Greek Easter

Post by vserghi »

Χριστός Ανέστη!! to all our Orthodox friends
Vas
ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ZoNi »

Just small adding - it was not Greek Eastern, it was Orthodox Eastern ;)

Serbian greeting on that day is (in Old Serbian):

HRISTOS VOSKRESE! (= "Christ arise!")

And the answer is:

VOISTINU VOSKRESE! (= "It is the truth!")
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

It's sounds the same in russian.
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ZoNi »

wasker wrote:It's sounds the same in russian.
I guess so - Old Serbian is actually (Old) Slavic, which was same (or similar) in all Slavic languages ;)
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

FWIW, the translation to English I hear from a visitor returning from Moldova is as follows:
Greeting: "Christ has risen!"  
Response: "Indeed (he) has risen!"
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

ZoNi wrote:Just small adding - it was not Greek Eastern, it was Orthodox Eastern ;)
Sorry I realise that I should of put Eastern Orthodox, but I did put Orthodox friends in the main body.

Any way the Greek reply is Alithos Anesti or Alithos O Kirios
Which converts to "He has truly risen" or "He is truly our Lord" respectively
Vas
Brig
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Brig »

Conversely FWIW, also celebrating birthdays (but not re-birthdays) recently were Richard Dawkins (26 March), Daniel Dennett (28 March), and Christopher Hitchens (13 April).  :wink:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

alithos o kyrios!
i'm just back from a 3-day non-stop meat feast -- i'm never eating again  :yum:

brig, what's the angle on your behaviourist take on consciousness? ;)
Brig
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Brig »

nikos wrote:. . . brig, what's the angle on your behaviourist take on consciousness? ;)
Well, since you put me on the spot I'll have to admit I don't know much about the finer points of Dennett's work. But the idea that consciousness and its contents are aspects of behavior and the brain seems right to me. He and Dawkins (and Sam Harris) make strong cases for the evolutionary/biological/neurological nature of what many folks lazily assume is, let's say, "divinely ephemeral" and "bequeathed from above." And the idea that consciousness is a naturally selected quality, "organic" or "home-grown," if you will, takes nothing away from the experience being conscious. I love it. For the most part, of course. And I want it to last for as long as the "most part" is love and wonder and amazement.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the mystery of consciousness, free will and the like are my favorite reading topic -- i'm no expert but enjoy reading what's on. I just didn't see your angle regarding easter. Are you making an atheist stance?
Brig
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Brig »

nikos wrote:the mystery of consciousness, free will and the like are my favorite reading topic -- i'm no expert but enjoy reading what's on.
Me too. Although I lean more toward the philosophical approach than the hard scientific one--for reading enjoyment anyway.
nikos wrote:I just didn't see your angle regarding easter. Are you making an atheist stance?
Oh, I see. Yes, atheist to be sure.

Dropping the names of a few prominent atheists into a discussion about Jesus and "rising" and all that, I was just trying to be a friendly smart aleck. I hope it was perceived as friendly.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I hope it was perceived as friendly.
oh sure -- just stay away from orthodox countries (greece etc) :D
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I took the three names you dropped as an alternative "Trinity" to stir the pot.   :ok:
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

At least Brig didn't mention Charles Darwin, Melville Dewey and Madalyn Murray O'Hare.  That "trinity" of more commonly familiar names -- at least here in the States -- would have definately stirred the pot!

And a warm "He is risen indeed!" to everyone else!
PJ in (sunny) FL

"The hardest thing to admit is what you don't know"
Brig
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Brig »

just stay away from orthodox countries (greece etc)
And much of the United States. You might be surprised by the extent and depth of superstition here. I took a class in linguistics a few years ago and one of the students liked to tell anybody who would listen that the Earth is 6,000 years old. This was in Detroit at a major public university. :shock:
I took the three names you dropped as an alternative "Trinity" to stir the pot.
:D Indeed! Then again, three is just a good, strong number for lists--it's not just for theists and numerologists anymore.
At least Brig didn't mention Charles Darwin, Melville Dewey and Madalyn Murray O'Hare.  That "trinity" of more commonly familiar names -- at least here in the States -- would have definately stirred the pot!
At least someone did! Big names from the past, for sure. (Although, all I know about Melvil Dewey is that he was a librarian and invented the Dewey Decimal System for book classification. Was he also an atheist/freethinker? John Dewey was a pretty good thinker.) And Darwin is always relevant. But Dawkins, Dennett, Hitchens, and Harris are the rock stars of atheism right now. (Dennett is the John Entwhistle of the group.)