v2.1 released

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i had an idea about this mass rename with regexp but it wasn't mature enough to go into production, next time!

regarding ultimate vs pro, the differences aren't astronomical at present but the products will continue diverging in the future
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

gufus wrote:What ver are u using?
Pro. Yet.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

Ultimate version installed, registered and all my shortcuts (I think!) now pointing to the correct version of x². Everything is looking good.

Thank you Nikos for all your work on x².
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

I'd like to suggest that x² comes as pro AND ult in one package and determines its state from the license file. Would save some effort for upgraders.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:I'd like to suggest that x² comes as pro AND ult in one package and determines its state from the license file.
The binaries are different (yet share the same name), thus it would have to be done at Install-time anyway, so you'd be messing with "trial" licenses and all that malarkey.  If you just install into the same folder as the Pro version used to be in (as Pro is redundant, except for "anorak testing"), it's not exactly a serious upgrade inconvenience.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Kilmatead wrote:The binaries are different (yet share the same name)
I presume nikos uses preprocessor directives for that, so it should not me much of a problem to replace them by "if...".
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

I imagine in the same way as he's kept the "lite" version completely separate all this time, in the future when the Ultimate version can detect the atomic decay rates within SSD cells and act accordingly while the Professional version just goes "Huh?", there's a master plan at work here.  And, as we all know, Master Plans always look just like laziness to the casual bystander.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

So do most Greek plans.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

The difference between lite and pro is that lite has stripped functionality, while the difference between pro and ultimate is something that most software developers offer as a free choice to users: portability (which used to be just a $10 option for the pro version in the past).

I would've happily paid a $20-$50 extra for the ultimate version if it presented some features I actually cared about (think lite vs pro functionality differences), not something I can emulate with a portable sandboxing application.
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

Hi,
When I have only one instance of xplorer² Pro Ultimate running, the icon in the Windows Taskbar is the new orangey icon.

When I have more than one instance of xplorer² Pro Ultimate running, the "group" icon in the Windows Taskbar is the old bronze icon.

Is this by design?

I find this a bit confusing. I got used to the new icon. So now when I cannot spot the orangey icon in the Taskbar, there is always an extra split second before I can click on the proper xplorer² tab (bronze icon).

Is this just me, or has anyone experienced this?

Cheers,
Robert
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

I experience it too but can't reproduce it clearly.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

I think I expressed myself badly. I meant to say that it takes me a mental extra split second to spot the actual xplorer² icon in the Windows Taskbar after it has changed from orangey to bronze.  :?
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

For me, it is different: I have the old x² icon back in the "superbar" although the cache was cleared and everything even rebooted.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

Do you have a single or several instances of xplorer² running?
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Single, but when it's running, the old icon is gone.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de