Mouse cursor jumps top-left

Support for xplorer² free lite version

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

tilgrieog

Mouse cursor jumps top-left

Post by tilgrieog »

Hi,

I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this problem, or why it's started suddenly happening for me. I just downloaded the latest 32 bit Lite version (3.5.0.2) but found the same result.

- When I first open xplorer2 after starting my PC, I use it and everything works normally, however
- At some point after navigating through folders and scrolling a bit (I haven't experimented enough to see what triggers it but it's about 5 minutes after normal use), this weird behaviour:
- When I left click and drag the cursor in the main window in order to select multiple files, as soon as I start moving the mouse after left-click, the cursor instantly jumps to the top left corner of the screen. The mouse button is still held down, so this means I have selected all the files above the cursor, and the window starts scrolling up (since I'm still dragging above the window contents).

I just found another point to add:
- This problem only occurs if there are no files in the window selected. So if I leave the files erroneously selected in that state, I can go back and drag and select files again, and it works as normal. If I clear the selection by clicking outside the filenames (I have full row selection off), then dragging causes the jump again.

I can quit xplorer2 and restart, but the behaviour is still there. I find rebooting Windows seems to make it work normally, for a few minutes at least.

Not sure where to go with this. Any suggestions on things to check / more info to provide?

Much appreciated! :D

P.S. I should add that obviously I've tested Windows Explorer and other apps and ruled out this behaviour anywhere else!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mouse cursor jumps top-left

Post by nikos »

this is a known bug for windows desktop applications. It appears that Microsoft, instead of fixing it, went the wrong way and messed it up for 32 bit programs like xplorer2 lite too!?

is your windows 32 or 64 bit?
tilgrieog

Post by tilgrieog »

Ahhh... cool! I'm surprised that was such a straightforward answer, and even with my limited knowledge of programming I understand it completely. :D

(Although it's no closer to fixing the problem I guess :( )

I'm on Win 10 Home 64 bit. Build 16299.192. So I guess that when it started happening only a week ago I must have got these updates just prior.

Thanks heaps for the quick response! Should I assume there's nothing I can do but wait for Microsoft?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I don't think there's any other solution. If it was just a paint bug I could somehow patch it, but the mouse jumping... how can I detect or avoid that? impossible!

the consolation is that it only happens when you try to do lasso selection. Perhaps I will add a flag to disable lasso selection :idea:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I've just heard from a MS insider that the bug has been fixed so in the coming weeks it should arrive to a PC near you!