Kicking the Habit or Kicking the Bucket. - Support and advice to quit smoking.

Talk about anything

Moderator: Site Mods

Linda
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Linda »

I have again for the third time put on the nicotine patch and threw away the cigarettes. Only 4 days so far but doing pretty well.
I am looking for support to kick the habit for good this time.
Any suggestions....even attempts to scare :o with horror story will be accepted.

Mim, I too worry about the weight gain that usually comes along with quitting, so if you see any bottles with genies send it my way. :wink:

Linda
Mim

Post by Mim »

ok Linda... I am gonna go for it again too... I have some patches left from the last attempt... We can do this...
My doctor told me to drink lots of water... my water sucks :yuck: so tomorrow (Monday) I am gonna go get some bottled water and a supply of straws... lol... then I will get rid of the ashtrays and clean the house really good to get rid of the smell... after all that I am hanging a "beware" sign outside the front door... and I better call my mother-in-law and tell her to get the spare bedroom ready in case my husband has to make a quick get-away....
As of February 4th I am smoking :cool: 2 - 2 1/2 packs a day... So I really need to quit very badly... I will post progress here and any tips I come across...
Mim :biggrin:

I am on the lookout for that genie...
susie

Post by susie »

I wish both of you luck. I wish I had some advice, but I smoked along time ago and had been only smoking a few years when I gave it up for good. But when I did, I 1) couldn't believe back then how much money I started saving and 2) how my sense of smell got better. I think sometimes too you need to have a good reason.. I always felt I had weak lungs and even after a few years of smoking would cough so hard that I would gag sometimes and that was a turn off. And just to give a success story from a hard-core smoker - my mother started smoking when she was 14 years old. She finally quit when she was 64. She finally stopped becuase she felt she was way too out of breath and used the patch to quit and hasn't smoked since! So you guys can do it, too!!!! P.S. Find something to do when you usually smoke the most. I quit when I was still going to bars and I used to chew on the twizzler stick in my drink. LOL

(Edited by susie at 6:39 pm on Feb. 5, 2001)
Linda
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Linda »

It's day 5.  
Today the urge was trying to pull me to the store where I know they have cigarettes.
But somehow I managed to resist.
With smoking, unlike with the Borg, resistance is NOT futile.  
I resisted the urge and made it home without stopping at the store.  I needed milk, too, but decided I would do without it until I was feeling strong enough to avoid the cigarettes in the store.
Mim,
I read today to not get discouraged on quitting no matter how many times you may have tryed and failed because your odds of succeeding actually increases with everytime you quit.  
Sort of like getting back on the horse, I guess.
So get back on your horse & try it again. You can do it!
Mim

Post by Mim »

Congrats!!! on day 5 Linda... I just finished my last cig this evening... tomorrow is the start and I can't wait to post my day 5... I am a little anxious but I know that will pass... and if it is supposed to get easier everytime I quit then it should be pretty easy this time...
Keep up the good work Linda.... :)

Thanks for the encouragement Susie  :) ... I have a stash of straws near the computer seeing that where I smoked the most...

Mim...

(Edited by Mim at 9:31 pm on Feb. 6, 2001)
susie

Post by susie »

I just remembered something else I did to help me quit. I told absolutely everyone I knew that I had quit. That way when I was with people I had more incentive not to light one up when a strong urge was upon me. It added a little more restraint on my part. Every little bit helps....
pa sweetie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pa sweetie »

Congrats Mim and Linda, I wish you all the luck in the world.  I know how difficult it is.  I too am a smoker and have tried quitting unsuccessfully.  I plan on trying again, but at the moment too much stress in my life and I know I would fail again.  I read your posts each day and hope to utilize your suggestions and successes when I again try.  Suzie, yours are a big help.  I too know the dangers of smoking as well as anyone, because I see the lasting affects and damage it causes where I work.  I thought working in the ED would be a deterant, it has helped me cut down, but not quit all together.  So best of luck to the two of you, you can do it, and when I give it another try, will let you know.  In mean time, gonna stock up on straws and place near computer, :cheesy:   :)
Mim

Post by Mim »

Well I am sad to say it is not going as I had planned... I think the most important thing for me to do was tell my husband I was quitting... I didn't and he brought me home a carton of cigs... I caved!!!... but on a good note, I have gone for 2 - 2 1/2 packs down to 1 pack a day... no smoking in the car or house...
Mim...
Sweetie

Post by Sweetie »

You guys can do it if you really want to. I know that's easier said than done, but you have taken that first step. Wanting to quit. I think I want to but when life tosses me those little curves, I don't think I want to quit. I have tried many times to quit but I don't think I have the will power. I have been smoking for about 16 yrs and I have 4 kids, a husband, and a lot of stress. I'm over weight as it is and I'm scared it will get worse if I quit now. I'm doing good on losing my weight, so I guess quiting smoking will be next. But first, I have to want to quit. I'm not sure I could quit even if I wanted to. My husband doesn't smoke and he hounds me all the time about it. I think I smoke now just to hound him. Oh well, good luck to anyone who trys to quit (even if you try over and over), just know you can do anything you want to as long as your heart, mind, and soul are into it.  If you have support from family or friends it helps.
Straws are good and so is hard candy (sugar free of course)
susie

Post by susie »

Hi Sweetie, I have to laugh at what you said about hounding your husband. Sometimes I think that's the real reason my mother took so long to quit!!! (LOL) My father hated her smoking and always had 'remarks' to make about it. :biggrin:
Linda
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Linda »

Hi everyone & thanks for your support.
Day 11.
&#3638.50 not spent on cigarettes......I always bought them by the pack because I was always saying that this pack was the last.
I wish I could say I'm doing good but believe me I am not yet at the point that leaving me alone with a cigarette would be a good thing.  
Sweetie

Post by Sweetie »

Susie, my husband is always asking me if I really need a cigarette, and I tell him NO! I jsut really want it right now. He hates the smell of it and just blow it in front of him. He gets over it. I don't drink and he does so I feel like if he wants a beer and gets it then why can't I have my smoke.... lol.... I don't ask him to buy them  but he better not ask me to buy beer either.....
susie

Post by susie »

Linda, I hope you do realize that by posting this on the bulletin board, we are all going to be WATCHING your progress. LOL Congrats on day 11!!
pa sweetie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pa sweetie »

Congrats Linda, still watching your progress.  :) So what you going to buy with the savings?  It might help to have your mind set on something or going some place special.  We are behind you 100%.  Who knows you may inspire us all.  :)  And putting it on here may be a good thing, it is an incentive.  Keep us posted :cheesy:
Charm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Charm »

well this is the first attempt at even checking this forum on quitting smoking .... is that a sign...:bigsmile:  omg sal even took the ciggy out of the emoticons :cool: mouth..... well good luck to you all.. I guess i'm just not ready yet...:biggrin: