Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

Very nice feature(s)!!!

No doubt you'll have a history/auto-complete droplist thingy...
May I suggest having the histories of each tool in the same list.

i.e.
Filtered, Text: blah blah
Filtered, All: blah blah
Selected, All: blah blah

Does that make sense?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

There's a reason pride is considered a sin, my son - there's nothing worse than people who toot their own horns.  Which, as part of a different sin, would be closer to public masturbation than anything else.  There is so much this commercial world has to answer for it's ridiculous. :D

And you might want to create "inactive" icons for the clickable Filter/Hidden status-bar boxes, as right now they are the white ponies behind the white fences in front of the white houses during a snowstorm. :shrug:

Kunk, I don't think your "history" idea is likely (at least not for filtering) - largely as you haven't fully thought through the implications of how quick-filters actually work (i.e., they are "live" [as you type], not triggered [you never hit <Enter>], thus never "complete").  True, the other functions work that way, but I don't suspect selection-"histories" add enough to warrant the added clutter, as selections are really just another name for filters with the extra-bits left in the orange-juice.  (While the filtering itself is an excellent addition, Selections/Search were added more to justify taking up addressbar-space, rather than actually adding content.  Oh, wait, was I not supposed to say that out loud...? :wink:)

However, we would (naturally) expect direct (if not dropdown) access to our predefined (and significantly more complex) "real" search filters, of course.

But definitely some white-pony icons would be welcome, so one knows where to click in the snow for your car-keys.
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

Kilmatead wrote:...Kunk, I don't think your "history" idea is likely (at least not for filtering) - largely as you haven't fully thought through the implications of how quick-filters actually work (i.e., they are "live" [as you type], not triggered [you never hit <Enter>], thus never "complete").
Meh.  I guess you're right.
longfellow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by longfellow »

How does one switch to the filter box using the keyboard?
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

is this cool or what?
www.zabkat.com/blog/wink/quik2.htm
One problem with the find-as-you-type behavior you demonstrate is this:  when I am typing in the explorer (or X2) window, I want the default selection or search behavior as it is now.  For example, if I type "vvv" then I expect to be landing on the thrid item starting with "v" when there are no items starting with"vv" or "vvv".  Listary also implements FAYT on top of explorer and x2 windows, but I had to stop using it because it kept telling me that there is no "vvv" file when I had in fact three files starting with "v".

If a user is typing in the filter box, then the vvv behavior demonstrated is admirable, but if the user is typing on the explorer window, then an option to enable or disable FAYT would be a good thing to have (for me, anyway).  (I expect, though, that many more people would like FAYT always active than not, so I'll not feel slighted if the option I mention does not appear.)

In any case, the new features look interesting and useful.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

longfellow wrote:How does one switch to the filter box using the keyboard?
if you are in filter mode then just start typing and eventually the focus will jump to the filter box. Otherwise press shift+tab to go to the addressbar and then another TAB will get you to the filter box. But if you have shell autocompletion on, this won't work so you need to press Alt+right key

@otlaolap:
the auto-jump doesn't occur till after you typed at least 4 characters in quick succession. This is something adjustable
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

otlaolap wrote:I want the default selection or search behavior as it is now.
As Nikos said, this is adjustable - upon proper release it will be through the Advanced Options editor, but for now you can add nCharsAutoFilter (as a REG_DWORD value) in the "normal" place:

HKCU\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc\xplorer2_UC\

...and give it a value of 0 which disables FAYT unless you're already in the Filterbox, which will allow you to use 'vvv' properly.  Giving it a non-zero value determines when FAYT automatically switches into the filterbox.  Its default value is 4 (so when you hit the 5th character it switches), but if you change this to 1 it will switch on the second character (yes, it's always <n> + 1 unless 0), which will make it behave more like Listary, and thus be much more immediately responsive.

For those who use Listary, just give it a 0 value and carry on as normal.

Adding this value to the registry now will have no effect on the normal x2 settings, so it's fine to use both versions during the alpha/beta dark ages.
longfellow wrote:How does one switch to the filter box using the keyboard?
See above, or live with Nikos' deathly-fiddly solution (until we convince him of the necessity of this). :wink:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

remember an odd question I had the other day? Now you know I lost one evening over shell autocompletion eating the tab key and there's nothing to do other than using alt+->
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

So overcome your unrequited love of the <Tab> key and give it a proper shortcut - much like MS pushing people away from the desktop (and you trying to push windows search down their throats), just admit that they'll never love you back - so it's easier to do it properly without forcing keyboard-callisthenics on your distinctly out-of-shape users as well.

Besides, you want people to try those "other" {superfluous} additions to the filterbar too, don't you?  Make them more accessible to the everyman who cares not one cavalier whit for your lost evenings. :wink: :shrug:
ozzii
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ozzii »

For me:
-A direct shortcut for the new search bar, because shift+tab and after alt+-> is not so quick...
-An icon for empty the search ; because select all and delete is not so handy.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there are so many items in a xplorer2 window, there can't be a unique key to jump to each one of them :shrug:

if you turn off the shell autocompletion (tools > options > advanced) the Tab key will work from the addressbar
ozzii
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ozzii »

maybe you can replace the Alt+H because now we have the search/filter bar ?
Just a suggestion ...
But like I always said ; you're the boss  :wink: