Simple rename

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Disc Golfer

Simple rename

Post by Disc Golfer »

I tried xplorer2, xyplorer and directory opus and bought xplorer2. One feature I like with directory opus is a simpler file renamer with a one click change case etc.... I especially like changing underscores to spaces option. Is there this feature in xplorer2?

BTW one of the deciding feature for this program is the double click to move up a level... love it.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Hi Disc Golfer,

Welcome to the forum!

x2 is full of features, many of which may be hidden to you unless you read the User Manual (press F1 in x2).

You can also integrate a powerful mass renamer called ReNamer.
Refer to chapter 8 of the User Manual for details.

In short,
1. Install ReNamer in a folder of your choice.
  Let us assume it is C:\Program Files\Util\ReNamer Beta\ReNamer.exe
  (Notice that the folder name has a space in it.
    I will describe below how to handle such spaces.)

2. In x2, use the menu- Customize>User Commands>Add new...

3. In the window that pops up, enter the following:
   Name: ReNamer (or anything you like)
   Description: >"C:\Program Files\Util\ReNamerBeta\ReNamer.exe" $A

The > is literal (enter it as shown).
   The path is enclosed in double-quotes " " to handle the spaces.
   (without the double-quotes, it won't work.)

4. Press OK to save.

5. Now select the menu- Customize>User Commands>Organize....
  In the window that pops up, double-click on the ReNamer entry.
  Another window pops up.
  Here, select any shortcut to launch ReNamer from x2.
  You can also select a custom icon.

Press Ok to save.

6. Now select any files from a folder pane (or scrap pane) and press your shortcut. All selected files are loaded in ReNamer.

To know more about ReNamer, read its wiki
http://www.den4b.com/wiki/ReNamer

Keep in mind that ReNamer's wiki is always updated to keep in tune with its latest beta, which has many more features than the stable release.

HTH.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I imagine this tool can do a 'search and replace' in filenames? Like replace all underscores with spaces? Or shall I add this in a future xplorer2?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:Or shall I add this in a future xplorer2?
Wait - you're actually offering to add a feature?  Are you feeling all-right?  You haven't been feeling faint or anything?  Low blood-sugar?  Hallucinations?  Fell down the stairs and hit your head on Vanessa's plastic toy butterflies?

To answer your question, ReNamer can do anything and everything, including finding the soap that's always being dropped in the bath.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

some of these tools require a degree in astrophysics... but if there's something easy to understand and add, why not add it in xplorer2?
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

built-in search and replace rename would be nice to have
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

I too am speechless.
A more plausible cause is one of those buxom ladies on swings hit Nikos.

Just in case this phase is going to last, yes, I'd very much like "find-and-replace" to be there in x2.

Also RegEx (now that CTRL+F can use RegEx in names, why not?)
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

:shock:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ah yes, this 'search and replace' could be covered under regexp rename, which is already part of the GUI but disabled. Didn't quite get my head round it yet!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

assuming I was to activate the missing regexp button:

shall the "what to match" regexp match the whole filename (including extension?). What if by some mistake the expression doesn't match one or more files selected? THere are many possibilities for error
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Well, the regex user is supposed to know what he is up to.

Show all results in the preview, so that the user is not forced to see only the first two samples and decide. With regex, you never know- some of the results may not be as expected!

This is particularly important because some people are used to other flavor of regex (e.g. Perl). Even Windows RegEx engines differ in rules.

If there is a long list of long filenames, this window will have to display before-after names. To accommodate this display without line-folding, provide "Maximize screen" facility to this dialog window.

BTW the replacement part has to have the backreference tokens. No fun without it.

And if your ears are still buzzing, how about adding-
Phonetic search (Bitap and Needleman-Wunch algorithms)?

I suggested that earlier, along with fuzzy search. This bit is still pending.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Before you get carried away with Needleman-Schpeedleman Wunch-Munchies, am I the only one to notice that:

A) Narayan is basically asking Nikos to re-write ReNamer, which seems counterproductive, unintuitive, and unnecessary (?)

and...

B) Nikos has forgotten what he said above about avoiding the idea that "some of these tools require a degree in astrophysics..."

:?:

You started out talking about simply replacing underscores with spaces (something, I might add, that ReNamer has a specific 1-click tool for), and in a hop skip and a jump you started waffling about Reg-Ex and fuzzy navel-gazing.

God forbid that I (of all people) would have the temerity to remind someone of where the topic started, but... well... you know... rewriting the Mass-Rename function has been raised many times in the past, and 95% of the time it's been decided (including by Nikos himself) that allowing dedicated utilities to handle that weight was a better idea (primarily because that's what dedicated actually implies...)
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

You had to spoil it, didn't you? Now we are back to workarounds!  :twisted:
Disc Golfer

Post by Disc Golfer »

thanks narayan for the quick reply. I downloaded, installed and added the shortcut. It's powerful and works like a lot of the 3rd party renamer programs.

I was hoping for something built in and very easy like the directory opus one. I began my search for an explorer replacement to make my life easier and have less 3rd party programs for file management.

anyway I'm still happy with my choice of X2 but would be thrilled if a easy built in basic renamer was added to X2
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

BASIC renaming, you say?

That's already there, isn't it?
Select multiple files, press F2 and use tokens. (Ref: p162 of UM)