File copy (etc) functions not multitasking as in the past

Support for xplorer² free lite version

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

TenYearsGone

File copy (etc) functions not multitasking as in the past

Post by TenYearsGone »

I seem to have a unique issue, I can't find any related information.

In the past, using xplorer2 lite (or any other file management apps, for that matter), I could perform multiple tasks and still continue to use xplorer2 lite, MS File Explorer, file search applications, Free Commander XE, etc. as normal while my file tasks completed in the background.

What I mean is that, for example, I could start a large file copy or file move task, and while that was taking place I could still use xplorer2 lite to move around viewing directories, and also could start other file operations such as another copy operation, etc.

Recently I have found that when I start a file copy task (again, as an example), that I cannot use xplorer2 lite to browse around other directories while this file copy task is taking place. It is as if some kind of "multitasking" function has stopped working. While the example file copy task is in motion, I cannot use any windows file explorer types of programs I have running. I have to wait for the single initial task to finish. In the past, I could perform multiple file tasks and they would all show in a progress status window. If I did more, then one more would be added to the progress status window. Now, when this single task is taking place, I can't use ANY applications that are related to my PC file functions.

I thought that maybe I had mistakenly checked a box in the settings that focuses all processing power on one task and disables what I'm calling file task "multitasking". I looked and didn't see anything obvious. I realize that this issue isn't even necessarily tied to or related to xplorer2 lite.

If anyone can understand what I am describing here, and/or can offer any input, I would greatly appreciated it. Because this issue is a great step backwards in my efficient usage of my computer use time!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: File copy (etc) functions not multitasking as in the pas

Post by nikos »

that sounds weird. Did you change anything recently e.g. new antivirus or new windows? Generally speaking when you have a copy operation active you shouldn't start a new one, but browsing to other folders shouldn't be a problem

instead of drag-drop try copy/paste the files, and see if it makes any difference. You can also have a look at xplorer2 professional, which has a dedicated thread for copying, so it shouldn't affect your normal browsing during large file operations
www.zabkat.com/tour3a.htm
TenYearsGone

Post by TenYearsGone »

Thanks for the quick response!

Yes, weird indeed, as I've been able to do for years what I can't do now, for some reason. And only since just very recently, within a week or so.

I will run my antivirus & anti-malware utilities, and check the startup programs too, just in case.

I didn't change anything recently that I can recall, but there are always new updates, etc. Just did a big Windows Updates install, but I don't know if that's the culprit, it is hard to say. No new windows, I'm using 8.1. No no antivirus.

It has almost all been drag & drop, I will try copy/paste to see if that makes any difference. I believe I will upgrade to xplorer 2 professional and see if that helps. I know that there is a setting in FreeCommander XE which lets you choose between Windows file operations and FreeCommander's own file operations. I initially thought that somewhere, in some program, that maybe I chose some kind of dedicated process grabber that didn't allow the file functions to multitask... but after some searching I can find nothing of the kind.

Thank you for the advice.
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

@TenYearsGone: Is the target location across a network?

I've found x2 usually stops responding when copying or moving files across a network link, either home or work, however the root problem may still be in the OS.

Can you try Teracopy to perform the same operation and see if the explorer programs are locked up while the transfer is in progress?

---------------------------
PJ in (sunny and hot) FL
TenYearsGone

Post by TenYearsGone »

PJ, no, the PC with this issue is not on a network. Just a bunch of USB and internal drives. Windows 8.1, and a relatively new, fast, lots-of-memory PC.

This is the only time in years, on any PC, ever, really, that I've experienced this. At work, on our network, I don't even have this issue there using network drives with xplorer2 lite, so I think you're right, the root of this problem lies elsewhere.

I don't really want to re-install windows or restore, but I might have to do that if all else fails. I have a lot of software installed and I don't know what might have caused this. Didn't notice exactly when it started (just recently, in general), so can't tie it to specific software really.

I haven't found much info about this issue yet in Google searching, but the search terms are problematic, too wide ranging. "Windows Explorer file copy not multitasking", etc. isn't getting me anywhere.

So for now my plan is to run my virus and malware scans (although it isn't behaving like either), then uninstall/reinstall some software, and if that fails try to restore progressively back a few points to see if this corrects the issue. Worst-case is to reinstall Windows I guess (or upgrade to Windows 10) but I really don't want to do either.

I appreciate your input.

Oh yeah, I will try Teracopy too, first.

Thanks!