip, etc).
For a slightly different use, I have this command-line:

>> "C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" a -tzip "$N.zip" "$N\"
Gary M. Mugford
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Gary M. Mugford »

Mr.Pleasant wrote:If you copied the exact commandline in your post, then it goes wrong in the space behind '-o'
Try

>> "E:\apps\Utilities\7zip\7z.exe" x "$N" -o"$B"
instead of

I think the other one is not correct as well, since for zipping you need to add an 'a' after the path to 7z.exe, and then an abbreviation as to refer to the compression-format you'd like to use (zip, 7zip, etc).
For a slightly different use, I have this command-line:

>> "C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" a -tzip "$N.zip" "$N"
Right on both counts. The space screwed up the unzip2Folders and the missing a (I prefer 7z compression by default) soured the zip up function.

Appreciate very much the help in fixing a problem made more vexing by other issues, but a problem of my own making.

Thanks to you and to Nikos, GM