$49.95 Upgrade from Pro Life Time to Ult Life Time

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

RightPaddock wrote:Its just the kernel of an alternative approach to pricing and a means by which nikos might bring this licensing issue to a close and recover some of his lost credibility.
Losing credibility is giving up to 3-4 constantly whining customers (I'm not giving any names and I'm not saying it's not their right to speak about whatever they please). Surely Nikos sold more than 4 licenses, no? I have no credibility concerns regarding Nikos, so we can safely assume that those customers aren't voicing for everyone else, nor are they untangling a grand plot for everybody to understand.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

as I grow tired of arguing with people that according to my viewpoint have no point, here's what I can do:

all of you that feel "cheated" write to me (email) to ask for a refund for your lifetime cover. Note that if you already used your lifetime upgrade cover to get v2 for free then this offer will not apply

hth
nikos
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

IneedHelp wrote:
RightPaddock wrote:Its just the kernel of an alternative approach to pricing and a means by which nikos might bring this licensing issue to a close and recover some of his lost credibility.
Losing credibility is giving up to 3-4 constantly whining customers (I'm not giving any names and I'm not saying it's not their right to speak about whatever they please).
I stand ready to corrected with facts, my comment was based on perceptions  

I agree that its 3 or 4 whingers at any given point in time, however I'm not sure its the same whingers at different points in time.  I don't come here often, but over the past couple of years whenever I have, "pricing complaints" have been at or close to the top of the list in the X2 Pro Forum.

I don't have a lifetime warranty issue because I didn't buy one, I used an obscure path through the website to the "here's where you pay page" and then I selected the Paypal button so I never saw the offer - san fairy ann, I probably wouldn't have bought it anyway.

As I've said somewhere, the continual griping and nikos' inability to make a concise and consistent commercial case for his actions disinclines me to be charitable towards him; and his false assertions about my position on matters where I am not in jackboot lock step with his opinions also doesn't assist his cause.

Many of the complaints over the past couple of years have been about what "lifetime" means.  One part of my suggestion was to replace lifetime warranty with extended warranty for an annual fee.  Then there can be no doubt, whilst ever one pays extended warranty fees one would get upgrades at no additional cost.  I'd be much more inclined to buy into that offer than the 'nebulous' concept of lifetime warranties - the latter is the sort of terminology from which lawyers earn fat fees.
nikos wrote:as I grow tired of arguing with people that according to my viewpoint have no point, here's what I can do:

all of you that feel "cheated" write to me (email) to ask for a refund for your lifetime cover. Note that if you already used your lifetime upgrade cover to get v2 for free then this offer will not apply
I can well imagine that you are fed up with the whinging, my earlier post was intended to offer some ideas to bring the issues to an end.  

In particular I hope you'll consider replacing the one off 'lifetime warranty" charge with an annual extended warranty charge,  that would put an end to the tiresome arguments about whose or what's "lifetime".  Why not run a poll - I may be the only person who would even consider an annual warranty

RP
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21
maxand

Post by maxand »

I wasn't going to buy into this thread, but after managing to stay awake through five pages of assorted whinging and whining, I'd like to add my 2 cents worth:

1) Note that Nikos, despite being very busy, is still prepared to reply personally to criticism here in the forum and even to invite those who feel financially disadvantaged to email him to discuss a solution. You should all consider this a privilege and not a right. I have been on many product forums where discussion with the actual developer(s) is well-nigh impossible, where the developers farm out forum complaints to be dealt with by middle level henchmen, so forum users are treated like mushrooms.

2) X2 remains IMO an incredibly well-featured and inexpensive product for what it achieves, compared with expensive bloatware such as Directory Hopeless (which I used until changing to x2). At its current price, how can you complain about what you're getting?

3) My bottom line is not whether an app has all the bells and whistles I will ever need, but whether I can make it do what I need it to do, right now, even if it means tweaking it a bit. No developer should be worrying about meeting all his customers' needs, only about providing the means for customers to build their own solutions if necessary. Okay, I use MenuHack and AutoHotkey to fill the gaps, but x2 has so many features already built in that these gaps are few.

I am so pleased with what x2 can do for me right now that I may well be using the same version in 5 years, upgrades or no upgrades.

Remember, no app lasts for ever. IMO the average lifetime is about 10 years, killed off by becoming too bloated from feature requests or limitations of the original design. Be thankful for what YOU can make x2 do for YOU right now and hope that it will remain as slim and efficient as it is today.

If I had to suggest a marketing model, I would go for a five-year unlimited upgrade contract.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

maxand wrote:...where the developers farm out forum complaints to be dealt with by middle level henchmen, so forum users are treated like mushrooms.
Huzzah!  Huzzah!

Speaking as a volunteer middle-level henchman, I endorse this opinion, if for no other reason than to keep the mushrooms entertained. :D  (One could almost stretch the metaphor to suggest that Happy Mushrooms make for a Happy Developer - as long as no blood tests are required.)
maxand

Post by maxand »

LMAO!  :D