Using xplorer2 lite to xfer photos from iPhone5s to PC

Support for xplorer² free lite version

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

PaulMWhiting

Using xplorer2 lite to xfer photos from iPhone5s to PC

Post by PaulMWhiting »

I tried this (see Subject line) and it worked beautifully. I connected a cable between my iPhone and an open USB on the PC. On the left pane I chose c:\ and on the right pane I called up a folder where I wanted the photos to be saved. I tapped on the c:\ again and got to My Computer. In the list of devices I found "Paul's iPhone". Once there I was able to easily copy files from the iPhone to my PC.

There are many apps out there to do this, but being able to use xplorer2lite, which I was already familiar with, was a pleasant surprise. One hitch however: I couldn't move photos back from the PC to the iPhone. Perhaps the paid version would allow this. I'm trying to install the 14 day trial period for the paid version but am having a bit of trouble. I'm a newbie here so please bear with me!

TIA,

Paul

PS: My xplorer lite up to date, it is now version 4.0.0.2. - and my PC is running Win 10.
PaulMWhiting

Re: Using xplorer2 lite to xfer photos from iPhone5s to PC

Post by PaulMWhiting »

Well, I got the 64bit trial paid version installed and had the same trouble, ie, I can copy files from the iPhone to my PC but not from the PC back to the iPhone.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

can you transfer pics to your iPhone using windows explorer?
PaulMWhiting

Post by PaulMWhiting »

Good question, Nikos. It will be a day or two till I get a chance to try Windows Explorer. In the meantime, I got to thinking that if we solve this, and you can tweak xplorer2 (both lite and paid versions) to allow transferring between iPhone and PC, that this would be a helpful marketing tool for your product. I don't need to tell you this of course, but more and more people are using smartphones for photography. And I'll bet many of those same people are using xplorer2.

I'll post my results as soon as I can - stay tuned!

Regards,

Paul
Last edited by PaulMWhiting on 2018 Jun 28, 18:14, edited 1 time in total.
PaulMWhiting

Post by PaulMWhiting »

Dear Nikos,

Well, I have the same problem in Windows Explorer (now, in Windows 10, known as File Explorer - that threw me off a bit!), That is, I can copy a file from iPhone to my PC, but not vice versa. BTW, I wonder whether an Android phone would do the trick. Any Android users out there care to try?

Paul
PaulMWhiting

Post by PaulMWhiting »

Very sorry, Nikos, but I think it fact my test file did transfer back from the PC to the iPhone. While working on another project I found it in the root folder, two or three folders down from where it belonged. Let me spend some more time testing before you spend any more time on this.

Paul
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

from what I remember with android phones, if you try to copy files to the top level folder they end up one folder down.
this problem shouldn't occur for "normal" folders deep inside your phone
sorry I cannot be of more help as these phone copy modules are black boxes as far as xplorer2 is concerned. For more information see
www.zabkat.com/blog/extract-android-phone-pictures.htm
PaulMWhiting

Post by PaulMWhiting »

Nikos,

That post regarding Android phones was helpful... my iPhone behaves almost identically insofar as copying files from the phone to the PC. But again, not the other way around. Thanks for that link!

And your comment about the phone being a "black box" was helpful too. I think I'll have to give up on this quest for now, thanks for trying to help me find a solution!

Regards,

Paul