Selecting all identically named files with one click?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

polarbeer

Selecting all identically named files with one click?

Post by polarbeer »

Hi,

I'm a newbie xplorer2 (Lite) -user, who would like to know if the following can be done with Lite or Professional versions.

I have thousands of photos and videos which are named like this. (Explanations in parenthesis):

Photos:

2011-03-12_13-29-58_P1000240.JPG   (original jpg-file)
2011-03-12_13-29-58_P1000240.JPG.xmp (sidecar file for jpg-file created by digiKam Digital Asset Management (DAM) software, that contains all metadata)
2011-03-12_13-29-58_P1000240.RW2  (same file as jpg, but in Panasonic's RAW format)
2011-03-12_13-29-58_P1000240.RW2.xmp (sidecar file for raw-image)

Videos:

2011-07-13_10-09-36_FSH.m2ts (original AVCHD video file)
2011-07-13_10-09-36_FSH.cpi   (clip info file related to m2ts file)
2011-07-13_10-09-36_FSH.m2ts.xmp (sidecar file for m2ts file)

If I move or copy these media files (jpg, rw2, m2ts) I usually want XMP-sidecars and CPI-files to follow. Is there any functionality in xplorer2 that would help me in managing these files? Ie. if I choose a few media files (CTRL+CLICK) from a folder containing hundreds of files, xplorer2 would automatically select all these "buddy" files for me too! Thus I wouldn't have to CTRL+CLICK those buddy files too, and this would save me a lot of work.

If this can be done with some other program I would be glad to hear that too!

Filters can be probably used to easily hide buddy files when not needed to be displayed?

I'm all ears if you have any other good tips to manage these homogeneously/identically named files that differ by file extension only!

Thanks for your time and help!

-pb
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

I work as well with source and source meta-files, but I generally move or copy the entire source folder, still, I understand what you want. Creating a script for x2 to fulfill this purpose right now- should be ready in an hour or so.
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

i'm sure INeedHelp's script will be very good...

until then, does this help:

similar query

the search i performed to get that result

regards
Live life...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

To clarify the post Profess pointed out, using <Alt><Shift><Num-Pad '+'> will do the trick nicely.  (Any key referred in the forums or the manual as a "grey" key is the corresponding Number-Pad key.)

To select multiple groups, simply use <Alt><Shift><Num-Pad '+'> after each singular base-name selection is made.

(It should be pointed out that the "Lite" version will be unable to use scripts in the fashion IneedHelp is thinking of, so consider that a caveat. :wink:)
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

when i found the article and tested it out with alt+shift+greyplus i managed to get this to work.

selecting other groups of files, i don't get.

how did you manage to select more than one group of files?
Live life...
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

[X2MetaMove]

Post by IneedHelp »

Image X2MetaMove 3.0.0.1
Okay, here's the first quick release:

Download link (32-bit and 64-bit): http://www.prezentarevirtuala.ro/_priva ... x86x64.rar

Sauce overview: http://www.prezentarevirtuala.ro/_priva ... x86x64.au3
SLOPPY DEMO VIDEO AVAILABLE! : Watch in FullHD or HD
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Usage:

1. Create user command:
>"X2MetaMove.exe" /List="$>" /Destination="$I" /Operation="Move" /Extensions="m2ts rw2 cpi jpg xmp"
or
>"X2MetaMove.exe" /List="$>" /Destination="$I" /Operation="Copy" /Extensions="m2ts rw2 cpi jpg xmp"
or
>"X2MetaMove.exe" /List="$>" /Destination="$I" /Operation="Select" /Extensions="m2ts rw2 cpi jpg xmp"

(Note: /Operation can be Copy, Move or Select, depending on your preferred action. If you want all, create separate user commands.)

2. Place user command as a button on preferred tool-bar.

3. Use dual pane display (selected files will be copied/moved from active pane to inactive pane, but you can also specify a custom location by replacing "$I" with your preferred destination).

Note: Add or remove extensions from the /Extensions option, but keep them separated by space.

Code: Select all

; #APPLICATION# =================================================================================================================
; Name ..........: X2MetaMove
; Version .......: 3.0.0.0
; Description ...: Move, copy or select source file(s) and source meta-file(s).
; Syntax ........:
; Parameters ....:
; Return values .:
; Author ........: MihaiS (mihais13@gmail.com)
; Created .......: 20.12.2011 [22:57:25]
; Modified ......: 23.12.2011 [02:08:47]
; Remarks .......:
; Related .......:
; Link ..........:
; Example .......:
; ===============================================================================================================================

; #CHANGELOG# ===================================================================================================================
; Version .......: 1.0.0.0
; Released ......: 21.12.2011 [00:30:45]
; Description ...: Initial public release posted at http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?p=57169#57169
;~ ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Version .......: 2.0.0.0
; Released ......: 21.12.2011 [04:06:08]
; Description ...: Utility copies/moves only files and ignores any selected folders.
; Description ...: Utility copies/moves related/associated files regardless of which file (source or meta-file) from the bulk is selected.
; Description ...: Utility copies/moves only related/associated files specified by type (extension).
;~ ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Version .......: 3.0.0.0
; Released ......: 23.12.2011 [02:06:10]
; Description ...: Utility can extend selection range to source/source meta-files based on initial selection.
; ===============================================================================================================================
And as Kilmatead said, I think you need the professional version for user commands to work, so maybe you should get it and then show Nikos some love.
Last edited by IneedHelp on 2011 Dec 23, 02:46, edited 9 times in total.
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

file not found... 404
Live life...
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

profess wrote:file not found... 404
Thanks, fixed.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

profess wrote:how did you manage to select more than one group of files?
Instead of selecting all the basenames at the same time (as you would for a normal selection set), simply select them one by one, hitting <Alt><Shift><Num-Pad '+'> after each, as that command will only match extensions to the "last selected" basename, not all of them at once - and they will be "added" to the previous selections.

Rather useful for AVI's with attending IDX/SUB files.
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

ok i see now, thanks

i couldn't get the app to work, fiddling around with user commands and what nots, but that's just me.  assuming it works as advertised though...
Live life...
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

profess wrote:i couldn't get the app to work, fiddling around with user commands and what nots, but that's just me.  assuming it works as advertised though...
I'm working a bit more to add a couple extra features, then I will post the new version and a demo video.

Added a new version of the utility. Tested and works properly. Copies/moves source and meta-files regardless of which of them are selected. Only specified file types are affected (extensions enumerated in the /Extensions option) and selected folders (if any) are ignored.

SLOPPY DEMO VIDEO AVAILABLE! : Watch in FullHD or HD
Last edited by IneedHelp on 2011 Dec 21, 03:31, edited 2 times in total.
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

Note that the Alt+Shift+NumPad+ works only with files that have a single extension.

Polarbeer suggests that he's handling files with two extensions as well, like:
2011-03-12_13-29-58_P1000240.RW2.xmp (sidecar file for raw-image)
or
2011-07-13_10-09-36_FSH.m2ts.xmp (sidecar file for m2ts file)

In this case, selecting any of those files would not select the accompanying files. The utility I've made covers this scope.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

IneedHelp wrote:Note that the Alt+Shift+NumPad+ works only with files that have a single extension.
Not true - as technically files with "multiple" extensions are merely illusions in NTFS, x2 just applies an automatic Basename.* filter which catches everything (Num-pad '+', sans <Shift><Alt>) - as your compound extensions are in reality just a single extension with multiple "dots".

That said, there seems to be no standard for handling such objects - some programmes determine filetype from the right side of the string to the first '.' and others from the left.  Personally, I tend to "assume" a right-side prejudice. :shrug:

As for the script, I'd be more impressed if it actually selected the files in the pane and left it at that, and didn't actually move them (using scripting to move 1 GB size files is not efficacious) - what if I only wanted to comment the files?  Or delete them?  Or gaze longingly in their eyes across a properly cooked plate of lobster? Should I have to make buttons for all of those too?  :twisted:  (Sound familiar? :D  Feel free to try and implement that - it's harder than it seems, unfortunately.)
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

Kilmatead wrote:
IneedHelp wrote:Note that the Alt+Shift+NumPad+ works only with files that have a single extension.
Not true - as technically files with "multiple" extensions are merely illusions in NTFS, x2 just applies an automatic Basename.* filter which catches everything (Num-pad '+', sans <Shift><Alt>) - as your compound extensions are in reality just a single extension with multiple "dots".
I know files don't actually have 2 extensions, I'm just calling them that way to differentiate :D

Let's take the following files for example:

New File.cpi
New File.rw2
New File.jpg
New File.txt
New File.xmp
New File.m2ts

New File.m2ts.xmp
New File.jpg.xmp
New File.cpi.xmp
New File.rw2.xmp
New File.xmp.xmp

Selecting any file with a single extension (the italicized ones) then pressing the key combination would select all files- we both agree on this. What I'm saying is that selecting any file with two extensions (the bold ones), by pressing the key combination the selection range will resume only to the selected file.

Let's say we select  New File.jpg.xmp. This file's base name is  New File.jpg, so the key combination tries to select  New File.jpg.*, thus only one file will remain selected - the initial selected fie.
Kilmatead wrote:As for the script, I'd be more impressed if it actually selected the files in the pane and left it at that, and didn't actually move them (using scripting to move 1 GB size files is not efficacious) - what if I only wanted to comment the files?  Or delete them?  Or gaze longingly in their eyes across a properly cooked plate of lobster? Should I have to make buttons for all of those too?  :twisted:  (Sound familiar? :D  Feel free to try and implement that - it's harder than it seems, unfortunately.)
Well, most of the operations should be possible via user command line options : D Moving or copying files could even be handled by TeraCopy, but yeah, it would be more useful to have the items selected rather than processed. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED*!

*not really :D
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

IneedHelp wrote:Let's say we select  New File.jpg.xmp. This file's base name is  New File.jpg, so the key combination tries to select  New File.jpg.*, thus only one file will remain selected - the initial selected fie.
Ah, this is interesting - I conceive of these things as "Parent" and "Child" files (why else have mixed extensions?), so as long as the initially selected file is a "Parent" (such as Dude.AVI) then that will capture Dude.Pax.SFX and Dude.Lunch.SUB - the mask is derived from the parent, so 3 files selected.  I know you built in the idea to add loose selections (to select SUB in lieu of AVI and still glean both, but I would have assumed the user knows what he's doing when selecting a "child" file, and thus let him off without the fuzzy matching - of course, then one must discern how to distinguish a "parent" file from a mere scallywag.  :shrug:  Now our scripts need AI?  Feck's sake...
IneedHelp wrote:...but yeah, it would be more useful to have the items selected rather than processed. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!
Well, it was in the title of the thread after all. :D  (It's not impossible, but would require some thought to do properly [DLLCalls, etc] - that one goes on the "think about" pile for now, methinks. :wink:)