[Solved] Restoring custom columns with TortoiseSVN 1.7.11

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

wardies

[Solved] Restoring custom columns with TortoiseSVN 1.7.11

Post by wardies »

Since I upgraded TortoiseSVN to the latest version (1.7.11) on both my laptop (Win 7 x64) and desktop (XP x86) I lost my custom SVN columns in xplorer2. (I lost them in XP's Explorer too, which is why it has to be a TortoiseSVN problem).

After a couple of weeks of trying to trying to make do without I finally found this thread which indicates that it's a problem with the TortoiseSVN installer and provides a workaround.

I've copied the text of the workaround below; it worked for me in XP x86 and hopefully the same will fix my Win 7 x64 installation.
If you create this registry key (note: key, not value), it should start working again:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ColumnHandlers\{30351349-7B7D-4FCC-81B4-1E394CA267EB}

I don't know if the change was intentional but when I looked at the installer scripts in svn they still looked like they were supposed to create the key, so maybe something is failing in the installer before that point. (Or maybe I just missed a detail and the new installer is functioning as intended.)

Adding that key by hand made the columns work again for me when testing in Windows 7 x64 (using a file manager that still supports IColumnHandler on Win7, not Windows Explorer).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I wonder if anyone has reported this to the TSVN people. Perhaps they gave up on column handlers?
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

nikos wrote:I wonder if anyone has reported this to the TSVN people. Perhaps they gave up on column handlers?
I suspect Leo Davidson would have (poster of the workaround) - he works for GPS Software - who are the authors/owners of Directory Opus.

rp
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21
Jeroen Walter

Re: [Solved] Restoring custom columns with TortoiseSVN 1.7.1

Post by Jeroen Walter »

If you create this registry key (note: key, not value), it should start working again:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ColumnHandlers\{30351349-7B7D-4FCC-81B4-1E394CA267EB}

I don't know if the change was intentional but when I looked at the installer scripts in svn they still looked like they were supposed to create the key, so maybe something is failing in the installer before that point. (Or maybe I just missed a detail and the new installer is functioning as intended.)

Adding that key by hand made the columns work again for me when testing in Windows 7 x64 (using a file manager that still supports IColumnHandler on Win7, not Windows Explorer).
Thanks!
This worked for me on Windows 7 PRO SP1 64bit.
I created the registry keys, killed the xplorer2 process and started xplorer2. The columns are now available :)
MKairys
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MKairys »

Thanks from me, too! Worked on Windows 8 x86.