Associating files

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

rusty

Associating files

Post by rusty »

Not sure if it's already builtin, but I would like to see some feature to associating programs to fiiletypes.
I'm always using Ultimate xplorer2 on business clients where I do not always have the opportunity to assign programs to specific fiel extensions. However, when I have the Ultimate version of xplorer2, in portable mode, with all other portable applications available, I would rather set the file association in xplorer2 once, so I can enjoy this everywhere I use xplorer2
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you are working on other people's computers then you don't really controlled the installed programs either. YOu can always press F4 to open files in the embedded editor, if they are text. If you have other tools in your USB stick then you can use the X2DIR environmental variable to setup user commands to use in place of associations as explained here
www.zabkat.com/blog/18Jul10-portable-associations.htm
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

I was trying to remember some program that does temporary file associations and googled. I didn't find the one I was looking for but that

http://www.howtogeek.com/102594/portabl ... able-apps/

Maybe that's useful for you
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

All things considered, while the User-Command/%X2DIR% approach will work, it's more of a work-around than anything else - and (were Nikos to pull his finger out) completely unnecessary.

Since x2 already has a store of file-types which (to be honest) doesn't actually do anything as far as I can discern anyway, and even Vanessa could write a simple loop (at its most basic) to match a given user-command to a given array when a file is clicked upon, it strikes me that this would make a perfect addition to the Ultimate version.

There's no need to care about icons or any of that rubbish, any extensions which aren't found in the FileType arrays would just be passed on to the shell as usual, and Bob's your uncle.  Any referenced programmes the user will access in the portable nest (I hate the word "suite") wouldn't by definition have any active shell-extensions anyway, so none of that stuff applies.  Essentially one just completely ignores whatever screwed-up associations the host-computer has in the first place (and let's face it, the first thing to break in Windows are associations anyway).

And it would solve the problem of trying to add 20 different "generic" user-commands on a toolbar and cluttering up one's bespoke variants that deserve pride of place.

Nikos, as you're rubber-necking around for flotsam and jetsam to stick in Ultimate anyway, this kind of thing is exactly what a portable file manager is all about - a toolbar-button for each stupid extension-set is just so 1980's.
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

This was what I was looking for initially

http://portableapps.com/node/27101