What is the rule for upgrading to the next version free

Talk about anything

Moderator: Site Mods

fenpeppertree

What is the rule for upgrading to the next version free

Post by fenpeppertree »

I had version 3.1.0.2 and the program updated to version 3.2.0.1. Now it is telling me I need to purchase a license.

I was thinking my version would be free till the program went to 4.0. But now, noticing that is goes it into three figures after the 'main' figure; I guess that could be a pretty long time.

What are the guidelines for how long a paid version is good; till it has to be purchased again?

I'm going to purchase the lifetime updates version so I don't have to be bothered with buying updates, but I would like to make sure that my current version is now due to be a 'paid upgrade'.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: What is the rule for upgrading to the next version free

Post by Kilmatead »

As stated in the recent changelog for 3.2:
Some xplorer² v3.x license holders will need new license keys to use this version. This applies only to those that got a FREE v3 replacement key within their 1-year-free-updates entitlement. If you bought a v3 key or you have a lifetime cover then you won't need to pay again. Only keys that show a date BEFORE 1/1/2015 will need to be replaced.
In other words, when you upgraded to v3 from v2, you received a free license for it at the time, but that license was just an extension of your normal v2 license, and as such only good for the standard single year of upgrade/support.

There was probably some "fine print" at the time about the overlap when you changed licenses, as the idea behind the free v3 license was to provide continuing support for "older but recently purchased" v2 license holders, as not everyone (obviously) purchases these things at the same point within the same cycle.

Normally, as you surmised, a purchased version-license is good for upgrading within that specific version as long as it is supported, and x2 does not have major version changes very often...
fenpeppertree

Post by fenpeppertree »

Thank you for that information.

I originally purchased Xplorer2 Pro back in July of 2014. Although I looked up the receipt, I did not find the version number; but yeah, I'm sure it must have been a '2.x' version and then was upgraded free.

I guess users that buy at the start of a version get a really good deal. I know I have a new license code that I received in January of 2015, which I presume is probably when I got the free upgrade to the 3.0 version. Now that it's over a year later, and the 3.0 version is just at 3.2.0.1, it seems that it might be a while till it reaches 4.0.

It's just a little bit irksome; just a little bit.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

fenpeppertree wrote:I guess users that buy at the start of a version get a really good deal.
I was a little imprecise in my answer... in theory, everyone gets treated the same... the purchasing FAQ does state "Your single user license entitles you to customer support and free upgrades for one year. From then on you may incur surcharges for future xplorer² upgrades." (Hence the reason for the lifetime upgrade assurance, etc.)

It's the "may incur" part which is imprecise - and, as far as I can recall, this is the first time it's ever been strictly enforced for everyone, and largely because of the version changeover.

In theory, Nikos could continuously enforce the 1-year thing for every individual license issued, dated on every single small update like some draconian overlord of legalese, but that's not how it's been in practice for at least the last decade or so. :shrug: In much the same way as he's a little loose on the install-on-more-than-one-computer-that-you-own rule, etc.

So, yeah, broadly speaking it could be seen to be a bit unbalanced, but compared to some companies which enforce their "subscription upgrades" quite vigorously with reminder-emails tailored and timed to the day of your purchase... well, Nikos isn't completely evil. :D

Think of it like buying life-insurance two days before the apocalypse - you'd feel a bit bummed in your last few seconds on Earth that you missed the no-claims-bonus payout. That's the problem with sequential product versions which don't have absolute cycle-deadlines - sometimes the cut-off point feels more arbitrary than fair, but it's difficult to craft a perfect system... :shrug: