Xplorer²(v2.1.0.1-1) User Manual, Update coming?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

rnfolsom

Post by rnfolsom »

Apparently the latest Xplorer² User Manual is the Xplorer²(v2.1.0.1-1) User Manual.  Judging by the manual's 2.1.0.1-1 number, that's a bit behind the latest Xplorer² version 2.2.0.2.

Is an Xplorer² v2.2.0.2 User Manual "in the works"?  I'm asking because if I print the Xplorer²(v2.1.0.1-1) User Manual tomorrow, and then the next day I discover that there is a v2.2.0.2 User Manual available, I will be somewhat annoyed with myself.

Alternatively, is there an addendum document somewhere that explains changes in Xplorer² v2.2.0.2 compared to Xplorer² v2.1.0.1-1?

Thanks for any comments, suggestions, or help.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Yes, the next version is due.

That said, the manual is optimized as an e-book: All links are implied (not explicitly spelled out); and there is no index, because it relies on electronic search for any term you want (just press CTRL+F in the pdf reader).

So if you take a print, you will find it difficult to use.
rnfolsom

Post by rnfolsom »

narayan wrote:Yes, the next version is due.

That said, the manual is optimized as an e-book: All links are implied (not explicitly spelled out); and there is no index, because it relies on electronic search for any term you want (just press CTRL+F in the pdf reader).

So if you take a print, you will find it difficult to use.
Understood.  If the "e-book" comes out as a PDF file, I will be delighted.  Meanwhile, I just now did a Google search for "Xplorer² manual," and didn't find any version later than v2.1.0.1-1.  But I can wait a bit for the latest version.

Thanks for your reply.  I'll probably do weekly Google searches for the new version.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

If you click the Help -> What's New? menu entry in x2, you'll see that the actual ergonomic programme changes (those which actually matter to the end-user) are rather minimal from the 2.1.0.1 version, and in and of themselves are fairly self-explanatory.  So it must be remembered that the numerical increment of .1 to .2 is more nikos' way of justifying spending time with his new son, rather than representing his take on actual earth-shattering change in the moral dichotomy of human existence.

So I wouldn't expect the next chapter of War and Peace as the manual update.

Just sayin'. :shrug:
rnfolsom

Post by rnfolsom »

Kilmatead:

Thanks very much for the "Help -> What's New? menu entry in x2" suggestion, and for the warning, which was enjoyable enough for me to invite it to my wife's attention, which I did, and she burst out laughing.

I am about to install v2.2.0.2 on a computer that already has v1.8.1.3 installed.  I assume that before installing v2.2.0.2, I need to uninstall v1.8.13 --- correct?

I asked Nikos that question late last night (California time), and he hasn't answered yet.  Of course I didn't expect him to answer as soon as today, but I now know that he's probably playing with his new son.  Thanks for that information!

R.N. (Roger) Folsom
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Xplorer²(v2.1.0.1-1) User Manual, Update coming?

Post by Kilmatead »

rnfolsom wrote:I assume that before installing v2.2.0.2, I need to uninstall v1.8.13 --- correct?
You seem rather preternaturally perturbed and prehensively pensive about installing this update - it's really not that scary an issue. :D  I answered that one with some mildly excessive humour as well, so - short of you actually causing the world to come to an end (2 weeks late!) when you install it - you should be grand, and will wonder why everyone always makes such a big deal about the size of the needle when in reality it's the hampster-shaped pliers the nurse keeps behind her back that should really make you nervous. :wink:
rnfolsom

Re: Xplorer²(v2.1.0.1-1) User Manual, Update coming?

Post by rnfolsom »

Kilmatead:

This is embarrassing.  After writing my latest message in this thread, I went back to my email inbox, and discovered a message that linked to your other post that very completely answered my "uninstall first"? question.  I should have corrected my message to you in this thread before you had a chance to read it, but it was time for a late breakfast and I was hungry, so I gambled that you wouldn't have answered during my breakfast.

Gambling is risky, and so I generally don't do it.  This episode will definitely reinforce my aversion to gambling (as distinguished from financial investing).

Roger Folsom
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

You see?  People always get hung up on that one little vice that they never actually see the real threat to Western Civilisation until it's consumed the sunlight and extinguished the stars - those late breakfasts will get you every time, especially in California where (as all good stereotypes so accurately portray) you all eat evil-Granola-type rabbit-food and jog three miles before decaffeinated lattes.  This just won't do - especially when it's actually gambling which keeps us alive, what with the odds of aeroplanes falling on our heads, double-decker buses showing a snarling interest in running us over, and that sweet little old lady in the corner-shop?  You ever ask yourself what happened to the "Pop" side of that "Mom & Pop Shop"?  Yeah - that's right - arsenic.  It's just not safe out there for anyone anymore.

So while you choke on your toasted almonds and Napa Valley Spritzers and all that stuff that's nowhere near as real as people pretend it to be, I'll bet on the moneylender's by the temple to out-live me any day.  They just seem to have a knack for it.  And what have I got?  Tobacco stains on me fingers like the stigmata of the poor, half-a-stone heavier after the Christmas "Afters", and the neighbour's cat keep giving me the evil-eye for some reason.

What's a little gambling compared to full-on Armageddon at the hands of mad-kitten?  I'll see your roasted-flakes of honey-goo and raise you one great yummy chocolate cookie that would make the virgins weep for their waistlines.  We'll see which one of us is the better 'better'.  To coin a phrase.  Or to go way off-topic.  Which is worse, God only knows...

:wink: