Windows 10 Photos app opens only single image

Support for xplorer² free lite version

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

tilgrieog

Windows 10 Photos app opens only single image

Post by tilgrieog »

Hi, not sure if this question has been asked before, and I suspect it affects more file explorers than just xplorer2. Anyway appreciate if anyone else has noticed.

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and am choosing to use the new Photos app which comes built in to view images. (I liked the original Win XP photo viewer but hated the fullscreen Win 7/8 Photos app, but now they've remembered Windows is best as a desktop experience I've skipped to the new viewer.)

When I open an image file from Windows Explorer, I get a slideshow style view where I can skip left/right to cycle through photos in the folder. This is a handy way to view all photos in one folder.
However, when I open the same image from xplorer2, the Photos app opens but I don't get the slideshow buttons. The app seems to open only the single image file itself and is not aware of other photos in the folder, so the left/right carousel buttons don't appear and the left/right keys don't do anything.

Is there some difference in how Windows Explorer and xplorer2 open image files with the new Win 10 Photos app so they have a different context of the file's folder?

Thanks in advance!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Windows 10 Photos app opens only single image

Post by nikos »

I think I've heard of this one before but I don't know why it happens. Probably some under the table undocumented communication among MS products. Have you tried right click + OPEN menu command, to see if it is any better?
MKairys
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MKairys »

Y'know, I thought that was just because the photo app sucks and I went back to Photo Gallery just to get next/prev arrows. But I always use xplorer2, so I never noticed I would get the arrows if I opened a jpg in explorer.
tilgrieog

Post by tilgrieog »

Sorry I only just got around to replying here.
nikos wrote:I think I've heard of this one before but I don't know why it happens. Probably some under the table undocumented communication among MS products. Have you tried right click + OPEN menu command, to see if it is any better?
No, this doesn't work either. I can't find a way to launch the Photos app from xplorer2 that gives me the next/prev buttons.
MKairys wrote:Y'know, I thought that was just because the photo app sucks and I went back to Photo Gallery just to get next/prev arrows. But I always use xplorer2, so I never noticed I would get the arrows if I opened a jpg in explorer
Yeah... the photos app in Windows 8 sucked (IMO) but I don't mind the new Win 10 one. The old Win 8 viewer, however, actually did give me these arrow buttons even when opened from xplorer2. It seems to be a new thing in 10 that the app forgets about the context of the folder. It's pretty annoying because I can't launch a photo album in my chosen viewer from xplorer2 now :(
MKairys
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MKairys »

I'd like to reopen this topic because it really is an annoyance to me.

Windows 10 latest, Xplorer2 4.0.0.2 ULT x64. Windows 10 Photos app is my default for images. When X2 opens an image from within a folder of images, the Photos app comes up with no backward/forward arrows and no way to get to the other images in the folder. When WE opens the same image the Photos app comes up with the appropriate arrows. Click, right-click | Open, Open with | Photos makes no difference.

If I want to be able to browse the folder from within the viewer app I have to remember to right-click | Open with and choose another viewer, so it really is something of an annoyance. Thanks for listening :)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the only solution I can offer on this weird problem is to first select all pics in the folder with CTRL+A then press ENTER to open them with this photo viewer. Or install something decent like irfanview for your pics
MKairys
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MKairys »

...select all pics in the folder with CTRL+A

Thanks, that's a good idea, seems to work.
Yes, I have plenty of other photo viewers :)