Post by nikos »

here's another beta, now ONLY in 64 bits, nothing much added since 2009
www.zabkat.com/xplorer2_setup64_ult_beta.exe
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:...nothing much added since 2009
Curiously, there are those curmudgeons in the audience who might take that literally, like "we haven't changed the brewing process for our beers since 1652." :wink:

Oh thank the Gods - now the evil scrap-container icon from the 1970's can be scrapped.  And I'm honoured that my little utility got a link in the readme - even though I resent the phraseology of calling it a "trick" - it's a legitimate business tax-deduction, just like prostitutes at Christmas parties and "that white powder that I have never seen before, Officer, so it can't be mine!".
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: build 200.10 beta (64 bit)

Post by kunkel321 »

nikos wrote:.. now ONLY in 64 bits..
Wow, that must be the smallest download ever.    :shock:  :wink:
Dhamu

Ctrl+F2 changed

Post by Dhamu »

When changing an extension, F2 has always given the warning

"If you change a file name extension, the file might become unusable. Are you sure you want to change it?"

Using Ctrl+F2 has not.  With 2.0.0.9, Ctrl+F2 is as ever.  With 2.0.0.10, it gives the same warning as plain F2.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that's what we call consistency!
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

That's what we call annoying change of behavior!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you saw what kind of support emails i have to deal with lately, it's best to err on the safe side
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

How about an option to disable that warning for those of us that know what we are doing :)
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

having had the pleasure of observing people use software it still amazes me that UI designers still think that confirmation dialogues actually makes folks pause......check......confirm......execute, and then there's the dialogue which pops up, obscures the original action and it doesn't display old vs new change, I mean really, if the confirmation dialogue obscures the change and one can't view the change within the box, what is the point of the confirmation dialogue ?.

Some software designers actually care enough about the annoyances which the confirmation dialogues might cause and the adverse effects it might have on their software sales that they implement options for most of the confirmation dialogues, a good example of this is  http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ it has a great option set for all those annoying confirmation dialogues.
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

FrizzleFry wrote:How about an option to disable that warning for those of us that know what we are doing :)
Yes Please

(don't get me started on the stupid confirmation dialogues that my nokia  has, three different keys with which to delete and they ALL have confirmation dialogues, how fvcking bizarre is that).
I sometimes feel like getting on a jet, go to nokia land, and slap those UI designers around with a big Cod Fish until they spit scales.

*sigh*, Rant Over.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

honestly now, how many times you change extensions using <ctrl+F2>?
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

nikos wrote:honestly now, how many times you change extensions using <ctrl+F2>?
I do frequently because I have extensions hidden as default.

But I think that you're missing the point nikos, confirmation dialogues are more of a nuisance than assistance.

If I press delete I want it to execute, I really don't enjoy the, "are you sure", "are you really sure", "are you certain you're sure" annoying dialogues.
Imagine you open the throttle of your motorbike wide open and a dialogue box popped up saying, "are you sure you want to go this fast", "Is it safe", "are you sure you aren't speeding", "are you in traffic" ?....etc...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

I do it often as well - an option in general would be a good idea - and not just for Ctrl-F2 - I'm forever copying source code samples off the net using copy/paste, and considering that x2 defaults to ".txt" on an x2scrap.txt file (despite me explicitly setting "New Files" to have no extension), I have no choice but to change it.

Amusingly it is polite enough not to ask if I'm adding an extension to a file that has none to begin with, so just extend us the same courtesy and let the customer support monkeys that you have chained to their desks with very little food and wine be damned.

Caveat actor - "let the user (doer) beware".  This is the "professional" version after all - give us the benefit of the doubt.  (And then if we complain you can toss us to the seven hells with a clean conscience.)
Dhamu

Post by Dhamu »

I noticed it, didn't I?  In practice, I rename two files multiple times a day in one of my Opera installations (I have six on each of the two notebooks attached to this monitor) to make it appear as a different browser to certain sites I make a bit of money on. While no one else will do this particular extension rename, many people will have reason to do their own varieties.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

64 bits? So, 8 byte then?

edit: New toolbar is new! Not sure if I like the icon though.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012