alpha version 2008

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

alpha version 2008

Post by nikos »

new xplorer2 test version -- only for the brave!
www.zabkat.com/kenny.7z

this is debug 32 bit version, no installer etc, just unpack & run. The biggest addition is View > Details pane but also many other nice stuff explained in changes.txt

any problems or feedback let me know
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

It is, indeed, pretty sweet.  Extra kudos for getting it to use thumbnails for image files and mp3 album art.  

Got error on exit:

---------------------------
debug
some assertions failed, do you want to see the log file?
Yes   No  
EDIT:  
Actually I think I remember the same error from the last Kenny.  It went away in the compiled version....

Question: What's the difference between "Pro" and "Ultimate?"  Is Ultimate going to be some hybrid between portable and non-portable, or is it a different product altogether?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Oh, wait - I can just remove ES_WANTRETURN myself!  I'll have this brain salad surgery of yours turned into a self-service masturbatory playground of adult-only non-fiction in no time. :wink:

It would, however, be nice to have the option - now that your new Viewy-thingy can display multiple-line comments with ease, and I rather imagine that 73.6% of all quick-comments are single-line entries.

<As we note with sad chagrin that the Customise Toolbar modal didn't see any love.  Sigh.  I'll get you yet, my pretty.>
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

as multi-line comments are offered there is a conflict for the use of <return> there
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Hence the checkbox option, you serious Nelly, you.  God forbid a user should be given an option.  Next thing you know, they'll want human rights, gourmet coffee, and happiness.  Give it a few years, and we'll all be a bunch of soft corrupt communists.  Where's my hair-shirt...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

kunkel321 wrote: some assertions failed, do you want to see the log file?
you will always see that, so it's nothing to be worried about, unless something funny went on with the program, in which case send me the file
longfellow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by longfellow »

Details Pane looks interesting.

But how does one switch to the Details Pane via the keyboard? For instance, Ctrl+Shift+Tab switches to the Preview Pane, what key combo switches to the Details Pane?

Once one is in the Details Pane, Tab and Shift+Tab navigate through the fields; but when one reaches the last field, Tab returns to the active pane. Likewise, at the last field, Shift+Tab jumps to the Address Bar. Shouldn't these cycle? For example, 'Comment' should jump back to 'Name' rather than to the Address Bar.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i didn't add any keyboard shortcuts yet as (a) we have run out of tab-combinations and (b) what do you want to do in that pane anyway? Whatever details you can change in there are also available as direct commands already
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

Please explain what's with the Ultimate version.
-----
In my opinion, as a user who works in details view all the time, the biggest addition isn't View > Details pane, it would only be a waste of space as it is now. A new (or improved) Preview pane would've been worth the effort though (which is what I initially thought you were going to do with the dedicated details pane- I know I'm stupid mixing the term details with preview).
-----
This is most appreciated:
* Actions > Folder settings > Default menu command will fix the pane style, sort order, columns and grouping for all folders according to the current settings. Untick to revert to the classic 'last setting used is the default' mode. When the default mode is active, if you make any changes in some folder (e.g. switch to thumbnails) these will turn back to default once you browse some other folder.
-----
This would've been appreciated as well:
* [P] show in groups mode now supports collapsible groups (windows vista and later), use the little group header icons to collapse and expand a group. WARNING: items in collapsed groups remain selected so be careful if you delete after collapsing a group!. To collapse/expand a group with the keyboard, select the group header then press left or right arrow keys respectively.
but unfortunately it lacks usability:

1. group header icon is located to the right side of the pane.
2. group header icon is not visible when horizontal pane scroll is enabled (and that happens a lot with dual pane mode view). This would've not been a problem if the icon was located on the left side.
3. the keyboard shortcut isn't really a keyboard shortcut if it requires clicking the group header. Why would I click the group header and then press left instead of clicking the group header icon directly? I suspect this has something to do with the fact that the icon is located to the right side and not visible at all times. A better option would've been to just collapse the group of the selected item(s) by pressing left.
4. toggling a group with the mouse is painful at times because the icon shifts its location (left/right, up/down) when collapsing/expanding.
5. is expanding groups when refreshing the view a feature? because I could live without it.
6. total number of items of a group is shown only when the group is collapsed. I know I can get the number of items of an expanded group by clicking its header and reading the info from the status/info bar, but it's not convenient when you want an overview of multiple groups.
7. would've been nice to remember (or be able to save) the grouping state of groups.

Although Windows Explorer is crap, it is an example of how groups should work (except for the fact that it groups based on ranges like A-H, I-P, Q-Z, etc.). It has the icon on the left, it doesn't shift position when toggling, shows the number of group items at all times and remembers group states.

Of course, there are other additions to the new version, but I referred only to those that I am most interested in.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it isn't the same as the detailed view mode as it shows context specific information, e.g. if you select an EXE you will see its version, for MP3 you'll see the duration etc. It could be a habit changer this one... forget about detailed view mode, and keep the details pane, switch to list mode to see more files, and keep the pane header in the folder just for sorting.

as for the grouping interface, i can't do much to change it. Windows explorer uses a different listview control that MS never bothered to document for 3rd party programs :shrug:
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

nikos wrote:it isn't the same as the detailed view mode as it shows context specific information, e.g. if you select an EXE you will see its version, for MP3 you'll see the duration etc.
Fair
nikos wrote:It could be a habit changer this one... forget about detailed view mode, and keep the details pane, switch to list mode to see more files, and keep the pane header in the folder just for sorting.
Most definitely not. I hate scrolling horizontally for files, and I want to easily see and compare file details (size, attributes, creation, modification time), not to mention that I can't live without grouping (why would I complain about the group collapsing/expanding implementation if I didn't care about it?).
nikos wrote:as for the grouping interface, i can't do much to change it. Windows explorer uses a different listview control that MS never bothered to document for 3rd party programs :shrug:
Ok, feck Microsoft for that. The fact that you added group collapsing despite missing documentation is a step forward. Maybe one day it will get closer to what I wish.
--------------------------------
Kunkel and I asked about the Ultimate version. Sorry if I missed the explanation, but could you give some information about this?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

right, nothing to worry about, the ultimate version will replace the portable version and will cost $50. It won't have much over the professional version, except for portability of course
longfellow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by longfellow »

nikos wrote:i didn't add any keyboard shortcuts yet as (a) we have run out of tab-combinations...
Why not have Ctrl+Shift+Tab move to and then toggle between the Preview and Detail panes?
nikos wrote:...and (b) what do you want to do in that pane anyway?
Well, edit the fields, obviously. :) Seeing as the fields are editable from the Details pane, it seemed like the natural thing to do.
nikos wrote:Whatever details you can change in there are also available as direct commands already
Okay, fair enough.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

did anybody play around with the settings file persistence (instead of registry) available from Tools > Options > General?
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

Hi Nikos,

Click View - Details pane
Float the pane
Click on Modified (or Created) timestamp
Click View - Details Pane.

The Details pane closes but the Change attributes dialogue remains open!!

If the Details Pane is docked it cannot be closed with the Change attributes dialogue open.

You know me Nikos, I only find the silly ones!!

O.S. is XP