Robust Paste Structured Scrap Clips

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

negg

Robust Paste Structured Scrap Clips

Post by negg »

Freeing our fileserver from old stuff requires me to go through all the project folders, select files we don't need any more and moving them to a backup drive. There is no criteria that allows for an automatic process here, because it depends on many things if a file is still needed or not.

Putting all the files into a scrap, adding one void file from the root of the project folder (to have a topmost common root) and using "Paste as Structured Scrap Clips" works fine. Except:

- on my XP machine the copy window pops up in the foreground when the copy process starts on a new parent folder. If I type a text and press Enter in that moment I accidentally press the cancel button

- sometimes errors occur (like a path that is too long on the backup drive, or a filename with messed up characters that are not allowed on windows) which stops the whole copying process and I can't see which files were copied and which were not.

So what I am dreaming of is a robust paste as structured scrap clips here.

Or a robust copy that allows a file list as "filter" (instead of wildcards)...

Any opinions?
BuBBy

Post by BuBBy »

I had to do a big cleanup archiving stuff across - but the selection criteria of what files I had to transfer was a little better defined (didn't require too much decision making on my part). I had another tool at my disposal which works well with xplorer2 - http://conceptworld.com/Copywhiz

There is probably a lot of overlap - but it is another option you might choose to consider - especially if you are wanting more control over file/folder selection criteria.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I didn't imagine any body understood (never mind used) this command! It could be done robustly in the future. In the meantime to avoid some of the error messages use these tickboxes from Tools > Advanced options:

fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

nikos wrote:I didn't imagine any body understood (never mind used) this command!
Oh, come on ... That's one I've been using for years -- but not more that 3x a week lately doing remote tech support/backup on associates' computers.  :shock:
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

fgagnon wrote:That's one I've been using for years...
Show off.  :roll: