copy and move to other pane in one step?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

the mechanic

copy and move to other pane in one step?

Post by the mechanic »

With other dual pane file managers that I have used there is the ability to copy or move files from one pane to the other with just a single keystroke.  With xplorer2 I can hit f5 but then I have to select "other folder" and click OK.

I tried writing a user command to copy/move to the other pane but that really sucks since there is no progress dialog and no notification if the file will overwrite another.  

Is there a way to script xplorer2 to just copy/move to the other folder without the extra steps?
mechanic
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Try <Ctrl+F5>.  This hotkey may be modified using Customise -> Keyboard if desired, or you may create a toolbar button via a user command using MenuHack with the code:

> "MenuHack.exe" 32793 CTRL
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

mechanic,

Unless you have changed the default settings, F5 (F6) [followed by ENTER] should Copy (Move) the selected item(s) to the opposite pane, unless you specify another destination in the dialog box before you hit ENTER.
And, as Kilmatead indicates, adding the <ctrl> modifier should execute the transfer without ENTER.
the mechanic

Post by the mechanic »

fgagnon wrote:mechanic,

Unless you have changed the default settings, F5 (F6) [followed by ENTER] should Copy (Move) the selected item(s) to the opposite pane, unless you specify another destination in the dialog box before you hit ENTER.
And, as Kilmatead indicates, adding the <ctrl> modifier should execute the transfer without ENTER.
Now that I know the <ctrl> will just transfer the file that should be enough.  However, reading between the lines; does it not always copy to the other pane, rather it copies the file to the last selected destination?  Where is this behavior documented?  I have been a user of xplorer for *years*, I have read the manual and configured lots of the features.  However, there are still things like this (and the filter in an earlier thread) that seem to elude me.

One last question, is there a way to create a button on the tool bar to just copy to the other pane?  In effect, execute a <ctrl> F5?  
-mechanic
mechanic
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

To be honest, as far as I know, <Ctrl+F5> uses whatever copy-settings were set within the options available within the <F5> dialog.  I am unsure if this is actually documented anywhere other than empirical evidence. :shrug:
the mechanic wrote:...is there a way to create a button on the tool bar to just copy to the other pane?
Read the last part of my post above, as I answered this pre-emptively.
the mechanic

Post by the mechanic »

Kilmatead wrote: Read the last part of my post above, as I answered this pre-emptively.
And you did, sorry.  I read that and it never even clicked.  :-/  I assume MenuHack is a AutoIt script as well?

BTW, thanks for all your help.  :-)
-mechanic
mechanic