i think

Talk about anything

Moderator: Site Mods

Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: i think

Post by Tuxman »

Maybe we have a different view of wisdom. Instinct and intention helped the humankind rise over many centuries long before we even had things like written language. Knowledge is subjective. According to the general public's definition of knowledge, most dictators were - and are - rather wise men. I'm not quite sure whether I want to become a dictator. They rarely survive their jobs.

Our perspectivelessness is the economy's fault, not ours. (A German Pirate Party member wrote a longish text about "the youth" and its future; maybe you with all your lack of knowledge :biggrin: of Europe's most widely spoken language [German] should probably use Google Translate or whatever your currently preferred crutch is.)

When it comes to religion, probably the Church of Satan is the only sane decision. But hey - people tend to make mistakes here.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

The Google Translate crutch is somewhat broken today... :D
The already betrayed the emblems that you aufklebt me and my peers: Generation internship...
"aufklebt"? Glue together? It would be a very long day if I were to spend it puzzling my way though some diatribe of an unhappy little girl who apparently didn't read the Treaty of Versailles. I already read the Diary of Anne Frank in school, and need not read this pretender. (And young people wonder why no one takes them seriously!)
Tuxman wrote:Maybe we have a different view of wisdom.
This truth is so self-evident it's both inexplicably-wiggly and epoch-definingly giggly at the same time. :wink:
Tuxman wrote:Instinct and intention helped the humankind rise over many centuries long before we even had things like written language.
Humans have been rising, have we? Huh. Cure a little small-pox and they think they're civilised. This truth is not self-evident. "What a piece of work is man..." Face it, culture peaked with Bach's Well Tempered Clavier and no one is likely to better it. For that one thing (or, rather, those 24/48 little things) we'll excuse Germany her hubris for now.
Tuxman wrote:Knowledge is subjective.
Only because it seems convenient for you to see it that way. (And I believe the word you're confusing with "knowledge" is 'information'. This is a common mistake, particularly in this century where one is so lacking and the illusion of the other so prevalent. We can discuss epistemology if you wish, but it won't help if the semantics are under question in the first place. Such a conundrum the Ouroboros himself would ache to regurgitate. :D)
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Kilmatead wrote:"aufklebt"? Glue together?
"<Etwas> aufkleben" = "stick <something> onto <something>". It is mostly done with glue though - still a "sticker" is called "Aufkleber". :biggrin:
Kilmatead wrote:(And young people wonder why no one takes them seriously!)
The "young girl" there (well, a bit younger than I am) is one of the few German pirates who is taken seriously by everyone (well, everyone in the Lower Saxony part of the German Pirate Party). She is just a bit... loud sometimes.
Kilmatead wrote:This truth is so self-evident it's both inexplicably-wiggly and epoch-definingly giggly at the same time. :wink:
So much about the "giggling" again.
Kilmatead wrote:Humans have been rising, have we? Huh. Cure a little small-pox and they think they're civilised.
The reason why our ancients have not eradicated themselves is because they lacked the knowledge how to build atomic bombs.
Kilmatead wrote:I believe the word you're confusing with "knowledge" is 'information'.
You can have knowledge of information as well as you can have information of knowledge. Most young people today have the latter, I claim to have not.

(Surprisingly, were still on-topic as the topic is "i think". Platon, anyone?)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:You can have knowledge of information as well as you can have information of knowledge.
<Sigh> Sophistry illuminates, none too ironically, neither in this context. :cry:
Tuxman wrote:Surprisingly, were still on-topic as the topic is "i think". Plato, anyone?
More Descartes (attributive of phraseology) than Plato, but on that much we can agree indeed. :D Though doubly ironic that the one time we stay on topic is in a section of the forum where we're supposed to go off topic. Methinks Fred is twirling his evil moustache again thinking he finally got us house-trained. :twisted:
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Oh dear; irony is a tool of those who lack the wisdom of using sarcasm, cynicism (and, at times, sardonicism) in their happy pink pony world. The bad thing is that even those who call themselves "ironic" can't clearly make a difference; they tend to pronounce irony so obviously that their irony is ironic. Back in the good old days when people sung their words (Latin, Ancient Greek) instead of babbling them, I could have been so proud of humanity.

Actually this section is currently called "General", as in "Marshall". Evil moustaches might fit though.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

@ ... house trained.

Not a chance. :shrug: ;-)
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Heyo, moustache'd marshall! Nice that you are still around. :)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

It's spooky how you're always looking over the shoulder as expected - which leads me to wonder if your kids ever got away with anything when they were growing up? You know, one of them (inevitably) comes in at 2am smelling of marijuana (whilst thinking in their own mind that an extra puff of body-spray will cover it) - did you just "let it pass" and store that information away to torture them with at their wedding-speeches, just to remind them that being a parent is more about "forgiving" than "enforcing"?

Or did you play Field-Marshal Von Fred and ground the buggers, reinforcing the parenting model which states that sparing the rod is for raising pansies?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

some of each, in an attempt to match the 'treatment' to their differing personalities.
Although I probably messed up practicing way too strictly on the first one -- not recognizing for years how different each one was from me and from each other.
Oh, I was so sure I knew everything about everything in my youth. Since then I've been learning a lot of what I didn't know I didn't know.
And it continues unabated in my 70's ...
bawldiggle
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bawldiggle »

In the greater scheme of things, wisdom states we don't actually achieve any decent level of respect/awareness for consciousness until we're 70-ish; anyone under that age (and, indeed, most over it) are just permanently napping anyway, dreaming their own utter disdain for long life, no matter how vociferously they deny it - nature says otherwise.
... 'ish next year.
Wisdom is a process (if "one" has the courage to look deep into our shadow) ... not a destination, nor gender, nor a right, nor age, nor education, nor erudite waffle.

Speculating on what "is" wisdom ... is like herding cats.
Do I know myself? What are my agendas? What is the meaning of life and death? What do I avoid and why ? Can I laugh publicly at myself ? Am I judgmental ?
Wisdom has more questions than answers.

Zen moment = standing in front of an open refrigerator ... looking for bog paper [doh!] . . . :moon: