Xplorer2 2.2 fails to detect network drive mappings

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

scio

Xplorer2 2.2 fails to detect network drive mappings

Post by scio »

With Windows 8, I fail to see network drive mappings in both the tree, as well as My Computer.  I tried reinstalling 1.8, and I can see all mapped network drives.  

The file shares are supplied through my linux server.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

are you running xplorer2 as forced administrator? Try running it normally
scio

Post by scio »

nikos wrote:are you running xplorer2 as forced administrator? Try running it normally
That was exactly what it was, so no possible way to run as admin?  Thanks for the quick response!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I don't know what to say, probably if you try to run windows explorer as admin you would have the same problem. See here for UAC survival tips
www.zabkat.com/blog/14Feb10-surviving-UAC.htm
scio

Post by scio »

I have tried looking at xplorer2 recently and the lag I get in certain folders on Windows 8 with 2.2.0.2.  Even running under UAC and not as admin, the first time I open xplorer2, the first time I browse to my desktop, I get a ~45 second freeze in xplorer2 where the entire UI is unresponsive and goes grey.  Once the desktop folder is loaded, I can browse to any other location and back and don't have an issue.  I get this issue also if I have a network location mapped in "My Computer" which currently isn't accessible.

Windows explorer does not show this issue at all, so typically while I am waiting for xplorer2 to respond, I end up doing the action in explorer.  Have I set up something incorrectly?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the newer (beta) v2.3 will be better at that but your comparison to windows explorer is unfair. Explorer is always running as your desktop. If you start xplorer2 and leave it running then you will see this delay only once. So your solution is to keep xplorer2 running all the time
scio

Post by scio »

I want to apologize for the comparison, obviously I appreciate the benefits of xplorer2 and was just getting frustrated because I know this is not the typical experience of users with xplorer2.

I looked further with my configs and found that the root cause is tied to two color codings that check for directory size (one checks for directories with "contents value from 0 to 0", and the other checks for folders "size value larger than 500mb").  I think the problem is the check for contents, when I disable it, I do not get an issue when swapping directories.  Is there a way to get color coding for empty directories without getting this performance hit?

Thanks
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the new version 2.3 will help here as it disables getting folder sizes for networks altogether
Thracx
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Thracx »

nikos wrote:the new version 2.3 will help here as it disables getting folder sizes for networks altogether
*praise nikos, praaaaiise *
-Thracx

"Man wants to know, and when he ceases to do so, he is no longer a man."
-Fridtjof Nansen