Good books? - looking for a few....

Talk about anything

Moderator: Site Mods

susie

Post by susie »

Hi everyone.  I confess I am a readaholic!  I always have to have a book open. And since I'm almost out of books and have two gift certificates for a book store that just opened in our area, I wanted some recommendations - a favorite book you have read or author.
pa sweetie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pa sweetie »

Susie
What kind of books do you like and who is your favorite author.  I enjoy Stephen King and Robin Cook.  Have you read any of them?  Also, just had a book given to me, The Princess Within, by Serita Ann Jakes.  It is more of an inspirational book.  Also, Home is Where The Heart Is is another good book.  Better than the movie.  Pa Sweetie.  :)
susie

Post by susie »

pa sweetie, believe or not the last book I finished was Stephen King's 'The Green Mile'. What an excellent, excellent book!!!!!! I have never read anything else by him, because I have a tendency to stay away from anything in the frightful, suspenseful categories. (Too vivid of an imagination!) I always assumed his books would be that way. I like most fiction. I do seem to read alot of historical and science fiction. I think my favorite author is Anne McCaffrey. She is a science fiction writer whose books always include a close relationship with a certain type of animal - dragons, cats, dolphins, etc. My favorite book of all time is James Clavell's 'Shogun'. I've also read a few of Patricia Cornwell's books lately which are murder mysteries in current times. So except for anything that might 'scare' me, I read just about anything!!! :)
pa sweetie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pa sweetie »

susie yes you either like S. King or not.   I forgot to mention, Sydney Sheldon, you might enjoy his books too.  I just finished The Stars Shine Down.  His have a lot of female heroines in them.  And always has a surprise ending.  You think you know, and at end, not what you thought.  Well happy reading.  Talk to you soon  :)
horsefli

Post by horsefli »

im new at this, so i hope i get this posted right. i too am a readaholic, my favorites so far for the past 6 months are janet evenovichs, she has 6 books so far out and june she will do #7. dinah mc call had a excellent book out called the return...you wont be bored reading that. now im reading neighborhood watch by andrew neiderman. its an older book but really intrigueing..
susie

Post by susie »

Hi horsefli, I wrote those authors names down and when I get to a book store I'll look them up. I don't ever remember ever hearing those names before. A girl I work with lent me a book I can't wait to start. It's called 'A Coal Miner's Bride' about a 14 year old girl coming from Poland to an arranged marriage in PA, in 1896 and is written in diary form. I also borrowed a John Grisham book. I have yet to read anything by him. So many books... so little time...
Ash

Post by Ash »

Hi everyone ! I am also an advid reader and I just recently finished a series of books by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins called the "Left Behind" series. They were in my opinion awesume! They're basically a Christian thriller on prophecy-based fiction. Basically its a senerio of earths last days. One person's view of how the world may end. It's 8 books in total <so far> and I couldnt wait till I finished one to start the next. They definately classify as a blockbuster sucess~ :)
pa sweetie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pa sweetie »

Hey Ash, sounds like interesting reading.  I may have to check out the series.  I love books you can't put down and can't wait to start the next.  :)
susie

Post by susie »

The book I have decided to read next is a nonfiction that my brother recommended to me years ago. I've owned the book for about 4 years now and have started it several times but have never gotten very far in it. This time I am determined to read it through before starting another book. The book is 'Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus. Has anybody else ever read it and what did you think of it? My brother thought it was very good and suggested that anyone in a relationship should read it.
pa sweetie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pa sweetie »

Hi Susie, like you, I started it but never got very far.  I put it in the book case and haven't picked it up again.  Let me know if it is a good book. :)  You know, they do have a whole video series on it, perhaps I might watch that instead, lol.  I just finished a  book that a Doctor at work recommended, Catch 22.  That was a hard one for me to get into, but was determined to finish it.  I might read it again, now that I understand it a little better, :)
susie

Post by susie »

pa sweetie, I read a little bit today and it put me right to sleep! Of course, the weather outside probably didn't help at all - gray, rainy, and windy. :yuck:  I can't remember if I read the book 'Catch 22'. I am familiar with that title. What is it about?
Ash

Post by Ash »

I read the  book,,, was  boring in my opinion,,, would have listened to the audio instead while  sitting in  traffic maybe would have been more interesting then . LOL
Ash

Post by Ash »

Oh by the way, just finished Steven King book "Hearts in Atlantis" was way dif of his normal writings. Still held a little of the unexpected thrill, but was more based on reality of Vietnam yet started as,,, maybe i shouldn't say for anyone who wants to read it. I found the book very confusing at times. It jumped from senerio to senerio quite a bit. Can't say it was a bad book, but I was dissapointed of Steven King by the end totally NOT him. :(
Ash

Post by Ash »

Has anyone read the  Harry Potter series?
susie

Post by susie »

Ash, I haven't read the series though a friend of mine was surprised that I hadn't. She thought it was just up my alley. I forget, what are they about?