How to copy to new file in same directory?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

zoj

How to copy to new file in same directory?

Post by zoj »

New user here.

I'd like to do a copy to a new file in same directory.

Something like: select file, hit F-key, enter/edit new filename.

I've tried select file, F5, enter new filename in "Here" but I get "Target folder is invalid."  

Any tips appreciated.
Last edited by zoj on 2012 May 15, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

If I understand correctly, try Edit -> Duplicate after selecting the desired file(s) to create copies in the current folder.  You will need to manually rename them yourself (if desired) in a second step (using <F2> or right-clicking, etc) as the new names will by default have the text " - Copy" appended in their basenames.
zoj

Post by zoj »

That's it!

I've assigned it to Ctrl-Alt-F5 and I'm all set.

Many thanks!
Ampa

Post by Ampa »

Or...

Select file(s)
Ctrl + C (Copy)
Ctrl + V (Paste)
F2 to rename

All standard windows key-presses.
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

Ampa wrote:Or...

Select file(s)
Ctrl + C (Copy)
Ctrl + V (Paste)
F2 to rename

All standard windows key-presses.
Does not work in x2, hence the "Duplicate" command
Vas
zoj

Post by zoj »

I was using Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V. It does the copy & paste and leaves the source file selected so the new "- Copy" file must be manually selected and then F2 renamed.

Edit-Duplicate does the copy and leaves the new file selected so F2 can be applied right away -- much faster than Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Ampa

Post by Ampa »

vserghi wrote: Does not work in x2, hence the "Duplicate" command
Erm... Yes it does.  :?

@Zoj - Fair point - Duplicate saves you a bit of clicking :)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

vserghi wrote:Does not work in x2, hence the "Duplicate" command
Ampa wrote:Erm... Yes it does.
You are both right in the sense that if you are using x2 Lite (which has no Robust Copy feature) or have disabled Robust Copy in the Settings Editor when using the Pro version, x2 will use the default Windows explorer routines, which do indeed allow for <Ctrl>-C & <Ctrl>-V.

However, if you are utilising Robust Copy such shortcuts will not work (Robust means a guaranteed precise copy, name and all, of the filedata which [like atomic structures in physics] obviously cannot occupy the same space at the same time) thus, as vserghi said, the command is rejected.

Schrödinger's Cat had nothing on x2. :wink:

In future, if you are using the Lite version, please post on the appropriate board so as to avoid this sort of common confusion of mere nuclear physics with the more proper quantum state of existence, where bad things happen to good people just so the universe can express its laughing indifference to silly human values. :roll:
zoj

Post by zoj »

Tricky follow up question --

Can this be modified to do a copy in the same directory and overwrite an existing file?

Example:

I have file "x.x" and wish to copy it over existing file "z.z." in the same directory.

So I do Edit-Duplicate on "x.x" then F2 the new file and enter "z.z".

X2 asks me if I'd like to rename it to "z (2).z".

If I answer "No" then I remain in the F2 renaming box.

No biggie if it can't be done.

Thanks, again.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

zoj wrote:Can this be modified to do a copy in the same directory and overwrite an existing file?
The warning (and forceful enumeration) of the numerical '(2)' exists precisely to avoid such accidental overwriting.  You could always write a simple script (in VBS or whatever you like) to delete the clashing file first, but that's at your own risk - so no, x2 cannot be configured to forcefully replace files merely upon renaming.  That could lead to the inevitable chaotic breakdown of public services and the complete dissolution of western civilisation as we've come to know it... and then where would we get our morning coffee from?  I shudder to imagine.