Had to Say It...

Talk about anything

Moderator: Site Mods

theo_neandonly

Had to Say It...

Post by theo_neandonly »

"...render this, Merriam-Webster! I'll clobber you with my proper 22-volume definitive Oxford Edition, which can strike fear into the heart of even the most staunch philologistically lexicographic polyglottologist!" (from this thread)

Kilmatead:
I fucking love you, man! :beer:
Whoever thought that putting CAPS LOCK just above the SHIFT key was a good idea should be shot, hung, drawn-and-quartered, and left locked in a car with rolled-up windows in a mall parking lot on a hot day.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Had to Say It...

Post by Tuxman »

I wonder if he has a blog. I'd read and link it.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Before there were such debased things as blogs, there was the locus communis, the tópos koinós, evolving through personality into the humble Essay...
Wikipedia doth pontificated and wrote:The word essay derives from the French infinitive essayer, "to try" or "to attempt". In English essay first meant "a trial" or "an attempt", and this is still an alternative meaning. The Frenchman Michel de Montaigne was the first author to describe his work as essays; he used the term to characterize these as "attempts" to put his thoughts into writing, and his essays grew out of his commonplacing.
I don't do blogs. Today the informational grotesquery (what I suppose used to be the Zeitgeist) is unfortunately polluted with melancholic and polychromatic shards of the Bibliothèque, the Médiathèque, what Albert Camus referred to as his Carnets - and I adopted [read: mangled] (in the naive and precocious romanticity of youth) as my own style of essais lyriques. We fancied that when Matisse went to the Riviera, there was a softening of his style which some took as regression, a waning, a submission to form, at worst a betrayal of his beloved Fauvism. If confronted, he'd have shrugged and squinted into the light, breathed into the wind, and conceived of Shakespeare as being some kind of lovely radical...
  • When forty winters shall besiege thy brow,
    And dig deep trenches in thy beauty's field,
    Thy youth's proud livery so gazed on now,
    Will be a tattered weed of small worth held
I don't do blogs. I came here for the horse forums, but Fred has since turned them all to dogfood and glue! So sad. So sad. :sad: So now words dribble down my chin mixed with the blood and bile of file-management tech-talk... a man cannot serve two masters, the determined meld them into one, even if a bit of bludgeoning be required.

I don't do blogs. That's what we have here: a violence of civility, mixed with a wee bit o'tech-babble.

I don't do blogs. To paraphrase Montaigne, the internet of people is best served with a caveat of Cyanide: We ourselves are the subjects of our blogs: it is not reasonable that you, dear readers, should employ your leisures on topics so frivolous and so vain.

We fancied thus, and thus we fancied - but we ne'er did we do no bloggin'.

:shrug: :wink:
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

I'm convinced that people would read your comments here even without their context (is there such a thing like a context in your world?).

The "blogosphere" has changed a lot.It's no more "personal logs on teh interwebz", it's "things which didn't fit into 140 characters". Medium.com attracted a couple of people which just wanted to say clever things before it went viral, others just have their occasional top postings. I, for one, use my blog to rant about computers, music and politics. I'm not entirely sure if it's about my person at all.

I consider myself to be an avatar. Probably it's best to do this.

(But then again, "I wonder if he has a blog" is the 2000s version of "I wonder if he has <enter the latest top social network hype here>". The world is spinning too fast. Ironically, in German, "spinnen" means "to be/act crazy". Circles closing, anyone?)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
theo_neandonly

Post by theo_neandonly »

Most excellent! I'm smiling now. :) See?

Too true, Tuxman -- the world is definitely spinnen faster. But the circle never closes... it just reaches the next "rung" of the spiral. ;)
Whoever thought that putting CAPS LOCK just above the SHIFT key was a good idea should be shot, hung, drawn-and-quartered, and left locked in a car with rolled-up windows in a mall parking lot on a hot day.