xplorer2 build 2.001

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

xplorer2 build 2.001

Post by nikos »

* registry tweak GAOPT_NOX2SHCMENU stops xplorer² adding its own menu items in the standard shell context menu (available through Options > Advanced settings, Global page)

* fixed a couple of bugs e.g. infotip formatting

32 bit: www.zabkat.com/xplorer2_setup.exe
64 bit: www.zabkat.com/xplorer2_setup64.exe
pablo

Post by pablo »

Thanks for the regfix, it works!

Just wanted to let you know before this thread goes horribly off-topic!
Last edited by pablo on 2011 Sep 23, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

Thanks very much.
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

If I could ask for something from my 50 years old future self, it would be an x2 installer, just to see if grouping is remembered in the second panel and if the number of toolbars limit has been removed :D
Can't wait to celebrate the day some virgin chick gave birth to a raptor.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

IneedHelp wrote:If I could ask for something from my 50 years old future self...
And if I could ask something from my 50 year old future self (assuming he avoids the usual damages like shotgun blasts to the head, heroin overdoses, and other such joys of life) it would be what his final conclusion was on the Santa Clause Conundrum - did he ever really exist, or was it some ploy by the powers that be to teach me the lesson that if you want something done right you have to do it yourself?  Make your own dreams come true, give the girl the biggest diamond, go back in time and finally punch that guy who made you feel helpless in the face of tragedy...

Oh wait, you were serious... or maybe just impatient... or maybe just expecting too much from a .0.0.1 release?  For instance, we could pretend to put ourselves in the shoes of someone in Darfur (in a moment of bleeding-heart weakness) and say to ourselves: look, the news is telling us that Greece is the new pariah that will bring about the end of Western Capitalism as we know it, so hopefully I can get what I want before my world caves in (shutgun shells, needles, etc, - these things are quite inexpensive), but really I'm just a refugee in a prison camp hoping nobody recognises me.  So, maybe if I sit here are look sad enough the liberals will do their liberal thing (which, originally, was just about getting laid by the cute chicks in university - but seems to have gotten out of control now) and hope they forget about saving the whales for a little while and pay attention to my plight between advertisement breaks.  Now, as much as that's in bad taste (well, not really if you happen to be a whale in the Sea of Japan) you instead ask yourself, "Self, if I were a deity unto myself, what would I do?"  Do I give in to the braying masses and answer their myriad braying prayers?  Or do I just whistle a lonely tune and watch the end of the world on television and hope like hell it doesn't really affect me?

Actually, in reality, my 50 year old self would just say "Umm... can you refresh my memory about those university chicks again, it's been awhile, you know, and part of getting older is knowing that your priorities are supposed to change, but somehow they rarely do..."  And then your girlfriend looks over your shoulder and sees what you're writing and says, "Yo, white boy, what would you know about Darfur?"  So then I have to get all defensive and say "worry not, dear, it's just a metaphor, go get a hot chocolate."

By now, as you can imagine, not only am I in trouble with the international aid agencies (my cheque must have bounced), but I'm also in hock with the girlfriend who starts thinking to herself "hmm... when he's 50, I'm going to be 32 - I'm not sure I like where this relationship is heading... was my mum right after all?" (never mind the emails I keep getting from the Japanese Whaling Consortium).  And if there's anything a 50-year-old self knows, it's that when your girlfriend starts listening to her mother, nothing good is going to come of it (especially when her mum is one of those GreenPeace fanatics).

And suddenly I feel very very tired, and end up wishing I'd never asked myself anything at all.  I mean, like dude, what would happen if your 50 year old self said "don't you be worrying about programme installers, in a couple of years from now some guy is going to kneecap you with a big stick (with an even bigger nail in it) because you made his sister cry?"

So what's the moral of the story?  Nothing good comes from the future, nothing at all.  Even the stuff that looks like it might be good won't be.  It's just one of those immutable laws they don't tell you about (like the Santa Clause thing), because this was only a 0.0.1 release, not a Jumpin'-Jack-Flash moment of inspiration from our fearless leader.  He's only human (unless he's a whale, in which case we're in bigger trouble than we think).

So repeat to yourself, "Patience is a virtue".  (Which it isn't, by the way, that's just something they use to keep us pacified - kind of like hot chocolate.)  What you should really be saying to yourself is: "Disappointment is what life is about".  In fact, tell your 50 year old self to get out of that rut of depression and alcoholism he's gotten himself into and do something noble, like help a little old lady across the street or steal her purse - at the end of the world, is there much difference? - I contend that the definition of "Noble" is rather fluid under those conditions.

It's just a matter of perspective - a context menu fix one day, a group-hug the next.  Toolbars will soon be extinct anyway (if you take Windows 8 seriously, never mind the desktop-application as we know it), so remember that it's the little things in life that hurt so much (sorry, that's supposed to read "that matter" - but that would be a lie, too).

Anyway, stay away from your 50 year old self.  You don't want to meet the man you never wanted to become.  Bad ju-ju, that.  But life has a way of doing strange things to you, and the inevitability of inexorably slow change is one of them.

(Eh, don't mind me... it's been a slow fortnight on the forums, everybody must have gone back to school or something... I just felt like ranting incoherently - it's been awhile - and it's the only thing that keeps me sane when the hot chocolate wears-off. :shrug:)
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

Kilmatead wrote:Oh wait, you were serious... or maybe just impatient... or maybe just expecting too much from a .0.0.1 release?
This particular release version and release date make for a pretty amusing couple and I couldn't resist wondering loud about future ones.
Kilmatead wrote:In fact, tell your 50 year old self to get out of that rut of depression and alcoholism he's gotten himself into and do something noble[...]
No, I'd ask my 50 year old self where did he (I?) go wrong with milk and juice in the past.
Kilmatead wrote:Anyway, stay away from your 50 year old self.  You don't want to meet the man you never wanted to become.
That's not a bad thing, I'd rather not meet myself as the man I always wanted to become- I'll most probably screw things along the line and never reach the same social and intellectual state :D
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

Kilmatead wrote:
IneedHelp wrote:If I could ask for something from my 50 years old future self...
And if I could ask something from my 50 year old future self
Wait, you are not? :shock:
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
Ray

Post by Ray »

Suppressing the context menus could already be achieved (easily) using a freeware alternative, I pointed this out in another thread. The software "Hace MMM" also lets you control long unwieldy context menus so it actually makes sense to have it on your system, its purpose wouldn't just be limited to hiding the Xplorer2 menus. [Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the company.]

I try the latest releases of XYPlorer from time to time, just to see what's new. What struck me was its rename functionality, it's light-years ahead of X2. The same could be said of almost all other major file managers. I love the X2 philosophy and wouldn't trade it for another but there are some areas where it lags severely. It took years for X2 to catch up to the polished UI that almost all other file managers have been sporting since forever. It took several releases to fix a fundamental flaw in file selection (in thumbnail mode). I sincerely hope the rename functionality gets a serious revamp and catches up with the times soon, it's stagnated long enough.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Ray wrote:Suppressing the context menus could already be achieved (easily) using a freeware alternative...
Those utilities rely upon a context menu entry being created via registry or DLL (which, as you say, can be easily disabled) - x2's was (as far as I know) hardcoded into x2 itself thus it couldn't be seen by such 3rd party utilities (as it wasn't an "explorer" extension like the others).  At least I couldn't find an x64 utility which could "see it to kill it".
Ray wrote:I sincerely hope the rename functionality gets a serious revamp and catches up with the times soon, it's stagnated long enough.
As Nikos has mentioned before, there are many many free 3rd-party dedicated Rename facilitators which in their own turn (being dedicated) are themselves light-years ahead of anything he could ever "build-in".  As x2 integrates with these perfectly already, he sees no reason to reinvent the wheel.  "Built-in" does not mean better - why should one man spend months recreating what others have already spent years developing just to end up with the same thing?
wasker wrote:Wait, you are not?
'Nother 10 years to go, I'm afraid.  All is not lost just yet. :wink:
IneedHelp wrote:I'd rather not meet myself as the man I always wanted to become...
The man you meet on the proverbial Road to Damascus is rarely the one you envision anyway, so you're in luck.  Unfortunately (being proverbial) there's always a sting in the tail to that type of luck which resembles something from a Russian novel. :D  Of course, as the younger generation don't read any more anyway these days, you'll find that one out the hard way.  That said, we could just call you Dorian Gray and all happily watch from the sidelines as the long slow decline envelopes your stolid self, visually - yet the emotional wounds will show for themselves in a slightly different (and unexpected) manner; Patrice Mersault notwithstanding.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

Ray wrote:It took years for X2 to catch up to the polished UI that almost all other file managers have been sporting since forever
like, say, total commander? :P
who said that thing about chainsaws not needing lace?
Ray

Post by Ray »

As Nikos has mentioned before, there are many many free 3rd-party dedicated Rename facilitators
Because renaming is an integral part of file management.
Because it's something used so frequently, it's far more convenient to rename files using the app that's already open than to run a 3rd party app, focus on that, rename, close the app, go back to X2, ensure that the changes are reflected within X2. I am perfectly happy to use third party tools that integrate with X2 through context menus. I understand the needlessness of a file manager having everything and the kitchen sink built in. Renaming (for me) is a strong exception.
Ray

Post by Ray »

like, say, total commander? :P
who said that thing about chainsaws not needing lace?
To the point, as always. :wink:

Now name a file manager with renaming functionality more primitive than that of X2 and shut me (and anyone who's ever demanded an improvement there) up, forever. :)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

here's my apology for renaming. I can't think of any way to make mass renaming feel natural within xplorer2's workflow. It seems like a weird and special add-on. If I add something it won't feel in tune with the rest of the program. So why not just use some of the already available purpose made and free utilities?
Ray

Post by Ray »

And here's my apology if I came across as one of those brash over-demanding users (whom I personally loathe).

BTW, if that's all that's holding the dev. of the renaming functionality back, then all you have to do is ask. There are a lot of great minds here (self excluded :P ) who could possibly come up with a fitting solution.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:here's my apology for renaming. I can't think of any way to make mass renaming feel natural within xplorer2's workflow. It seems like a weird and special add-on.
Hmm... I'm on your side of this issue, but even I don't buy that excuse.

Must.
Try.
Harder.
Ray wrote:And here's my apology if I came across as one of those brash over-demanding users (whom I personally loathe).
Essentially all 3rd party file managers treat mass-renaming as an extended add-on (after all, you kind of need a separate window for all the options anyway)... so I'm a little lost as to how (even without shell extensions) integrating x2 with a dedicated renamer is somehow awkward or "non-integral" - you select the files in x2, pass them to the external programme via a toolbar button or something, and the changes are (in my experience) immediately refreshed in x2's display.  Where's the snag?

This sort of "complaint/request" has been around for a rather long time and Nikos never seems to have taken to it with much gusto, so I'm afraid you might be up against a brick-wall.  That said, even he should have come up with a better reason than "umm... workflow ergonomics..." :D