Kicking the Habit or Kicking the Bucket. - Support and advice to quit smoking.

Talk about anything

Moderator: Site Mods

Linda
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Linda »

Hi Everyone,
I still have the patch on!
Day 28.
Bet you all thought the reason I haven't been on the computer was that I failed and was embarrassed to admit it.
No, I'm still smoke free and I still have all my fingernails and haven't treatened to kill anyone......but I do not think I'm out of the woods yet or that I will ever not want a cigarette.
Hope everyone else has been doing well.
Hey Charm...who said I was ready? If I wait til I'm ready I'll be waiting forever.
Glad to see he :cool: quit too!
susie

Post by susie »

Hi Linda, that's great!!! Actually you are right. I know I was wondering why you haven't been on the boards lately. :biggrin: It does take a long time to get out of the woods. Though with time it will get easier and easier. It could be many years before you lose your desire completely to have a cigarette on certain occassions. How much money have you saved so far? Are you keeping track?
Linda
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Linda »

Susie,
I haven't actually been putting &#363.50 away everyday, but 28 days @ &#363.50 a pack comes to  &#3698.00.
But then if you deduct the cost of the nicotine patch......but we don't count that!
Actually they should be free.
I don't remember any warnings on the cigarette packs that said:
"Warning! Smoking will become a permanant addiction.  Any attempt to quit will make the life of you and those around miserable and can even endanger the lives of those you come in contact with while attempting to quit."
The tobacco companies should have to supply nicotine patches and gum and straws free of charge as part of their new "friendly image, debt to society, tired of getting sued campaign".
Yeah, right!
But anyway I'm doing okay with it.
pa sweetie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pa sweetie »

Congrats Linda, so happy for you :)  And you are right, the patches and other should be free, or a lot less expensive.  Then maybe more  people would be able to give it a try.  But then again, that's exactly what the tobacco companies don't want. :(  One day I do hope to try again, but not right now, too much other stress to add more.  I'm with Charm, perhaps her and I may be ready about the same time.  I hope you are keeping notes to share with the rest of us.  Hey a little manual for your friends on kicking the nicotine habit :)  And I'll share the profits with ya, :cheesy:   Thought I better offer before our friend Sal did...:evilgrin:  Good luck again.  Keep us posted.
susie

Post by susie »

I've decided that quitting the smoking habit is alot like getting over a relationship in which you still love but you were left. LOL The only thing different is that usually with a lost love you don't have a choice about taking him or her back. You have to go thru the hard core withdrawal stage of rejection and then little by little you start getting over the other person. It all takes TIME!!!!
Linda
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Linda »

I would have to say it's more like getting out of a bad relationship.
You think you love the person but know the relationship is bad for you.  
You make excuses for the person and think if you stick with them long enough it will get better.  
Then you get brave and end it...only to find yourself back with that person a few months down the road.  You go through this viscous cycle over & over until you finally really realize the relationship is going to kill you if you don't end it for good.
And you either end the relationship or except the fact that you will stay in it and die.
Quitting smoking, unfortunately, feels like you are losing a long time friend, but we all know it's a bad friend.
Hard to say good bye to.
pa sweetie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pa sweetie »

Wow Linda and Susie, great comparisons,  can't add anything much.  Just that withdrawl is painful.  And hope you are still doing well Linda.  How long has it been now?  And any hints you can pass on?  :)
Charm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Charm »

congrats linda..love the comparisons.  maybe after we devour a batch of choc chip cookies we'll mull on the idea of quitting ... right sweetie? :biggrin:
Luvzfufu
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Luvzfufu »

Wow way to go , I too need to stop smoking, but i just can't seem to bring myself to do that , I have lot's of stress also and everytime I try to stop and fail. But I am not going to give up I know that I would feel better if I did and it would make my daughters very happy, They don't like that I smoke. I am not sure why I even started I was 28 and had never smoked untill then. I wish I had never started. But who knows reading all of this has inspired me :cool:
Linda
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Linda »

Yesterday was the two month mark!
Of course I still would like to have one but it gets easier not too.  I wish I could say that I don't want one but I won't lie.  Unfortunately I may be one of the people that never stops wanting a smoke.  But there are other things that I would like, like being able to breathe without wheezing.  So it's just a choice.  Can't have everything, I guess!!??!!
susie

Post by susie »

Yeah Linda!!!! From your cheering section. :)
pa sweetie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pa sweetie »

Congrats Linda :biggrin:  Keep up the good work.  :)
Linda
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Linda »

Thanks everyone..........now can I have one as a reward for doing so good?   Just joking!
pa sweetie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pa sweetie »

lol Linda, phew you scared me there for a minute.  :o
keep up the good work :thumbup: