ultimate version 2108 beta

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

longfellow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by longfellow »

nikos wrote:you will see a big improvement in speed if you are searching for text in files, especially in large search areas (hierarchies).
Okay, searched for text in files in some very large folders, and it is as you say. :)
nikos wrote:The more organized you are, the less the benefit :)
Har!  :lol:
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

Sorry for the late reaction, busy busy busy and vacation. I like beta's, but I use the 64 bit version. I hate switching back to 32 bit because I'm not sure if that works well with all configured stuff.

But hey, I'll try and report on my findings.
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ckit »

I'm WimdeLange, 64-bit all the way!
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

ckit wrote:I'm WimdeLange, 64-bit all the way!
But I installed the 32 bit guy. I see no difference, but maybe the indexing is not correctly defined. I'll experiment.

The text that says "Not found what you are looking for" is hard to read for me, there is a white line through the characters.
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

yeah, that footer in the listview control is undocumented and half finished by microsoft... but I couldn;t think of a cleaner way to implement this 2-stage search. That's how windows explorer does it too
Brig
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Brig »

Kilmatead wrote:You may install them wherever you wish (common practice would be to backup the appropriate ZabaraKatranemia Plc reg key, just in case, as the betas will use your current settings and modify them if necessary). . . .

Uninstalling the beta is harmless enough, though remember that the option to remove the settings will remove the normal registry key itself, so either use the created backup, or just don't delete it and your settings from the beta will transfer over to the final intact.
Thanks Kilmatead. Good advice.

I have to say that, on reflection, the new super-fast search isn't that important to me. I use x2's searching capability quite often, but I do it on network drives. And it's plenty fast.

Like Thracx, I keep my local drive reasonably tidy. When I have to find some misplaced file, I use a program called Everything (forgive me for going outside the family). It's super fast and super easy.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Brig wrote:I use a program called Everything (forgive me for going outside the family). It's super fast and super easy.
You see, I rather wish you hadn't said that - now Nikos is going to think you're an alter-ego of mine.  I said precisely the same thing to him a few months back when he first mooted the idea of integrating WDS, and he just gave a great harumph, twirled the ends of his moustache (surely a sign of true evil) and said, "Yes, but that's limited to file-names only - it doesn't do anything else."

"True," I agreed, "but I imagine that if there were metrics available on what people predominantly searched for, they would show it to be filenames - not all that fancy stuff that is nice to have when you need it, but tends to get really annoying when all you want is chocolate_muffin.file and you wanted it five minutes ago."

"We'll see, " said he enigmatically, still twirling with his greasy fingers, "we'll see."

:shrug:

The Everything Engine is also nice in that it doesn't use Window's indexing, so that can be disabled and (no pun intended) everything is still available.  A slight limitation being x86-only, and it's not exactly supported anymore, but for simple jobs it just does what it says on the tin without the fuss of waiting... waiting... waiting... oh wait... nope, still waiting...

Amusingly, I would be remiss if I did not save Nikos the trouble of mentioning that if you want x2/WDS searches to be much faster (but limited to filenames-only), you can play with the registry value:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc\xplorer2_UC\szFastSearchProps

and set it to "system.filename" (or, indeed, any of the other system.* properties).

There are so many drawbacks to doing this, I can't possibly recommend it to people, but it's there for those of us who like to mess with things those big screws with weird screwdriver-heads in the dashboard were meant to keep us away from. :D  (Not the least limitation is that it only matches whole-names, or right-side-only completion, and it can't actually match loose text within a filename which makes it somewhat useless, but it's there for the loveless and forlorn to experiment with - and it does speed things up surprisingly.)
Brig
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Brig »

Kilmatead wrote:. . . now Nikos is going to think you're an alter-ego of mine.
:) I suppose there's no way to prove here that I have independent existence and am not a projection of Kilmatead's imagination. Of course, if I keep writing like this and derail this thread even more, some will get suspicious.
Kilmatead wrote:. . . I imagine that if there were metrics available on what people predominantly searched for, they would show it to be filenames. . . .
I think you're probably right. But as I said, I use x2 to search large network folders all the time, and I use some of that fancy stuff that's nice to have. Works just fine.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Brig wrote:But as I said, I use x2 to search large network folders all the time, and I use some of that fancy stuff that's nice to have. Works just fine.
Oh indubitably - I was never going to suggest that something like the Everything Engine could ever replace Rubust Search - but I also suspect many users are like ourselves, splitting the search muscle over numerous utilities, depending on the purpose at hand.  Whether or not WDS can stop me from using Everything is the point I was making - and I will give WDS an honest try for awhile - but (in my opinion) Windows' Indexing is more of a pain than a benefit, for those who appreciate a streamlined OS installation like they do a fine wine or lithe female form.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I just don't search enough to justify running the indexing service... and when I do search I do not want the search to depend on an index... so Windows search integration is not terribly interesting to me.

I did install the beta and I like that it does not show icons in the drive bar for empty memory card drives.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

@Brig
:) I suppose there's no way to prove here that I have independent existence and am not a projection of Kilmatead's imagination. Of course, if I keep writing like this and derail this thread even more, some will get suspicious.
That's a relief- I was thinking ~K's idle brain had gone multithreaded   :shock:

The problem is his garbage collector does not work.  :twisted:
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

narayan wrote:That's a relief- I was thinking ~K's idle brain had gone multithreaded   :shock:

The problem is his garbage collector does not work.  :twisted:
My laugh of the day, thanks :P  :P  :P . Still smiling :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :P
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
Thracx
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Thracx »

WimdeLange wrote:
narayan wrote:...The problem is his garbage collector does not work...
My laugh of the day, thanks...
I concur with WimdeLange...
-Thracx

"Man wants to know, and when he ceases to do so, he is no longer a man."
-Fridtjof Nansen
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Amazing - I can derail a thread without saying a word... my mere (unproven) existence is all that's needed, and others will do it in my name. :wink:

How's that for pretentiousness? :D