Warning about secondary streams

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

CrossX
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Warning about secondary streams

Post by CrossX »

Is there a way (some preference settings) so that this kind of message will no more appear while making a Robust transfer/copy?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

In a few words I would like to say a "perpetual" YES to all matters regarding "secondary streams that cannot be transferred :roll:

PS
What is its practical meaning?
Why should I be worried about "secondary streams" not transferring?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tools -> Advanced Options -> (Global Tab) Disable Stream Loss Warning

These secondary streams contain (as your message shows) information such as Comment Text (from <Alt+Z> usage), etc, which are attached to the file and which are not supported by the disc format you're trying to transfer to (such as non-NTFS drives).  This attached information will then be lost (but the file-data itself remains intact, and, of course, the original file will still hold the streams).

See Actions -> ADS -> View Streams (with a file selected) to view what data may be contained in these streams (if any).  (ADS is short for Alternate Data Streams.)

CrossX
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrossX »

Thanks  :wink:

*EDIT*
If I may give a suggestion: maybe it is better to leave this "warning" as something that only pops-up but doesn't stop the copy operations. That is what is disturbing me.

I can understand that "the blocking" has a good reason for "move" operations, where I cannot get back missing ADS.
But I don't see a valid one during copy operations, where some message and no "block" could be sufficient.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I think you have a good point.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Repeating the pet peeve: Even if I select "ignore", x2 does not move such items (it only copies them).

Finding these "failed" items (to delete them in a separate operation) is a tedious and error-prone job.

Desired: Once we confirm that we don't care about the secondary stream, it ought to respect that and just forget about them.