Microsoft's "Robust Copy" is almost done

Post by Tuxman »

Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
CrossX
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrossX »

Why, even in Windows 8, do they persist to have a single pane and not a dual pane file manager?
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Not sure. Good old fileman.exe stopped working natively in Vista.
I heard there are about 12 people working on Windows Explorer. Maybe they should be paid better.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

And their "conflict resolution" feature looks quite nice and useful.
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

CrossX wrote:Why, even in Windows 8, do they persist to have a single pane and not a dual pane file manager?
Excellent question.

I guess that they think that the user can open another instance of explorer and tile them vertically/horizontally, then spend a few minutes figuring out how to remove the tree in one or both panes, perhaps even make the panes auto retract, good luck with that intuitive feature :x  and then.... try to figure out how to save that state and then open both simultaneously again, or worse, whenever you open a new window it's half size and then spend hours figuring out that you have to close all windows then open one window only and tile that vertically to restore full size to all windows, and so it goes *sigh*.....

Guess that nikos's X2 is future proof, I certainly have no desire to jump ship to another app. nope, rather jump off a bridge than spend hours trying to figure out what the benefits of junctions are....
snemarch
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by snemarch »

CrossX wrote:Why, even in Windows 8, do they persist to have a single pane and not a dual pane file manager?
Probably because it works just fine for all the regular users who don't spend a lot of time doing file management?

The basic OS features are designed to cater to the "normal" user base.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

For those interested, the followup blog for Win 8 Explorer may be found here, including a video (if you're really sleepy) which seems intent upon proving that MS employees aren't people you'd care to have a drink with.  Seems an awful lot of trouble for an OS that's little more than an excuse to buttress MS's flagging tablet sales.

If nothing else, the eagle-eyed amongst you might notice a slight rejigging of some wording in one of the paragraphs that was in the previous blog:
Previous Blog wrote:Our telemetry data shows that the most popular of these add-ons (such as TeraCopy, FastCopy, and Copy Handler) are running on fewer than .45% of Windows 7 PCs.
This Blog wrote:The most popular add-ons and replacements (programs like TeraCopy, FastCopy, xplorer2 & QTTabBar) are installed (note that does not mean used) on about 0.45% of PC’s.
Last edited by Kilmatead on 2011 Aug 29, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Win 8 explorer still seems to be worse than Win3.1 fileman. Thanks for the link. Let us hope they'll manage to integrate, at least, better file system abilities.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the ribbon is the most stoopid UI idea ever. It takes too much space and it isn't customizable. The only good thing about it is that you can hide it!
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Yes, but as per my quotes in the above post, you have now been officially "dissed" by Microsoft in public!  That must be worth something on the open market, no? :wink:

Maybe we should get our posse together and pop some caps in their arses...

(Oi, now I really need to get a life.)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Actually I remember reading somewhere that the Ribbon in Win 8 is actually customisable (as well as being disable-able), so I think they learned that lesson.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

right, i missed that bit, xplorer2 made it officially into a MS blog! Must be a good program then :)

when they talk about a customizable ribbon all they mean is the quick access toolbar, which is ... well a toolbar!
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

They're probably even using x2 in the development stages of Windows 8.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

I found it funny though that they said they found out users use QTTabBar and xplorer² but added none of their primary improvements.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:...but added none of their primary improvements.
That's because your man was quick to mention those applications are installed, but not necessarily used.  And, as MS are so proud of their little charts telling us what the top-10 commands are (for bored housewives), they probably reckon we don't use those features in the wild either.