Ultimate version?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

victor50

Post by victor50 »

I seem to remember the opposite of the fake statement: It was suggested that Ultimate would differ only in portability to Pro http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?t=93 ... ofessional and enhancements would be for both. This now is obviously not the case anymore. So why is the enhanced searching not included in pro?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

as I said in the beginning v2.2 was just to put a little difference between the two editions. Windows desktop search is part of well, windows, and as such it isn't anything new added. The ultimate version is all about top of the range but not essential features
luma

Post by luma »

So, since you've introduced ultimate, what features have been added to pro?  Why did I buy this lifetime license, when all you've done is release another version to add features to?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you can examine the changelog from help menu, not as many things added for v2.2 but plenty to come in the future
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

The change log is misleading though. It does not make clear if the [P] changes are also in the Ultimate version.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i thought it would be obvious but ultimate contains all [P] too, as well as all additions for the lite version ;)
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

You should maybe rephrase it.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
lin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by lin »

Got a mail today pointing me at the profesional update, so i looked at the change log and noticed the search improvement:"Fast search menu will do a simple desktop search under the current folder. Instead of defining complex search rules,"
After installing the update i found out this "fast search" search is not working.
Reading the readme again i find out this search improvement is only for the ultimate version!
I feel pi**ed off! i paid for a " professional file manager" , one of the feautures missing is a fast ,"simple desktop search under the current folder"i have been using a third party search for a simple file search, it looks i will have to continue to do this.
If you want to earn more money with a "ultimate"version , fine with me ,but not to the detriment of the professional version.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

press the START button and enter your search keyword. That's what the fast find command does, only from inside xplorer2
lin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by lin »

nikos wrote:press the START button and enter your search keyword. That's what the fast find command does, only from inside xplorer2
Yo mean to say that i can do a filesearch in windows explorer?
i know i can.
if this would be the preferred way to search , why is this "fast search"now implemented in "ultimate"?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

what i'm saying is that either way you do it, it is the same engine and same search results
lin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by lin »

nikos wrote:what i'm saying is that either way you do it, it is the same engine and same search results
what i'm saying is: if this is an enhancement it should have been included in  professional.
rdit

Xplorer2 Pro / Ultimate Upgrade

Post by rdit »

I have a question (& lots of comments) about the xplorer2 Pro/Ultimate upgrade. You can save yourself some bother & skip the following nonsense & go directly to the 3rd from last paragraph.... ... ...  If you didn't, I 1st want to address some of the complaints placing Nicos on par with the Anti-Christ because he wants a little bit of money for his work:

I've been a very satisfied long-time user of xplorer2; This software has consistently been for me a workhorse of power & efficiency over the years. I can not tell you how many times I have been confronted with a disparate variety of burdensome problems that xplorer2 made manageable. Allow me to have a grandfather moment: how I remember nostalgically the nostalgic good-old days, long ago, when a good portion of my own coding was motivated by the notion that it made a lot more sense to have a computer automate repetitive, cumbersome tasks, than have humans suffer through that aspect of a project. These days, the motivation seems instead to be all about what we can do with the next generation of shiny, touchscreen interfaces. Don't get me wrong: Sometimes it is a wondrous thing (GPS, media player, video camera, travel guide, language translator, news aggregator & much, much more **IN MY PHONE** -- Holy Freakin Crap!). But quite often this comes at the expense of ignoring productive solutions to the types of problems we used to quite effectively throw much less sophisticated computers at.

All this to say I have much respect for xplorer2, & I am not whining (per se) about the cost of the product.I think it is a bargain for the price. I am, however, whining a little bit about Pro users with a lifetime assurance & portable app bundle not being offered a well thought out upgrade path.

A bit over a year ago, I upgraded to Pro V2 (very reasonable at 29.95). I bought (for the 2nd time) the "personalized portable edition" (9.95). (This was not about working on friends' machines, where, as one poster put it, he could simply install xplorer lite, but rather it is a solution to using xplorer2 on machines where I didn't have Admin/install privilege. The only 2 options were portable xplorer2 or Win file Explorer). On top of that, I purchased the "Lifetime Assurance" bundle for an additional 29.95 (after $10 discount).

So now I see that the stand-alone portable has merged into the Utimate package. I don't really care about fast, integrated searching,as I have the Windows Search indexer turned off (I use a small-footprint 3rd party app). However, the Pro->Ultimate upgrade path **is** attractive at only $20 (not nothing, in light of shelling out $70 a year ago, but still quite reasonable). So I would be totally down with that up(grade), if that were all there was to it.

The one thing stopping me from the upgrade is that I would be throwing away my Pro "Lifetime Assurance" & then would have to spend another $59.95 for the same lifetime upgrade plan for Ultimate. The lifetime of that Pro Lifetime Plan will not have been very lifetime if I go for the upgrade.

So asked quite simply: Is there also an upgrade price for trading in a young Pro lifetime upgrade plan for a new Ultimate lifetime upgrade plan? I presumptuously would suggest $20, the difference in cost between the 2 plans. (This would be in addition to the $20 dollars for the actual software upgrade.)

I also have questions about whether Ultimate would make sense for my situation, but as I have been rambling on interminably, I'll limit myself to the upgrade of the upgrade plan question, for now.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

please send me an email. You can also get a discount for your unused portable builds when you upgrade to ultimate
Caveatrob

Tiered liftetime upgrades?

Post by Caveatrob »

A lot of products clearly separate "lifetime upgrades" to mean the lifetime of a particular major product version.

So - if you bought xPLorer2 2.0 + upgrades you'd get them until 3.0 came out.

Or just stop saying "lifetime," because that seems counterproductive to Nikos to making a continuing living and it also gets people bent out of shape when the term gets specific.

Honestly the Ultimate begin distinguished by Windows Search kind of fell flat for me, because I don't use it, and I don't know that many people do. I'd rather have seen some more enhancements or additions rather than a search feature dependent on another engine that we may or may not use (the indexing slows the hell out of my computer).

Now, I would pay a premium for a couple of extra features. Like the Move dialog autocompletiung relative paths or folders within the current folder without having to type the entire path. This alone would be worth my upgrade, because it's the single biggest hassle I have with the product.

I use PostMessage and SendMessage to deal with the other ones!