Ctrl-K is not the same as going to the directory?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ctrl-K is not the same as going to the directory?

Post by WimdeLange »

Using the latest xplorer I have strange behaviour on the Ctrl-K, this is on Windows 7 Professional 64 bits.

I use the Ctrl-K (C:\Users\Wila\Documents) go up the directory with backspace and to my surprise the subdirectory Downloads is missing and there is more missing, like Desktop. But if I go to C: and traverse the directory structure, the missing directories are there.

What is happening?

While I'm typing this, I also see the files NTUSER.DAT and ntuser.dat.log1 jumping in and out the directory c:\users\wila. Do a Ctrl-R and the files vanishes and they come back after some (10 or more) seconds.

This behaviour was not there in the previous (less then 2) release. After a download, I was used to the Ctrl-K, Backspace, DOW combination to go the download directory. But that now fails.
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

my documents is a special folder like the desktop, so you see slightly varying versions of it depending on how you get into it. There's the physical filesystem folder, and the virtual one right under the desktop

as for the disappearing NTUSER.DAT i have also seen it from time to time and cannot explain it. It isn;t new behaviour though
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

nikos wrote:my documents is a special folder like the desktop, so you see slightly varying versions of it depending on how you get into it. There's the physical filesystem folder, and the virtual one right under the desktop
Something to take into account then, but it is very surprising. Is it an option to change xplorer2 in such a way that it consisent? If it show C:\Users\Wila that is the physical directory even if you entered using the Documents folder? I'm not sure how how to proceed on this.
nikos wrote:as for the disappearing NTUSER.DAT i have also seen it from time to time and cannot explain it. It isn;t new behaviour though
Could be that Windows is rewriting the registry or something like that and due to that it is not really visible. But I'm not often in that directory and Windows is working, so who cares  :D
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you want to switch from the virtual to the real folder, press Ctrl+K, then get into the addressbar and press ENTER. Alternatively set a bookmark to the real my documents folder and use that to access it instead of Ctrl+K

or use the breadcrumb bar to access the parent of my documents (C:\Users\you) where all the other system folders are located
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

Very useful suggestions. I should have think of them. I like xplorer2 (are you  or xplorerer/zabkat on facebook where I can like you?)
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

WimdeLange wrote:I like xplorer2 (are you  or xplorerer/zabkat on facebook where I can like you?)
No matter how many times I read that, it still just sounds wrong.  Never mind about the whole social-networking thing being just weird, it's how things are phrased that cause trouble.  Like every Vietnamese girl in every Vietnam film ever made: "I love you long time, yeah Joe?  I love you long time!"

Either that, or where I come from they'd just say "Get a room, lads." :shrug:

The main x2 website has all those strange links at the bottom - I assume they actually lead somewhere - I've never known anyone to use such things, but hey...

On Topic: I've always used the bookmark approach - it's reliable, predictable, and (compared to the above) a comforting throwback to a more innocent time. :wink:
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

It was more a pun to start liking on Facebook. But again, I use Facebook more and more lately..... Sigh, never expected that.

The shortcut to the download directory has now been created and added a shortcut key too for very fast access.
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there's a facebook like and other similar buttons at the bottom of the main page, anyone with facebook and what have you, can click on the LIKE buttons, ta!

www.zabkat.com